News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

WWJD? Kill sick gay people, evidently.

Started by pinkocommie, February 18, 2010, 04:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elliebean

Quote from: "Typist"
Quote from: "Kylyssa"Sure, only some theists are obsessed with homosexuality - but they're killing people!  Human beings dead

Are you interested in theists, or in gays?   If the later, then you'll give just as big a speech when atheists kill gays.   Have you done so?  Can you provide the link?

As best I can recall, we're well in to this thread now, and so far nobody has shown any concern for events where atheists kill gays.  

That's why it seems reasonable to offer the theory that posters aren't actually all that interested in gays, but are just grabbing yet another chance to hate theists.   Honestly, let's not drift in to the same generalizing mindsets that allow people to rationalize actions like the Ugandans are taking.  Ok?

Finally, conclusive evidence that there is no longer any good reason to ever reply to another one of Typist's innane posts. Obviously he will say anything just to continue talking, as long as it's contrary to anything said by any atheist and never actually makes a point.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

karadan

Quote from: "Typist"I gotta agree.  Some theists are indeed obsessed with homosexuality.   They never seem to get that their obsession looks a lot weirder than any flavor of sex.  

The good news is that with every day that passes, these folks are dying off, being replaced by a younger generation that seems refreshingly free of this prejudice.  Only a few more years, and this sick circus will pass.

We should also recognize that there are plenty of theists who embrace the gay community.   Not to mention, there are lots of gay theists.

That may be true to a point in the western world but I'm pretty sure you'd be very hard pressed to find any gay clergy in Uganda. I think your prediction of a few more years is quite a bit off, though. You only have to visit any pro-gay vids on youtube and read some of the comments there to realise that the fundamentalist attitude is still very prevalent. Remember, these people have babies and bring up their children to think the same way.

I have a video of Anita Bryant getting a pie in the face on my youtube account and I regularly have to delete hate comments. I leave the intolerant stuff up but when people start saying 'all fags should die', I just hit delete and ban them. I can't be arsed to try and reason with people of that mindset. The correlation I've seen from looking at these people's accounts is that most tend to be religiously oriented and usually have some sort of jesus symbol as their avatar. I'm not saying all christians hate gays but there is definitely a strong correlation between religious motivation and the mistrust or hatred of homosexuals. The bible teaches it, after all.

Of course, there are gay clergy in the more forward-thinking countries and that is to be applauded, but this thread was originally about the death penalties for homosexuals in Uganda. It doesn't mean any of us are disregarding any good facets of tolerant theists.

I think some of your preconceptions about the motivation of some of the users on this forum are misplaced.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Typist

Quote from: "Kylyssa"Next you'll tell us we shouldn't bash on the Islamic extremists that took down the world trade center because atheists have killed people, too.

Next I will tell you that we should be careful to praise the wonderful qualities of the vast majority of muslims while we aim our outrage at the tiny minority of muslim terrorists.

Same thing for theists of other flavors.  The overwhelming vast majority of Christians have no interest whatsoever in killing gays.  If we want to be clear minded, logical and fair, this very large fact needs to be part of the story too.

Typist

Quote from: "elliebean"Finally, conclusive evidence that there is no longer any good reason to ever reply to another one of Typist's innane posts. Obviously he will say anything just to continue talking, as long as it's contrary to anything said by any atheist and never actually makes a point.

TIP:   When we can't figure out how to debate a post, debate the poster!

pinkocommie

Quote from: "elliebean"Finally, conclusive evidence that there is no longer any good reason to ever reply to another one of Typist's innane posts. Obviously he will say anything just to continue talking, as long as it's contrary to anything said by any atheist and never actually makes a point.

TIP:   When we can't figure out how to debate a post, debate the poster!

It's interesting that you're attempting to dismiss Ellie by insinuating she can't figure out how to debate your posts when Ellie is clearly saying your posts aren't worth debating.   :hmm:
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Typist

Quote from: "pinkocommie"It's interesting that you're attempting to dismiss Ellie by insinuating she can't figure out how to debate your posts when Ellie is clearly saying your posts aren't worth debating.   :hmm:

Then why is she debating them?   Like you, she wants to debate, and position herself above debate, at the same time.   It's intellectually dishonest.  

It's perfectly legal, and I don't mind, but it makes you look silly to keep saying I'm not worth reading and replying to, and yet you keep reading and replying to my posts.  

You're having an argument with yourself.  Resolve it, and your statements will seem more credible.

pinkocommie

Quote from: "pinkocommie"It's interesting that you're attempting to dismiss Ellie by insinuating she can't figure out how to debate your posts when Ellie is clearly saying your posts aren't worth debating.   lol  Thanks for the laugh, super buddy.

Typist

Quote from: "pinkocommie"Wait, you're whining about someone else being intellectually dishonest?   lol  Thanks for the laugh, super buddy.

TIP:   If we can't figure out how to debate a post, debate the poster!

TIP:  To look silly, declare something pointless, and then repeatedly do it in public.

elliebean

Quote from: "karadan"I have a video of Anita Bryant getting a pie in the face on my youtube account

Link, please!  :D
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Kylyssa

Quote from: "Kylyssa"Next you'll tell us we shouldn't bash on the Islamic extremists that took down the world trade center because atheists have killed people, too.

Next I will tell you that we should be careful to praise the wonderful qualities of the vast majority of muslims while we aim our outrage at the tiny minority of muslim terrorists.

Same thing for theists of other flavors.  The overwhelming vast majority of Christians have no interest whatsoever in killing gays.  If we want to be clear minded, logical and fair, this very large fact needs to be part of the story too.

Again, where did I or anyone say all Christians or most Christians?  

Go watch the news.  When the evening news tells us about a shooting do they then go on to explain that not all humans shoot people and that there are plenty of good humans in the world?  Do they have to?  Do they have to to be fair minded?  95% of the people I know are Christian.  Are you assuming because I don't follow every statement about Christian terrorist extremists with "and most Christians, while they don't actively condemn Christian terrorist extremists, are perfectly fine people" that I think 95% of the people I know are Christian terrorist extremists?  I'd even lay what little money I have on a bet that less than one percent of American Christians would kill a gay person for being homosexual, given the opportunity.  

Now, I'd never make the same bet about Ugandan Christians.  There surely are some Ugandan Christians fighting against the Christian terrorist extremists in charge of the government but I'd bet that far, far more than one percent of Ugandan Christians would kill a homosexual person, given the opportunity.

If you aren't one of the Christian terrorist extremists then why are you offended when people call out the Christian terrorist extremists?  Why aren't YOU offended by the Christian terrorist extremists making a mockery of your "religion of peace"?  Why aren't YOU offended by the American Christian terrorist extremists that went to Uganda and give a big thumbs up to killing gays?

You see, every one of the Christian people I know (which is, again, 95% of the people I know irl - I live in a very red part of a blue state - and only one person that I know currently irl is an atheist) actively disapproves of Christian terrorism and religion run governments.  They are able to see why we should protest murdering gay people.  They protest against and about it.

Speaking of intellectual dishonesty - where are your atheist examples that I asked for?  You insisted that atheists are killing gays too.  I'll gladly protest against those current violent acts against homosexuals by atheists and those atheists performing sometimes fatal exorcisms on children or corrective rape against lesbians.  You don't know of any organized group of atheists either running a government that is doing these things or any organized group of atheists trying to get gay execution into the lawbooks or any organized group of atheists performing sometimes fatal exorcisms or corrective rapes - because they don't exist.

elliebean

Typist

Kylyssa, what I'm trying to say is...

My sense from reading this thread, and many other similar ones on atheist forums, is that the only reason many are interested in stories like this at all is because it involves theists in the role of bad guy.

The concern for gays rings hollow here, because I'm pretty sure if it was anybody but theists involved, we wouldn't be talking about it.

To the degree you are actually concerned about gays, I share your concern.  Half my family is gay.  To the degree you are looking for yet another way to hate theists, I am uncomfortable, as it reminds me too much of how folks rationalize hating gays.

Suppose gays were running a government and proposing killing theists.  Would you still be outraged?    Would this thread still be popping?   Personally, my guess is no.

pinkocommie

Quote from: "Typist"Kylyssa, what I'm trying to say is...

My sense from reading this thread, and many other similar ones on atheist forums, is that the only reason many are interested in stories like this at all is because it involves theists in the role of bad guy.

The concern for gays rings hollow here, because I'm pretty sure if it was anybody but theists involved, we wouldn't be talking about it.

To the degree you are actually concerned about gays, I share your concern.  Half my family is gay.  To the degree you are looking for yet another way to hate theists, I am uncomfortable, as it reminds me too much of how folks rationalize hating gays.

Suppose gays were running a government and proposing killing theists.  Would you still be outraged?    Would this thread still be popping?   Personally, my guess is no.

My 'sense' from your posts is that you don't care about gay people at all.  You only want to defend theists, even if it means ignoring the influence of theists in regard to this legislature.  My sense is just as valid/invalid as your sense.

I don't need to name drop a half gay family in order to try to prove to someone that I'm concerned about gay people.  I am.  Your baseless presumptions are incorrect.  Find a fitting example for your argument and make a new post.  Your argument fails entirely in this context because your argument asks us to ignore the heavy influence that theists have had in passing this legislature and instead use this post as an example of atheists irrationally hating theism/theists.  You're ignoring the content for the sake of your argument.

I'm not saying all theists are the same, I'm not saying all theists want to kill gays, and I'm not saying all theists support this legislature.  

I'm stating the fact that this legislature was proposed by and is heavily supported by people who are theists and my reaction to that is not only is that horrible, but it seems like killing sick people isn't something that Jesus would do or condone, gay or not.

Typist

Hi Pinkocommie, thanks for the conversation we're not having because you simply don't care, and I'm not worth reading or replying to.   Is there anything else you'd like to not say?    :-)

pinkocommie

Quote from: "Typist"Hi Pinkocommie, thanks for the conversation we're not having because you simply don't care, and I'm not worth reading or replying to.   Is there anything else you'd like to not say?    :D