News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

WWJD? Kill sick gay people, evidently.

Started by pinkocommie, February 18, 2010, 04:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkocommie

A Ugandan lawmaker wants to pass a bill that calls for the execution of HIV+ homosexuals.  Wow.

Quote from: "The Washington Post"KAMPALA, UGANDA -- A Ugandan lawmaker refused Friday to withdraw proposed legislation that would impose the death penalty for some gay men and lesbians despite international condemnation and presidential opposition to a measure that some critics said could scare off foreign investors.

Lawmaker David Bahati said he will not heed a call late Thursday from the government to drop the proposed bill, which has provoked criticism from gay rights groups and protests in London, New York and Washington.

"We have our children in schools to protect against being recruited into" homosexuality, Bahati said. "The process of legislating a law to protect our children against homosexuality and defending our family values must go on." The country's parliament is expected to debate the measure in late February or early March.

Although President Yoweri Museveni has told colleagues that he believes the bill is too harsh and has encouraged his ruling National Resistance Movement Party to overturn the death sentence provision, Information Minister Kabakumba Matsiko said the parliament will act independently.
ad_icon

Several lawmakers and officials from the ruling party said this week that they will push to remove the death penalty statute. They have proposed instead that gays receive counseling to convert them to heterosexuality.

Lawmakers outlawed gay marriage in 2005. The proposed legislation is being promoted as an update to Uganda's statutes against homosexuality, which date from the 1950s and do not address homosexuality by name, only by what the law terms as "unnatural offenses" and "gross indecency." The draft bill says anyone convicted of a homosexual act could face life imprisonment.

Current legislation imposes seven years in prison. Under the new law, the death sentence could apply to sexually active gays living with HIV or in cases of same-sex rape. The law would also include Ugandans living abroad, who could be extradited and punished.

http://tinyurl.com/yzonqw9

The quote in bold could just as easily come from Palin or Bachmann or any number of US politicians or pundits currently in a position of power and influence.  

Uganda is a country whose majority is Christian, and this atrocious legislature is and example of what I fear about religion having government power.  This is why I feel religion is dangerous and why I am vocal in my rejection of it.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

SSY

Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Typist

I gotta agree.  Some theists are indeed obsessed with homosexuality.   They never seem to get that their obsession looks a lot weirder than any flavor of sex.  

The good news is that with every day that passes, these folks are dying off, being replaced by a younger generation that seems refreshingly free of this prejudice.  Only a few more years, and this sick circus will pass.

We should also recognize that there are plenty of theists who embrace the gay community.   Not to mention, there are lots of gay theists.

pinkocommie

Quote from: "Typist"I gotta agree.  Some theists are indeed obsessed with homosexuality.   They never seem to get that their obsession looks a lot weirder than any flavor of sex.  

The good news is that with every day that passes, these folks are dying off, being replaced by a younger generation that seems refreshingly free of this prejudice.  Only a few more years, and this sick circus will pass.

We should also recognize that there are plenty of theists who embrace the gay community.   Not to mention, there are lots of gay theists.

Really?  There is a country where theists are trying to legislate the execution of homosexuals and your reply is - yeah, there are some theists that don't like gays.  But we should recognize those theists who do!  Wow, guy.  That's amazing.

Typist

Please identify the statements in my post that you feel are factually incorrect.  Thank you.

Typist

Blanket hatred of theists bears an uncomfortable resemblance to blanket hatred of gays, eh?

pinkocommie

Quote from: "Typist"Please identify the statements in my post that you feel are factually incorrect.  Thank you.

Please identify where in my response to your statement I claimed you were factually incorrect.  Thank you.

Typist

Please identify exactly how we exit this pointless exchange.   Thank you.  :-)

bfat

Quote from: "pinkocommie"Current legislation imposes seven years in prison. Under the new law, the death sentence could apply to sexually active gays living with HIV or in cases of same-sex rape. The law would also include Ugandans living abroad, who could be extradited and punished.

To me, this is the scariest part of this article.  So Ugandans who are gay, and want to escape the horror and persecution of these hate-filled laws, can actually be sent back to their home country where they will be jailed or killed?   :eek:

The question is, what kind of F'd up country would extradite them?
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men."  -Willy Wonka

karadan

Quote from: "bfat"
Quote from: "pinkocommie"Current legislation imposes seven years in prison. Under the new law, the death sentence could apply to sexually active gays living with HIV or in cases of same-sex rape. The law would also include Ugandans living abroad, who could be extradited and punished.

To me, this is the scariest part of this article.  So Ugandans who are gay, and want to escape the horror and persecution of these hate-filled laws, can actually be sent back to their home country where they will be jailed or killed?   :eek:

According to the laws of Uganda, yes. I'm pretty sure most European countries would grant asylum to any Ugandan unfortunate enough to be in that situation. In fact, i believe there is a law that states we (the UK) are not allowed to extradite anyone who would be sent back to their home country to die.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Kylyssa

Quote from: "Typist"I gotta agree.  Some theists are indeed obsessed with homosexuality.   They never seem to get that their obsession looks a lot weirder than any flavor of sex.  

Sure, only some theists are obsessed with homosexuality - but they're killing people!  Human beings dead.  People murdering homosexual people due to religion.  Right now.  

And "this sick circus" will not pass in a few years if people don't do something about it.  It has been escalating, not dwindling.  In Uganda and throughout Africa, the Christian atrocities have been steadily increasing.  They've not only been targeting homosexuals, they've also been torturing children accused of witchcraft.  They are "correctively" raping lesbians and pouring battery acid down children's throats.  

This is the "younger generation" doing this and teaching their children to do the same.

We are not comparing gay American Christians or gay accepting American Christians to murdering Christian pastors in Uganda, we are talking about the Christian terrorists in control of Uganda's government.

We're not here making up generic hate speech about theists in general, we are talking about Christian groups doing obscenely horrible things to human beings - as usually happens when religions control governments.

Kylyssa

Quote from: "karadan"
Quote from: "bfat"

According to the laws of Uganda, yes. I'm pretty sure most European countries would grant asylum to any Ugandan unfortunate enough to be in that situation. In fact, i believe there is a law that states we (the UK) are not allowed to extradite anyone who would be sent back to their home country to die.

I worry what would happen if they were caught in the US.  There is a strong, vicious ant-gay undercurrent in America.

Typist

Quote from: "Kylyssa"Sure, only some theists are obsessed with homosexuality - but they're killing people!  Human beings dead

Are you interested in theists, or in gays?   If the later, then you'll give just as big a speech when atheists kill gays.   Have you done so?  Can you provide the link?

As best I can recall, we're well in to this thread now, and so far nobody has shown any concern for events where atheists kill gays.  

That's why it seems reasonable to offer the theory that posters aren't actually all that interested in gays, but are just grabbing yet another chance to hate theists.   Honestly, let's not drift in to the same generalizing mindsets that allow people to rationalize actions like the Ugandans are taking.  Ok?

bfat

Quote from: "Kylyssa"I worry what would happen if they were caught in the US.  There is a strong, vicious ant-gay undercurrent in America.

No kidding.  I just watched Fall From Grace, a documentary about Fred Phelps and his anti-gay hate campaign (he's the "God hates fags" nut-bar), where they desecrate flags and think that soldiers being killed in the middle east is God's wrath for gays here in the U.S. (which somehow makes sense to them...).  It's terrifying, and if that exists here where there's freedom of religion, I can't imagine whats happening in stricter, more-religious countries.
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men."  -Willy Wonka

Kylyssa

Quote from: "Typist"
Quote from: "Kylyssa"Sure, only some theists are obsessed with homosexuality - but they're killing people!  Human beings dead

Are you interested in theists, or in gays?   If the later, then you'll give just as big a speech when atheists kill gays.   Have you done so?  Can you provide the link?

As best I can recall, we're well in to this thread now, and so far nobody has shown any concern for events where atheists kill gays.  

That's why it seems reasonable to offer the theory that posters aren't actually all that interested in gays, but are just grabbing yet another chance to hate theists.   Honestly, let's not drift in to the same generalizing mindsets that allow people to rationalize actions like the Ugandans are taking.  Ok?

Point me to the country where atheists (with full support of their local community and with support from many atheists worldwide) are killing gays legally or to the country where atheists are performing torturing exorcisms on children or to the country where atheists are raping lesbians to make them straight.  Point me to that country and I'll write scathing rants about them.  Point to the atheists doing those things (or equally awful things) and I'll lay some disapproval on them, too.

Not only are Ugandan Christians supporting the execution of gays but a group of American Christians went and participated in this legislation.  

Where did anyone say all Christians or most Christians?

Next you'll tell us we shouldn't bash on the Islamic extremists that took down the world trade center because atheists have killed people, too.

Or is it only when Christian extremists are called in question?