News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

You must be this small to ride this ride....

Started by Ali, May 18, 2012, 11:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

QuoteEveryone has a list of qualities they look for in a partner and though physical attributes often feature, who you fall for usually comes down to chemistry.

For some men, however, a slender physique is a non-negotiable requirement, and knowing this all too well, New York dating service On Speed Dating will host its second 'Skinny Minny' night to cater to such demand.

The speed dating extravaganza to be held in Manhattan's East Village, will only allow entry to women size 0-8 and all clothing labels they guarantee, will be checked at the door.

Once a skirt or pant label is approved, the arrival will then have her size noted down on a badge she must wear for the duration of the evening.

The dating company, whose slogan reads: 'Because life is short', prides itself on holding events that meet the specific criteria people often look for in potential romantic partnerships.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2142502/The-speed-dating-event-men-want-meet-skinny-woman--check-womens-dress-sizes-door.html#ixzz1vGFUTiGp

So yeah.  What do you guys think about this?  I'll admit that I have "a type" so I understand that others also have "a type."  On the other hand, I think that checking a woman's dress size at the door goes beyond looking for your type, I mean after all, do you really need to see a person's "stats" to know whether or not they are your type?  Wouldn't seeing them and being either attracted or not be enough to know if she's your type?  And then making a woman wear her dress size on a badge all night is beyond humiliating and objectifying.

Having said that, were I "on the market", I would be grateful to know that they have these types of events and be grateful to know if any of the men I was considering bedding had attended them.  Mostly so I would know who to cross off my "potential bedmates" list forever.  No matter what dress size I happen to be wearing.  ;)

AnimatedDirt

Apparently there might be some that disagree it's humiliating and degrading to women...namely those attending the event.  I'm sure no woman is forced to participate, which then would make it humiliating and degrading to them.

Not that I agree, but it would be interesting if I were of dating age...back in my prime.

But that's the male in me speaking.  :)

Ali

Sweetdeath

Size matters to me, but if that's ALL someone sees, they wouldnt be
worth my time.
I need a great personality, and a great set of hair.
We're all a little superficial, but this goes beyond that. Aren't women degraded enough by  men? Ugh
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on May 18, 2012, 11:34:13 PM
*Throws up on AD's shoes*

Hasn't he a point though?  Aren't the women who attend this grisly function actively and willingly colluding in their own objectification?  Fortunately I'm wearing my plastic galoshes tonight.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

En_Route

Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 19, 2012, 12:02:40 AM
worth my time.
We're all a little superficial, but this goes beyond that. Aren't women degraded enough by  men? Ugh

I always liked girls with luxuriant and lustrous hair. Though I drew the line at moustaches.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

DeterminedJuliet

Some women get competitive with each other over weight, so I could see why some women of the "approved" size might like a chance to show off how small they are. Afterall, if you starve yourself into becoming a zero (not saying that all size zeros are starving, but probably a good portion are), you'd probably like some validation about how awesome you look. It's external validation in the most literal sense "You're an 'approved' number! you win!"

Should they be allowed to do it? Yes. Does it make me really glad that I'm out of the dating scene? Also yes. (My husband and I got together the old fashioned way. You know. With the help of alcohol.)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

Quote from: En_Route on May 19, 2012, 12:14:42 AM
Hasn't he a point though?  Aren't the women who attend this grisly function actively and willingly colluding in their own objectification?  Fortunately I'm wearing my plastic galoshes tonight.

Yes they most certainly are.  Which makes it just that little bit even sadder and even less sexy.  However, the reason I threw up on AD's shoes is that he indicated that he might enjoy attending said debacle, were he a younger singler man. 

Siz

What exactly is distasteful here?

Some men have priorities, so what?! Is this any less valid than choosing a mate for their above-average intelligence, stable means or a six-pack? There's nothing to stop the women setting up speed dates where the male participants lay down their Amex at the door. And good luck to them. Live and let live.

All involved should be applauded for their unashamed, forthright approach. Far from being degrading, it must be liberating for the ladies to know that there is one less factor to worry about. They're all adults.

I find fat ankles and fat necks very unattractive... and ugly people I find unattractive too....does that make me superficial? Or maybe just someone who knows what I can and can't put up with in a mate?

I don't think men have the monopoly on superficial.

...And those who puke on shoes at the thought of someone asserting their personal preferences... does that not seem a tad hypocritical within the context of the thread...?

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Siz

Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 19, 2012, 12:02:40 AM
worth my time.

Wouldn't a dating service that provided only potential suitors with great hair save a lot of time and effort?

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

DeterminedJuliet

Scissorlegs, I don't think Ali was arguing that physical attractiveness and knowing what you like is irrelevant, it's the degree of exactness that's a bit unsettling. You said you don't like fat necks. Cool. Do you know exactly how many inches in diameter crosses the threshold into "unattractive" for you? Have you ever measured someone's neck or ankles or asked for their measurements? Probably not. You just LOOK at someone and think "hot" or "not". Attraction isn't a science, even if you have a "type" and I think she was criticizing the level to which this attempts to standardize attractiveness. Would most of these guys REALLY be turned off by a size 9? I'm skeptical. But sure, these people can do whatever the hell they like - I, personally, don't care if they create a "plastic surgery only" dating pool.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Crow

Not for me really, even though that is my preferred range of weight but I'm not really that fussed as long as they are not fat all is good. I can understand why some people might attend this sort of event though and assuming that the women attending this event would also hold similar views or why else attend.

But if they are using dress size as an indicator couldn't a larger woman squeeze into those clothes and still attend if they wanted. Actually that would be great if the guys went and all they found were women with overhanging flab.
Retired member.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Ali on May 18, 2012, 11:05:02 PMI'll admit that I have "a type"

I appreciate a number of "types" but skeletal isn't one of them.

There is a positive to having types and not one universal ideal.  Instead of everybody longing for a particular person they can find attainable personally ideal people.  I know that is kinda obvious but I said it anyway.

Siz

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 19, 2012, 01:47:49 AM
Scissorlegs, I don't think Ali was arguing that physical attractiveness and knowing what you like is irrelevant, it's the degree of exactness that's a bit unsettling. You said you don't like fat necks. Cool. Do you know exactly how many inches in diameter crosses the threshold into "unattractive" for you? Have you ever measured someone's neck or ankles or asked for their measurements? Probably not. You just LOOK at someone and think "hot" or "not". Attraction isn't a science, even if you have a "type" and I think she was criticizing the level to which this attempts to standardize attractiveness. Would most of these guys REALLY be turned off by a size 9? I'm skeptical. But sure, these people can do whatever the hell they like - I, personally, don't care if they create a "plastic surgery only" dating pool.

Why should choosing a mate be any different to choosing a car? There're thousands to choose from, but I want the Nissan with leather seats, electric windows and in silver. So I'm more likely to find what I'm after at a Nissan garage. Of course you can go to Car-Giant and find a decent runner, but if you've got your heart set on the Silver Nissan...

...And maybe the car likes being driven by someone who appreciates its own specific design.

DeterminedJuliet

Because standardization makes sense when you're talking about a static product made in a factory but not so much when you talk about a living organism?
Humans change. Even hot ones. Forgetting about objectification or superficiality or whatever - it just doesn't make sense to me to make the distinction that specific because, unlike a car, you don't get a warranty with a person. It seems silly to me to try and place a "custom order" that specific.  How many men or women stay the exact same size (up or down)? How do the numbers help in a way that your eyes don't?