News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

*waves*

Started by jrosebud, December 07, 2007, 03:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrosebud

Hi all.  My name is Dana.  I'm a 25-year-old living in Austin (transplanted from Kansas) with my hubby and 6-year-old girlie.  I work part time in a bake shop and spend the rest of my existence either delving into the stories of people and the universe or running around to all of my daughter's activities.  It's a good life.   :)
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

Jesster85

Welcome Dana. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself here. There are many nice people to talk to.
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."-Richard Dawkins

myleviathan

Hi, Dana - I'm Andy. I like you, *love* the Shins. They make my day. Right on.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

rlrose328

Welcome, Dana... I'm Kerri, mom to one outrageously stubborn character kiddo son and wife to a fabulously atheistic hubby (Joe).  We live in Oregon, the little town in which we live currently overrun with Mormons and Evangelicals.  Scary stuff.

Like you, I have to deal with the religious stuff at school.  And the kid really wanted to join Cub Scouts like all of his school friends, but I just won't support an organization that sees nothing wrong with discrimination again gays and the non-religious.  Yes, they can and it's their right... but it's my right to not support it, even in the name of fun for the kiddo.  Luckily, we found that Campfire is wonderfully accepting, makes NO requirement to serve anyone or anything but enjoyment, and is co-ed.  

There's a wonderful Campfire-run summer camp the kid (7 yo) went to this past summer run by Campfire here in Oregon (by Mt. Hood) and he had a blast!  No one prayed for or two him, no religious crafts or songs around the campfire.  He's asking almost daily now if I've scheduled him for another week next summer!  LOL!  I will... as soon as they post the dates.

Oops... rambled there a bit.

Anyway... welcome!
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

McQ

Hi Dana, and welcome to the forum. Thanks for the background! This is a great place to hang out with other folks who don't require any sky pixies to live their lives. You'll enjoy it, I'm sure.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

BleedingOrchid

Hi Dana....I love love love lemon cookies! What's Texas like? I'm in NC & have never been there, but dad-in-law may be flying us to Houston for some big convention he's heading up. Will be interesting.

WELCOME TO THE SITE!
Here we are
Upon your stage
The love we share
The dreams we'll save
They're bleeding the orchid...~Smashing Pumpkins

SteveS

Hi Dana - Welcome to the forum!

I'm surprised the Girl Scouts are, in the end, accepting of atheists - and I commend them for it.  The Boy Scouts could learn a lesson about this.....

MommaSquid

Welcome to the forum, jrosebud.  

I just checked out The Shins on youtube.  They have a nice sound but the lyrics are strange (at least to me).  Still, I'm glad I tried something new.

Enjoy your time here at the forum.   :)

timothy40744

Hi Dana! Doubleplusgood first post. I'm new to the forum as well. I have a six-year-old girl and a 15 year-old-girl. The 15 y.o. is firmly atheistic. She was as full of angst as her mother until we had a few philosophical chats. Now she is very happy with her newfound disbelief. I'll fix the younger one when she gets a little older.  :D

jrosebud

Thanks for such a warm welcome!  :)
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise

jrosebud

Quote from: "rlrose328"Welcome, Dana... I'm Kerri, mom to one outrageously stubborn character kiddo son and wife to a fabulously atheistic hubby (Joe).  We live in Oregon, the little town in which we live currently overrun with Mormons and Evangelicals.  Scary stuff.

Like you, I have to deal with the religious stuff at school.  And the kid really wanted to join Cub Scouts like all of his school friends, but I just won't support an organization that sees nothing wrong with discrimination again gays and the non-religious.  Yes, they can and it's their right... but it's my right to not support it, even in the name of fun for the kiddo.  Luckily, we found that Campfire is wonderfully accepting, makes NO requirement to serve anyone or anything but enjoyment, and is co-ed.  

There's a wonderful Campfire-run summer camp the kid (7 yo) went to this past summer run by Campfire here in Oregon (by Mt. Hood) and he had a blast!  No one prayed for or two him, no religious crafts or songs around the campfire.  He's asking almost daily now if I've scheduled him for another week next summer!  LOL!  I will... as soon as they post the dates.

Oops... rambled there a bit.

Anyway... welcome!

Hi Kerri!

I'm lucky to have a freekthinking hubby, too.  He's never been much into religion and put up with my Catholic lunacy for a few years (we were high school sweethearts) before I found Atheism.  Sometimes I wish that I could be as easy-going about the whole thing like he is.

We're rather fortunate that Girl Scouts (for the most part) is years ahead of Boy Scouts.  Sorry you had to deal with all of that.  If my girlie weren't so afraid of bugs, we'd have gone with Campfire, as well.  (I'd rather kids get to do all kinds of activities rather than stereotyping everything into boy/girl categories.  :roll: )

No worries about rambles.  I'm rather prone to them, myself.  :)
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise

jrosebud

Quote from: "BleedingOrchid"Hi Dana....I love love love lemon cookies! What's Texas like? I'm in NC & have never been there, but dad-in-law may be flying us to Houston for some big convention he's heading up. Will be interesting.

WELCOME TO THE SITE!

I hear that Austin is unlike most everywhere else in Texas, so I may not be the best judge.  It's definitely the most liberal city in the state.  The music's great.  And it's not hard to find good Tex-Mex.

Most people here are more fond of Austin than they are of Houston, I've noticed.  Our crime rate isn't as high, the smog is hardly present (it's pretty bad in Houston), and it's easier to get around here.  It's been said that Austin doesn't feel like a large city; Houston does.

If you're in Houston, definitely go tour NASA.  And there's an aquarium there that my sis says is really neat.
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise

jrosebud

Quote from: "MommaSquid"Welcome to the forum, jrosebud.  

I just checked out The Shins on youtube.  They have a nice sound but the lyrics are strange (at least to me).  Still, I'm glad I tried something new.

Enjoy your time here at the forum.   :)

If you delve into the lyrics a bit, I think you'll like them.  Most of their songs are about being an Atheist in a Christian world.   :wink:
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise

jrosebud

Quote from: "timothy40744"Hi Dana! Doubleplusgood first post. I'm new to the forum as well. I have a six-year-old girl and a 15 year-old-girl. The 15 y.o. is firmly atheistic. She was as full of angst as her mother until we had a few philosophical chats. Now she is very happy with her newfound disbelief. I'll fix the younger one when she gets a little older.  :D

*chuckles*

So, is your six-year-old as spirited as your fifteen-year-old?  My girlie is often a preteen disguised as a six-year-old, I'm certain.
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise

timothy40744

To my chagrin, a bit too spirited. I had to dope her with Concerta or they were going to oust her from Kindergarten. I've yet to hear of a juvenile delinquent of barely 6 years old! Apparently, her principal, the dim-witted dolt that she is, seemed to think so... Perhaps I'll outfit her with a Hell's Angel jacket. I wonder if they come in 6x?