News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

The new Marranos in America

Started by Bad Penny II, October 06, 2017, 01:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/counterpoint/marranos/9000900
QuoteDuring the Spanish inquisition, Jews secretly maintained their religion while living as Catholics in public. They were called Marranos.

American talk-show host, Dennis Prager says there is a new class of Marranos in America. They are the conservatives who feel uncomfortable to admit that they support president Trump publicly.

The American conservative Marranos are usually mocked by friends and colleagues, and can be socially ostracised.

They are reluctant to express their views publicly in the land of the free and home of the brave.

Oh this is terrible, the poor sweet mistreated conservatives.
I know this place is full of liberals, you should be ashamed.
QuoteIt's unprecedented, nobody in my lifetime has had to hide what they really believe.
That's right, nobody has, just conservatives, it's an outrage Dennis.
McCarthy What? What has an ex Beatle to do with this? Just shut up! I'm talking.
Gays No no, don't bring them up I'm trying to eat my dinner. I just don't understand why my "liberal" sister won't celebrate the holidays with us any more. It might Shut up!
Don't you think it insensitive to use the name of Jews hiding from the inquisition?
Fucking political correctness again, more persecution, and I told you shut up!
You can't ostracise us, just because we support someone you find repugnant.
We are conservatives, god's people. You free speech disrespecting lefties, if I had my way I'd have you all behind wire.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Magdalena

Are you aware that the word, marranos means pigs? The new Pigs in America.  :-\

...And, I'm sorry for saying this over and over again, but if they are talking about specifically those who support president Trump they should say, The new Pigs in the USA. America is a continent, North America, Central America, South America. Yeah, that fucking political correctness again! :grrr:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Magdalena on October 06, 2017, 02:00:37 PM
Are you aware that the word, marranos means pigs? The new Pigs in America.  :-\

...And, I'm sorry for saying this over and over again, but if they are talking about specifically those who support president Trump they should say, The new Pigs in the USA. America is a continent, North America, Central America, South America. Yeah, that fucking political correctness again! :grrr:

Do you consider Central America part of North America or South America?  Surely you do not consider it a continent all on its own.  There are two continents - North and South.  I understand you are from Central, but do you identify more with Nord or Sud?  By the way, give us back our canal.   :lol:

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 07, 2017, 02:32:42 AM
...do you identify more with Nord or Sud?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

Prager is Jewish, but that doesn't give him a pass for equating the very real persecution of Jews in Spain with conservatives in the US feeling like they have to be careful about where they air their opinions.

I listened to the part of the radio program in which Prager appeared. In the introduction, the interviewer said that Prager owns a "university you can go to online."  Prager's website is called "Prager University" but it isn't actually a university at all. It "offers five-minute videos on various subjects, such as the Ten Commandments, the minimum wage, the Middle East, Global warming, and happiness, from a conservative perspective. According to Prager, he created the site to challenge the 'unhealthy effect intellectually and morally' of the American higher education system." (source) Either the radio host didn't bother to do any research or she's a knowing shill for Prager's propagandizing.

Prager jumps right into lying, saying that people being shunned for their views is "unprecedented" in the United States. I don't think he's so ignorant that he's unaware of the existence of McCarthyism and its effects on American society.

He talks about people avoiding expressing their conservative views so that they don't have to deal with backlash from those around them as if nobody else has had to deal with that exact situation for their left-wing views, or their sexuality, or any other aspect of their approach to life that they think might create a problem if aired openly.

In fact, if the people who've written to him to complain about this hold the same views that he holds, I'm not surprised that they're hesitant to talk openly about them. Some of the things he says are simply repugnant to many people in the United States. On the other hand, there are places in the US where views like his are heavily in the majority. If he believes that people who disagree with those views and live in conservative parts of the country don't often keep their opinions to themselves for fear of being ostracized he's delusional as well as dishonest.

The host then tells a story about how she exposed the hypocrisy of her "left wing friends." She heard that NASA under the Obama administration was planning to land a spacecraft on an asteroid. Clever Ms. Vanstone tells her dinner guests that Trump has plans to land a spacecraft on an asteroid, and they all laugh. Then she springs her ingenious trap--she says that actually it was Obama that set this apparently hair-brained scheme in motion. The mocking left-wingers fall silent in dismay. Oh what a triumph for clever Ms. Vanstone! Prager then praises her, saying, "That was a very courageous thing to do," and chuckles at her brilliant deflation of those lefties. So yes, she demonstrated the hypocrisy of her "left-wing friends" but Prager's not about to forget the narrative that he's there to push.

Of course neither president planned that mission; it was something that NASA had been working on and the Obama's administration had given the green light to. Trump's NASA budget axed the program.

If anybody cares to read Prager's rant, it's here. There's some real irony in somebody who opposes the rights of minorities like LGBTQ and Muslims writing the following:

QuoteHad anyone ever predicted that in America – the land renowned more than any other for liberty and free speech – the word "Marrano" would ever accurately characterize any of its citizens, let alone close to half the voting population, that individual would have been regarded as a charlatan.

But, given the intolerance and hatred on the left and its dominance over almost every area of American life, such an individual would have been a prophet.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Recusant on October 07, 2017, 05:06:31 AM
Prager is Jewish, but that doesn't give him a pass for equating the very real persecution of Jews in Spain with conservatives in the US feeling like they have to be careful about where they air their opinions.
It does make him sound impressively bookley when he references them old Marranos though.

I listened to the part of the radio program in which Prager appeared. In the introduction, the interviewer said that Prager owns a "university you can go to online."  Prager's website is called "Prager University" but it isn't actually a university at all. It "offers five-minute videos on various subjects, such as the Ten Commandments, the minimum wage, the Middle East, Global warming, and happiness, from a conservative perspective. According to Prager, he created the site to challenge the 'unhealthy effect intellectually and morally' of the American higher education system." (source) Either the radio host didn't bother to do any research or she's a knowing shill for Prager's propagandizing.

Not up to the job of radio host?
She used to me a minister in a Federal conservative government.

Prager jumps right into lying, saying that people being shunned for their views is "unprecedented" in the United States. I don't think he's so ignorant that he's unaware of the existence of McCarthyism and its effects on American society.
Yes, when did this kind of shit become acceptable?
Lying for the team is acceptable to the team and fuck what anyone else thinks.
Didn't it used to a bit better than this?

He talks about people avoiding expressing their conservative views so that they don't have to deal with backlash from those around them as if nobody else has had to deal with that exact situation for their left-wing views, or their sexuality, or any other aspect of their approach to life that they think might create a problem if aired openly.

In fact, if the people who've written to him to complain about this hold the same views that he holds, I'm not surprised that they're hesitant to talk openly about them. Some of the things he says are simply repugnant to many people in the United States. On the other hand, there are places in the US where views like his are heavily in the majority. If he believes that people who disagree with those views and live in conservative parts of the country don't often keep their opinions to themselves for fear of being ostracized he's delusional as well as dishonest.
There's probably dollars in it.

The host then tells a story about how she exposed the hypocrisy of her "left wing friends." She heard that NASA under the Obama administration was planning to land a spacecraft on an asteroid. Clever Ms. Vanstone tells her dinner guests that Trump has plans to land a spacecraft on an asteroid, and they all laugh. Then she springs her ingenious trap--she says that actually it was Obama that set this apparently hair-brained scheme in motion. The mocking left-wingers fall silent in dismay. Oh what a triumph for clever Ms. Vanstone!
Conceit: Feelings of excessive pride

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

SisterAgatha

I don't see what the Jews were complaining about. They had the Catholic Church! They did not need any silly old "Old Testament."

They still had the Jewish religion but it was perfected!

Recusant

Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 09, 2017, 03:08:05 AM
I don't see what the Jews were complaining about. They had the Catholic Church! They did not need any silly old "Old Testament."

They still had the Jewish religion but it was perfected!

This is a pathetically transparent attempt at trolling, SisterAgatha. Consider this post your first official warning.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

Conservatives are airing their views all the time - Fox, Breitbart, Limbaugh, Jones.  Nobody is stopping them.