News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Evolution is the design process used by God

Started by fdesilva, April 13, 2010, 07:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

i_am_i

I agree that Evolution is the design process used by God. Great stuff, just great.

Can we go home now?
Call me J

Sapere aude

Chewbie Chan

I have no problem with the notion that a creator God could have designed the multiverse to work in such a way that life evolved in our absolutely minuscule part of it. I'm agnostic about such things. I mean heck, how would I know different?

How would anyone know different? I mean, really know, not just want to believe it to be or not to be the case.

Heathen's Guide

I nominate that for best post on the thread.

Quote from: "Chewbie Chan"I have no problem with the notion that a creator God could have designed the multiverse to work in such a way that life evolved in our absolutely minuscule part of it. I'm agnostic about such things. I mean heck, how would I know different?

How would anyone know different? I mean, really know, not just want to believe it to be or not to be the case.
William Hopper
author, "The Heathen's Guide" series
www.heathensguide.com
www.williamjhopper.com

fdesilva

Quote from: "Chewbie Chan"I have no problem with the notion that a creator God could have designed the multiverse to work in such a way that life evolved in our absolutely minuscule part of it. I'm agnostic about such things. I mean heck, how would I know different?

Precisely it is possible
My take on this is, God made the universe and the earth a little speck to teach us the concept of infinity.

curiosityandthecat

-Curio

SSY

Seems kind of egotistical. An all powerful being, created an infinite expanse of space and time, containing within it untold trillions of galaxies, each with billions of stars, each star itself a mind bogglingly complex melee of many septillions of atoms, just to teach some overgrown monkeys on a ball of dirt about infinity. I mean, people had discovered infinity before they knew about the size of the universe, before Christianity was invented, infinity can be derived from lots of different observations.

To be honest fdsilva, I am not overly impressed with your logic. It seems that you can take any observation, and say "Yes, my god did that for reason X" without backing it up by means of motivation or a specific proof that it is in fact your god doing it all.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Heretical Rants

Stop insulting me, guys.  Of course my little sand monsters aren't perfect, but look how cute they are!

I mean, flesh monsters.  I mean, uh...   I'm just a random dude playing with selective forces to make random animals, such as humans.

It's fun.  It's not a factory.  I am not seeking perfection.  It's a game.  How else do you suggest I amuse myself?

Sincerely,

--God.

Albino_Raptor

I do not assume you are a livejournal member of WTF_nature, are you?
Yeah, thought so.
And GOD created the earth, covered with water by 70%, for man, who has no gills.

NeoHeathen

Seeing that the process of evolution does not always produce beneficial/positive results, do you then accept that your god makes mistakes?

karadan

Fdesilva, it's people like you who reinforce the belief that myself and others who share a similar world-view are on the right side of the reality tracks. Only in your head do the things you say make sense. That last stubborn tendril of belief needs to be vanquished in your head (otherwise why would you be here?). At which point, the myriad issues facing your brain on a daily basis - trying to reconcile your belief with reality - will cease to exist. You'll feel liberated because of it. You'll definitely be happier.

There's too many unhappy people out there because of something they were blackmailed into believing since childhood.  :verysad:
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

hvargas

EVOLUTION IS NOT A DESIGN..no matter what anyone may say period.

Evolved

I'm getting too old for this.  Exclamation point.

"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
Chapman Cohen

fdesilva

Quote from: "hvargas"EVOLUTION IS NOT A DESIGN..no matter what anyone may say period.
That s your opinion, however there are experts that think otherwise. You may want to reconsider.cheers :)
http://www.springer.com/computer/ai/boo ... 40-74109-1
QuoteEvolution is Nature’s design process. The natural world is full of wonderful examples of its successes, from engineering design feats such as powered flight, to the design of complex optical systems such as the mammalian eye, to the merely stunningly beautiful designs of orchids or birds of paradise. With increasing computational power, we are now able to simulate this process with greater fidelity, combining complex simulations with high-performance evolutionary algorithms to tackle problems that used to be impractical.

This book showcases the state of the art in evolutionary algorithms for design. The chapters are organized by experts in the following fields: evolutionary design and "intelligent design" in biology, art, computational embryogeny, and engineering. The book will be of interest to researchers, practitioners and graduate students in natural computing, engineering design, biology and the creative arts.

pinkocommie

Intelligent design is based on flawed science.  It's creationism explained in sciencey terms.  Only uneducated or willfully ignorant theists argue the scientific validity of intelligent design.  Your argument and the source you've referenced are laughable.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

fdesilva

Quote from: "pinkocommie"Intelligent design is based on flawed science.  It's creationism explained in sciencey terms.  Only uneducated or willfully ignorant theists argue the scientific validity of intelligent design.  Your argument and the source you've referenced are laughable.
Here is more links to keep you amused

The art of Evolutionary Design (MIT)

http://web.mit.edu/varun_ag/www/evolutionary_design.pdf

Evolutionary algorithms now surpass human designers (NEW SCIENTIST)

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg1 ... gners.html

http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/doi ... 807.125832

http://journal.chemistrycentral.com/content/2/S1/P7

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_o ... f0a4504a23

btw I am not talking about the creationist Inteligent Design  and my last link is not about that point of view