News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Sam Harris fan

Started by 2cool, November 18, 2015, 06:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2cool

Hello guys.
After long period of unsatisfaction in my life and reading of many self help books i came across Mr Harris.
As he is one of the 4 horsemen of new atheism, the best one i am sure, he opened my eyes widely.
I have read all of his books, listened to all of his lectures and read all the books he quoted from.
He is simply the most educated and the calmest neuroscientist on this planet.
I am sure i have much things to say in this forum and really looking forward to.

Have been studied Mindfulness by Theravada tradition what Mr Harris proposes as best tool
for becoming more happy person in life and this really helped, the one and only thing which
actually works. I suppose many people on this forum know very well this subject.

But anyway, lets discuss everything which is ordinary and explanatory in simple or complex way
and has nothing to do with iron age religion :)

Br
Be happy using Mindfulness
Look at video inspired by Sam Harris book Waking Up
https://youtu.be/MRTwQ_16D8Q

Recusant

Quote from: 2cool on November 18, 2015, 06:11:08 AM
Hello guys.
After long period of unsatisfaction in my life and reading of many self help books i came across Mr Harris.
As he is one of the 4 horsemen of new atheism, the best one i am sure, he opened my eyes widely.
I have read all of his books, listened to all of his lectures and read all the books he quoted from.
He is simply the most educated and the calmest neuroscientist on this planet.
I am sure i have much things to say in this forum and really looking forward to.

Have been studied Mindfulness by Theravada tradition what Mr Harris proposes as best tool
for becoming more happy person in life and this really helped, the one and only thing which
actually works. I suppose many people on this forum know very well this subject.

But anyway, lets discuss everything which is ordinary and explanatory in simple or complex way
and has nothing to do with iron age religion :)

Br

Hello and welcome to HAF, 2cool. It's great that Harris's work has proved to be so helpful to you. I agree that his calm style of presenting his arguments is effective, even if I find myself at odds with his thinking on occasion.

On to business. First, The Rules.

Second, some other threads you may find interesting:

Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler

I hope that you enjoy your time reading and posting here.  :)

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

:wave hi: Welcome to the forum, 2cool!

I know who Sam Harris is but haven't read any of his works. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Welcome 2cool

Are you at a school to be 2cool for? Or have you entered the adult world of responsibility?

I have read some of all 4 of the notional new atheists and while they are all different I find I have most in common with Daniel Dennett.

Here's a list for you to be getting on with Atheist authors

Welcome to HAF  :beer:

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

2cool

Quote from: Tank on November 18, 2015, 12:48:27 PM
Welcome 2cool

Are you at a school to be 2cool for? Or have you entered the adult world of responsibility?

I have read some of all 4 of the notional new atheists and while they are all different I find I have most in common with Daniel Dennett.

Regards
Chris

I had a friend which produced electronic music together with me,
and we called ourselves 2cool, some 10 to 15 years ago, that's why i use this nickname :)
Thanks for sharing atheist authors, the list is pretty long....
Be happy using Mindfulness
Look at video inspired by Sam Harris book Waking Up
https://youtu.be/MRTwQ_16D8Q

joeactor

Welcome 2cool!

I'm watching the video in your signature... Is that yours?

Mindfulness is a cool concept. Something I need to work on more, I think ;-)

Tank

Quote from: 2cool on November 18, 2015, 01:56:19 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 18, 2015, 12:48:27 PM
Welcome 2cool

Regards
Chris

I had a friend which produced electronic music together with me,
and we called ourselves 2cool, some 10 to 15 years ago, that's why i use this nickname :)
Thanks for sharing atheist authors, the list is pretty long....
Interesting. Were you a vocalist, musician or both?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Not a fan of Harris or the others but I agree with him on mindfulness. It is very good at rebalancing your perspective of reality and developing a healthier relationship with the concious, thought, and emotions. Since I started mindfulness practice I haven't been stressed or anxious mostly in a good mood, when I do get caught up in an emotion or thought I just put it down and get back in the moment do what needs to be done. Though I have noticed I have become even more blunt than I usually am, which is definitely who I am I just used to care about the perception of others and I tend to forget that mindfulness isn't a norm so being yourself needs to constrained slightly so often best to be quite. I particularly like that every session is a new learning experience for a part of the brain that is often neglected when so much in society is geared towards what is potentially going to happen, what has happened, what can you do, trying to solve problems that don't exist or are of little importance.
Retired member.

Ecurb Noselrub

Reading Sam Harris is what brought me to new atheist websites.  To me he is the most significant of the atheistic thinkers.  But that's just me.

Icarus

Welcome 2Cool.  I have read Harris and many of the rest of the notable nonbeliever authors. Some of them are a bit too strident but there are plenty of other authors that are worthy of your attention.  Do your 10 posts and then jump into the water with the rest of us.

You will find that this group is civilized and many of them are uncommonly well educated. We do not make a hobby of hammering theists but we will do so if there is any apparent need. For the most part we are a fun loving bunch who actually care for each other. We do all sorts of subjects, from photography, culinary arts, comedy, music, current events, science, and so much more.