News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

A New Twist on the Prosperity Gospel

Started by Recusant, May 12, 2019, 02:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Churches have to keep up with the times, eh?

"South Pacific Churches Targeted in Billion-Dollar Cryptocurrency Scam" | Christianity Today

QuoteTwo churches in the South Pacific are at the center of a fight between governments around the world and a beleaguered cryptocurrency called OneCoin, now accused of scamming its way to billions in revenue.

With its founders facing charges of fraud and money laundering, the crypto con went looking for a way into the tiny island nation of Samoa. It found one in Christian congregations where pastors could preach the wonders of a newfangled get-rich-quick plan.

[. . .]

"The target of OneCoin is through the churches," the Central Bank of Samoa (CBS) said in a statement last month. Though some church leaders claim they were victims, the bank concluded they knowingly engaged in fraud and that their accounts were used as part of a OneCoin money-laundering scheme involving more than $2 million.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

Con persons casting their nets wider and wider in search of easy wealth.  >:(

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 12, 2019, 03:05:42 AM

Nothing new there. Religions often collect and exploit the gullible and have always done so.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on May 12, 2019, 07:52:19 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 12, 2019, 03:05:42 AM

Nothing new there. Religions often collect and exploit the gullible and have always done so.

:this:

Conning the gullible since before before the common era.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

I've never understood the prosperity gospel -- wasn't Jesus specifically against gathering up treasures on earth?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dark Lightning

Yeah, if Jesus actually existed and appeared today, he'd be scourging these people out of their temples.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sandra Craft on May 12, 2019, 05:33:55 PM
I've never understood the prosperity gospel -- wasn't Jesus specifically against gathering up treasures on earth?

Not this Jesus!

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey