News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Egyptian Cleric Issues Fatwa on how people should vote.

Started by Tank, April 22, 2012, 12:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

ablprop

I don't know the issue the gentleman is talking about. But this is chilling. This is precisely what I'm trying to convince Stevil and others about in the philosophy forum. There is a morality that comes from the Enlightenment, a morality centered on good explanations. Bad explanations lead to bad morality. If you believe that Yahweh, Allah, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster will alternately reward or punish your society based on how your people vote, then of course it makes sense to compel that vote in a certain direction. The problem is not the morality, the problem is the bad explanation of how the world works.

pytheas

Quote from: ablprop on April 22, 2012, 02:53:39 PM
I don't know the issue the gentleman is talking about. But this is chilling. This is precisely what I'm trying to convince Stevil and others about in the philosophy forum. There is a morality that comes from the Enlightenment, a morality centered on good explanations. Bad explanations lead to bad morality. If you believe that Yahweh, Allah, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster will alternately reward or punish your society based on how your people vote, then of course it makes sense to compel that vote in a certain direction. The problem is not the morality, the problem is the bad explanation of how the world works.
the problem is theocracy
because it is a fake sign

while there is demos=the people hence there can be democracy

there is no theos=god, so "theocracy" means an authoritarian oligarchy of those who "explain" in commands to the people what "god" wants

on an authoritarian oligarchy attempts of democracy are either doomed as the example given above, or condemned with the consequences of syria:  policing your own  people with bombs
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

markmcdaniel

This video is a good example of the narrow minded bigotry that is rampant in most theocratic world views.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

technolud

Tank

Quote from: technolud on June 10, 2012, 03:54:36 AM
Excellent video Tank.  But discouraging.
I agree. If we think it's difficult convincing English speaking Christians of the fallacies in their world view imagine how much more difficult it's going to be to do the same thing to non-English speaking Muslims. I have no idea how badly that scenario is going to go down.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

technolud

Unfortunately, there is more then a grain of truth to some third world arguments that first world countries are taking advantage of them.  My country being the worst I believe.

I think this is you people like the cleric in the video get traction.

Icarus

That cleric dude is really uptight it would seem. He appears to be demanding that Egypt resort to Sharia law. I find that repugnant but I quickly realize that we have hard shell, theist, seriously committed, aspirants to the presidential office right here in the US of A. They would return us to god and make rules to assure that we toe the marks as detailed in the scriptures. 

I had a pleasant smile this morning over coffee. I was reading my local newspaper, an affiliate ot the New York Times. We are in the throes of the silly season political campaign season. One of the candidates for the office of tax assessor has gone on record as follows; "we must restore the judeo-christian ethic to the office, if not we might as well give up". The newspaper editorial board ripped the guy a new one for that kind of talk.  His remarks were absurd because the incumbent has been a stellar performer for the last four years. There has been no question about the ethics and fair play of her office. Ha! the candidate, Mr. Blake, has crapped in his mess kit. The votes that he will get will be only from fundie crackpots.

Asmodean

Well, they did fuck up their legal and internationally recognised government. If the result of all that revolutionary nonsense is sharia... I told them so, and frankly, they can have what they were asking for for all I care.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on July 16, 2012, 10:06:37 PM
Well, they did fuck up their legal and internationally recognised government. If the result of all that revolutionary nonsense is sharia... I told them so, and frankly, they can have what they were asking for for all I care.

Should of followed the Asmo.  8)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.