News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Tired of being negative

Started by Jose AR, December 10, 2011, 01:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevil

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 04, 2012, 10:28:01 PM
but the simple fact of someone dying for someone else.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that the character Jesus, did not die for anyone, he did not choose to die. Like all humans, we all die at some stage, or will do one day. Death is inevitable so we can't claim some great sacrifice.
Jesus life was taken from him, the death was not dedicated to humanity, he was put to death for being disruptive to the peace.
Some Christian's want to make something profound of it, even wearing a trinket looking like the device used to kill their favourite bible character.
That's fine, their business, personally I find it a little creepy but who am I to judge them?
What is annoying is when they overstep and suggest that their Jesus died for me and that I ought to be thankful.

Jesus did not die for me, I did not ask him to and I would never ask anyone to make a blood sacrifice of themselves or of anyone for my sake. This I find grotesque and insulting. Don't sling your shit in my direction please. Roast your own savior and feel pleased listening to the crackle of his bubbling skin, or smelling the divine aroma of his charring flesh, feel warm fuzzies believing he is doing this great sacrifice so that you can sin.

But I will have none of it. As far as I am concerned there was no Jesus, certainly no human-god half breed. No sacrifice, no resurrection. If you are keen to insult me then please feel free to claim that I ought to be grateful for the death of your beloved Jesus.

Sweetdeath

AD, shouldn't you know this whole "jesus died for your sins" statement has ZERO concern/effect on an atheist....?

Just kinda confused why you keep bringing it up. o__o
If I kept saying to you "Odin is the greatest god ever"  you probably wouldn't care.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 04, 2012, 10:38:03 PM
Has nothing to do on what principles this country was founded on at all.  I would challenge you to approach a U.S. vet of any war and treat their flag with any sort of disrespect.  While it's not a point of worship, it is sacred.

So what's he going to do inflict righteous violence on me?
I have very little respect for flags and find the thought of anyone risking their life to defend one obscene.  What values are these flags supposed to stand for, do they remember?  It's difficult to get a country to agree on a set of principles, much easier to convince them to salute a piece of cloth.  It is part of the ugly my country right or wrong phenomenon.   If the decision to go to war is made and the case for it and against is printed out with reasons for the conclusion, I might respect it.  I don't respect icons that people point at to silence those who question the wisdom of rulers.

Theists may be upset by my disrespect for their fantasy, well tough, perhaps if their beliefs weren't so absurd I wouldn't have so many opportunities for mockery.  Religion isn't some harmless silly thing like a Star Trek convention, it is a cruel oppressive tyrant that has enslaved us for millennia.  I recognise some of the slaves do good things and I wish them well, but still I despise their master and I'll mock him whenever the opportunity arrises.

Sweetdeath

^^^
Great post, Pudding!
I think dying in the name of a flag is just as deluted as dying for a mythological god.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

superfes

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 05, 2012, 03:39:33 AM
^^^
Great post, Pudding!
I think dying in the name of a flag is just as deluted as dying for a mythological god.

Even worse is when you do it under the guise of one for the other like they're interwoven somehow >_>
Nothing teaches the true teachings of Jesus Christ better than not following them.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Stevil on January 05, 2012, 03:08:57 AM
Please correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that the character Jesus, did not die for anyone, he did not choose to die. Like all humans, we all die at some stage, or will do one day. Death is inevitable so we can't claim some great sacrifice.
Jesus life was taken from him, the death was not dedicated to humanity, he was put to death for being disruptive to the peace.
Some Christian's want to make something profound of it, even wearing a trinket looking like the device used to kill their favourite bible character.
That's fine, their business, personally I find it a little creepy but who am I to judge them?
What is annoying is when they overstep and suggest that their Jesus died for me and that I ought to be thankful.
Do you really want to be corrected?  I'm amazed at how some people can read books and get every nuance and/or detail about a story, i.e. LoTR or the Hobbit, (not necessarily speaking of exactly you, Stevil) and can then miss the whole purpose of the bible, or in context of HAF, the fairytale. 
Quote from: StevilJesus did not die for me, I did not ask him to and I would never ask anyone to make a blood sacrifice of themselves or of anyone for my sake.
In the context of the "fairytale", one need only read to find you are wrong on this...the part about the Jesus character dying for you.
Quote from: StevilThis I find grotesque and insulting. Don't sling your shit in my direction please. Roast your own savior and feel pleased listening to the crackle of his bubbling skin, or smelling the divine aroma of his charring flesh, feel warm fuzzies believing he is doing this great sacrifice so that you can sin.
I'm sorry you're offended, it is not me that brought up the fairytale in a section not specific to religion and I was not trying to "preach" or "sling" anything at you, but rather in the context of answering or discussing this subject, it was necessary to mention at least the basics.  If you cannot handle a discussion whereby there might be some reference to the bible and the "fairytale" within, then maybe it's best you stay out of this thread...?  Maybe you could try being a bit more civil and not get so tightly strung that you accuse me of "slinging shit" at you or in your direction.
Quote from: StevilBut I will have none of it. As far as I am concerned there was no Jesus, certainly no human-god half breed. No sacrifice, no resurrection. If you are keen to insult me then please feel free to claim that I ought to be grateful for the death of your beloved Jesus.
No one is twisting your arm to participate in this thread.  Again, it was not me that brought this up as a thread topic.  If the claim of a fairytale book insults you...well then...maybe there are deeper issues with you - which is interesting because you seem to be reacting to it more like reality rather than myth.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Davin on January 04, 2012, 11:59:30 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 04, 2012, 11:49:05 PM
Quote from: Davin on January 04, 2012, 11:38:16 PM
Is there some aspect of doubt or inability to rationally defend the concept that results in people resorting to extreme irrational means to defend the belief in the concept?

Kind of like equating living forever to reading one page of a book hundreds or thousands of times?
If you want to talk about that, why not keep it in that thread instead of trying to start it up here?

Not bringing it up to discuss here, but showing how you play the "game" you accuse others of.

Traveler

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 05, 2012, 03:27:17 AM
...It is part of the ugly my country right or wrong phenomenon.   If the decision to go to war is made and the case for it and against is printed out with reasons for the conclusion, I might respect it.  I don't respect icons that people point at to silence those who question the wisdom of rulers...

Agreed. This country was founded on the principles of freedom, and speaking out about, well, everything, is a part of what makes for a strong and free country. It drives me crazy that people are told to shut up because what they're saying is unpatriotic. Hello? Freedom of speech IS patriotism, especially when we think the country is being run into the ground.

I LOVE this quote ...

Quote"When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Sweetdeath

That is a great quote, traveler. <3

Davin

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 05, 2012, 03:56:48 PM
Quote from: Davin on January 04, 2012, 11:59:30 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 04, 2012, 11:49:05 PM
Quote from: Davin on January 04, 2012, 11:38:16 PM
Is there some aspect of doubt or inability to rationally defend the concept that results in people resorting to extreme irrational means to defend the belief in the concept?

Kind of like equating living forever to reading one page of a book hundreds or thousands of times?
If you want to talk about that, why not keep it in that thread instead of trying to start it up here?

Not bringing it up to discuss here, but showing how you play the "game" you accuse others of.
Be very clear about what you're accusing me of, I don't feel like dealing with another back and forth before you finally express what you mean.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Buddy

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 05, 2012, 03:27:17 AM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 04, 2012, 10:38:03 PM
Has nothing to do on what principles this country was founded on at all.  I would challenge you to approach a U.S. vet of any war and treat their flag with any sort of disrespect.  While it's not a point of worship, it is sacred.

So what's he going to do inflict righteous violence on me?
I have very little respect for flags and find the thought of anyone risking their life to defend one obscene.  What values are these flags supposed to stand for, do they remember?  It's difficult to get a country to agree on a set of principles, much easier to convince them to salute a piece of cloth.  It is part of the ugly my country right or wrong phenomenon.   If the decision to go to war is made and the case for it and against is printed out with reasons for the conclusion, I might respect it.  I don't respect icons that people point at to silence those who question the wisdom of rulers.

Theists may be upset by my disrespect for their fantasy, well tough, perhaps if their beliefs weren't so absurd I wouldn't have so many opportunities for mockery.  Religion isn't some harmless silly thing like a Star Trek convention, it is a cruel oppressive tyrant that has enslaved us for millennia.  I recognise some of the slaves do good things and I wish them well, but still I despise their master and I'll mock him whenever the opportunity arrises.

Yes! I have a flag collection that I hung from my ceiling and I've been told that it's disrespectful because they aren't being flown the right way. Really? It's a piece of colored fabric. I only collect them because I find them pretty and neat to look at.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

I think I'm going to create a sub-forum called 'Hell' and just let Davin and AD post in it and nowhere else on the forum. Will you two please stop bitching at each other thank you very much.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Davin on January 05, 2012, 04:29:13 PM
Be very clear about what you're accusing me of, I don't feel like dealing with another back and forth before you finally express what you mean.

Accusation is too strong here.  It was originally more TIC.

Stevil

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 05, 2012, 03:52:21 PM
Quote from: StevilJesus did not die for me, I did not ask him to and I would never ask anyone to make a blood sacrifice of themselves or of anyone for my sake.
In the context of the "fairytale", one need only read to find you are wrong on this...the part about the Jesus character dying for you.
It is you who is attempting to apply the fictional story to me, I am happy to discuss the story, but please don't suggest it applies to me.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Stevil on January 05, 2012, 08:38:02 PM
It is you who is attempting to apply the fictional story to me, I am happy to discuss the story, but please don't suggest it applies to me.

When did I say it applies to you?  In context of the fairytale, it applies to all...it is a fairytale right?  Why does the Atheist get all up in arms about some "fairytale" some deluded person thinks is real?