News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Feeling peace about Christianity

Started by haiguisewhatsup, July 31, 2010, 11:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haiguisewhatsup

So what do people think about the whole "I feel it's true in my heart and I have peace about it" statement that Christians make.

Not sure if people have brought it up here, but I think it's an interesting point of view.. because why would they want to change their beliefs if they are 'happy'?

Davin

If that's all they do then let them be in my opinion. However if they want to do more than just be at peace with their belief, then I begin to have a problem. Personal beliefs are fine with me, tying to change my perspective with poor evidence is something I'm not fine with.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

haiguisewhatsup

Quote from: "Davin"If that's all they do then let them be in my opinion. However if they want to do more than just be at peace with their belief, then I begin to have a problem. Personal beliefs are fine with me, tying to change my perspective with poor evidence is something I'm not fine with.

Yeah I totally agree. I am co-incidentally talking to a Christian friend about this, and she tells me that she doesn't feel the need to look at gods because she knows, from her experience, for Christianity to be true. I can't really say anything back to that. Although I asked her why other people follow religions, and that it's obviously true for them as they wouldn't follow it.. and if they experience it as truth, then they also wouldn't need to justify it because 'they know it's true'.

I'll let you know the response if anyone is interesting/following, haha.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "haiguisewhatsup"So what do people think about the whole "I feel it's true in my heart and I have peace about it" statement that Christians make.
Perhaps "I have peace about it" means they don't think about it.
I have heard people of the church ministers and priests, say maintaining their faith isn't easy at all.

Tank

Quote from: "haiguisewhatsup"So what do people think about the whole "I feel it's true in my heart and I have peace about it" statement that Christians make.

Not sure if people have brought it up here, but I think it's an interesting point of view.. because why would they want to change their beliefs if they are 'happy'?
I do not think people want to change anything if they are in a comfort zone. I spent 4 years as a sales rep attempting to get people to stop buying from their current supplier and buy from me instead. This might sound a trite example but more often than not when one got right down to the nitty gritty of the situation, even though I had a demonstrable better product, it was just too much effort to make the change. The effort (emotional and practical) was just not worth the perceived gain. So if a believer is truly 'happy' then getting them to change their mind will be very difficult.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

NothingSacred

This is a blanket statement so it should be taken with a grain of salt but I find that those who have a peace about it ,feel its true, and are happy clappy are those who are casually religious. They go to church in times of crisis, holidays,and special occasions to get that good feeling but turn and run when all the hellfire and brimstone stuff is taught. The serious theologians and zealots seem to be at less peace possibly because they know what their bible says. Does anyone find it's the less you know the better?
A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices -William James
Anything worth knowing is difficult to learn- Greek Proverb
what if god ain't looking down what if he's looking up instead-Ani difranco "what if no one's watching

coltcat

Quote from: "haiguisewhatsup"Not sure if people have brought it up here, but I think it's an interesting point of view.. because why would they want to change their beliefs if they are 'happy'?
alcohol can make me feel happy too, even while driving.
Off course there is a god , Who else do you thinks brought us pastas?

radicalaggrivation

Quote from: "NothingSacred"

This is a blanket statement so it should be taken with a grain of salt but I find that those who have a peace about it ,feel its true, and are happy clappy are those who are casually religious. They go to church in times of crisis, holidays,and special occasions to get that good feeling but turn and run when all the hellfire and brimstone stuff is taught. The serious theologians and zealots seem to be at less peace possibly because they know what their bible says. Does anyone find it's the less you know the better?

This is a great point. Now days people are more and more liberal about their religious beliefs. Americans are comfortably Christian, even though they probably are not very Christian at all. It's is the selective belief that is common today. There is too much social pressure to exclaim that you are a devoted Christian, so people are not ready to admit that they are not really practicing Christianity. They are practicing a form of selective psuedo Christianity, that can form to their idea of what the religion is. It is the fire and brimstone that people outright ignore. Let's take hell for example. How many people honestly think they could go to hell. Even relatively bad people seem to have this idea that if they are decent they will be okay. The fear of hell is not as powerful as it once was. I am sure we can all point to a time where we heard someone say, "Dude you are so going to hell for saying that. Ha ha ha."

It seems to me that people believe in belief. They think it is a virtue to believe (which is why atheists are so evenly disliked). Liberal Christians have not come to terms with the fact that there religion is not compatible with the trajectory of the human race. No theology is. We are on the cusp of "playing God" as they say and the benefits already outweigh the risks. Because our lives are going to be a product of our own imaginations and creation within the next 50 to 100 years, people will have to come to terms with the incompatibility of their faith before they can accept the advantages everyone else will reap. I have no doubt that faith in religion and God will fade. I guess the question is, when are people going to admit that they don't really believe anymore?
Religious distress is at the same time the expression of real distress and the protest against real distress. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required

wildfire_emissary

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"
Perhaps "I have peace about it" means they don't think about it.
I have heard people of the church ministers and priests, say maintaining their faith isn't easy at all.
I agree with you. Most of 'em Christians do not want to their status quo shaken up and for them that is peace, plain lazy.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Davin"If that's all they do then let them be in my opinion. However if they want to do more than just be at peace with their belief, then I begin to have a problem. Personal beliefs are fine with me, trying to change my perspective with poor evidence is something I'm not fine with.

Yep. I don't push my lack of belief on others.  I expect the same in return regarding their faith.
Illegitimi non carborundum.