News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Justinas is not my grandson by birth or any of that kind of relationship.  I met him online at a boat design forum several years ago.  We  exchanged E mails for a while and became more than just friends with a common interest.  He has been my house guest a couple of times when one or the other of us could afford the cost of the visit.  Justinas proved to be a gentleman of the first order, a magnificent teller of stories, an emerging master craftsman,  and we have become very close. We have become mutual admirers and I think that our relationship has gone beyond the admirer stage.  Thus I claim him as an honorary grandson. He is cool with that.

When he visited us  here in Florida we rented guitars and he did make them beautiful.  He is not in the same league as Vidovic or Sergovia or any of the other masters but he is pretty good at causing the listener to suspect that he must have at least twenty nimble fingers.

P.S. His background ancestors were Jews who were persecuted by the Russians and, before that, the Nazis.  There is a killing field near his hometown of Kaunas where the Third Reich wrought mass killings of Jews or suspected Jews.. He is one of us in his rejection, or at least questioning of the presence of a God like figure.

Buddy

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on September 17, 2019, 12:03:31 AM
Justinas is not my grandson by birth or any of that kind of relationship.  I met him online at a boat design forum several years ago.  We  exchanged E mails for a while and became more than just friends with a common interest.  He has been my house guest a couple of times when one or the other of us could afford the cost of the visit.  Justinas proved to be a gentleman of the first order, a magnificent teller of stories, an emerging master craftsman,  and we have become very close. We have become mutual admirers and I think that our relationship has gone beyond the admirer stage.  Thus I claim him as an honorary grandson. He is cool with that.

When he visited us  here in Florida we rented guitars and he did make them beautiful.  He is not in the same league as Vidovic or Sergovia or any of the other masters but he is pretty good at causing the listener to suspect that he must have at least twenty nimble fingers.

P.S. His background ancestors were Jews who were persecuted by the Russians and, before that, the Nazis.  There is a killing field near his hometown of Kaunas where the Third Reich wrought mass killings of Jews or suspected Jews.. He is one of us in his rejection, or at least questioning of the presence of a God like figure.

Icarus, it was good to read of your friendship with Justinas. You are very lucky to have such a special relationship with him.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on September 16, 2019, 06:31:45 PM
Quote from: Icarus on September 12, 2019, 11:39:50 PM
That is beautiful Bruno.  I have long been hooked on classical guitar music. 

I suspect that you know of,  perhaps listened to,  the elegant Ana Vidovic and the sexy but wonderfully talented Tatiana Rhyzkova.  Xuefi Yang is also a spectacular classical guitarist. 

If you want to hear some incredibly skillful Gypsy Jazz, then look for Damjan Pejinoski.  These people are all on You Tube for our enjoyment.

My adopted grandson is a Lithuanian who lives  in the city of Kaunas. He is a classical guitarist with a fair degree of talent and ability.  He told me that the fondest wish of the classical guitarist, referring to their guitar, is: "try to make her believe that she is beautiful".  Your lady is pretty close to that goal.

Thanks Icarus, and yes I have long been a fan of Ana Vidovic, she is probably my favorite guitarist as her skill and ability are unmatched in my opinion. In fact I do believe in years past I have posted some of her performances in this very thread.

Thanks for the heads up on Damjan, I wasn't too familiar with him, but I do think I had seen a couple short clips of him before on Instagram.

Glad to hear about your grandson, I bet he's a joy to listen to. :)

I agree with Hermes, sounds like a special relationship, and I would love to hear him play.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Buddy

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Icarus

Here is another little girl who is a marelous talent and a pretty good show person. She has several You Tube vids nearby  that are pleasing to see and hear.

Enjoy.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Red_Cloud

Listen to this beautiful love song! Sadly, it ends all too soon. Ah! . . . They don't make them like this anymore!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbQZTH3AqmU

Red_Cloud

Quote from: Magdalena on October 02, 2019, 04:51:38 AM
Just a serenata:tellmemore:

Listen up, and listen up good! All you god buggering heathens don't know what "proper" music is!
I like my music to tell a story, to have a meaning, to move me.
So I do humbly invite you to listen to these.
They have probably never been chart toppers, and I doubt that most of you will have heard of most of these.

Seriously now!

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Red_Cloud on October 02, 2019, 02:19:40 PM

Listen up, and listen up good! All you god buggering heathens don't know what "proper" music is!

No, but we nose to avoid "proper" when we ears it.

I first heard Lucy singing Spanish Leather looking like my favourite aunt... youtube, she used to be a brilliant young thing trying not to be overtly clever.

I'm pretty sure I've posted the red ship Gordon tune.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Red_Cloud on October 02, 2019, 02:19:40 PM

Red_Cloud

Hi Bad Penny II, I likes them two tracks you put up.
I try not to go over the top in my genital piss-taking, (sorry, that should be gentle!)
So I urge members not to take me to seriously sometimes.
My first introduction to proper music was Bill Haley and the Comets, with "Rock Around the Clock." That was in 1954 here in the UK, I was 14 years old. Then came Little Richard, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly and many, many others, and of course Elvis. And then the Beatles, with "Love Me Do" in 1962. I was 21 years old. The Rolling Stones and many other groups followed, and there was still great music coming from the States. The Eagles, Bruce Springstein Creedence Clearwater Revival and many others. Some of the earlier years are somewhat dated now. You had to be alive in those times. I cant describe to younger generations the tingle that went down my spin when John Lennon walked live on stage and opened up with "Twist and Shout" I saw the "Fab Four" live 5 times back in those days.
I suppose I'm stuck in a time-warp of those halcyon days of my youth. So please don't take me seriously when I mention my "proper" music! I mean no offence or disrespect. I'm just a senile old git.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Red_Cloud on October 02, 2019, 06:12:12 PM
Hi Bad Penny II, I likes them two tracks you put up.
I try not to go over the top in my genital piss-taking, (sorry, that should be gentle!)
So I urge members not to take me to seriously sometimes.
My first introduction to proper music was Bill Haley and the Comets, with "Rock Around the Clock." That was in 1954 here in the UK, I was 14 years old. Then came Little Richard, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly and many, many others, and of course Elvis. And then the Beatles, with "Love Me Do" in 1962. I was 21 years old. The Rolling Stones and many other groups followed, and there was still great music coming from the States. The Eagles, Bruce Springstein Creedence Clearwater Revival and many others. Some of the earlier years are somewhat dated now. You had to be alive in those times. I cant describe to younger generations the tingle that went down my spin when John Lennon walked live on stage and opened up with "Twist and Shout" I saw the "Fab Four" live 5 times back in those days.
I suppose I'm stuck in a time-warp of those halcyon days of my youth. So please don't take me seriously when I mention my "proper" music! I mean no offence or disrespect. I'm just a senile old git.

Hello Cloud of Red,

I don't think we've met yet,...anyways I have a deep love of music, and like you in my younger days (Though I don't go back near as far as you) I had the pleasure of being able to enjoy a large number of bands and performances live. Many I remember quite distinctly, and some are a bit cloudy, though the haze was most likely due more to a bit of overindulgence in alcohol and the other things getting passed around at the time than loss of memory.

I'm too young to have seen the Beatles, but I did get to see Sir Paul a couple times here in Detroit...one of my coworkers, who is a bit older than myself actually worked security backstage for the Beatles when he was a student at the University when they played here in Detroit at the old Tiger Stadium. He didn't meet them personally, but got to see them briefly backstage after the show. He said the excitement and pandemonium going on around them was out of this world.

Anyways I'm always up to hear something new, or something old, or something strange. However. Please be advise that you cannot post any music by the band Abba on the forum, in fact if you do it will get you banned for life. (It's in the rules)

Be good, and here is an awesome live acoustic version of Melissa by the Allman Brothers,...enjoy, cuz it rarely gets any better than this. I mean this is some proper shit dude!

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.