News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

"We're praying for you!"

Started by Dobermonster, April 17, 2012, 09:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dobermonster

I thought I had this issue pretty well down - I don't normally take offense if I'm unwell and someone tells me they'll pray for me. To me it just means they're thinking about me and want to do something that feels like helping. I just say 'thank you' and smile in return. Now . . . when these particular people *know* you're an atheist, and feel compelled to end every conversation with "I'll be praying for you!", well, it just started to get on my nerves a bit. Especially when they send their pastor by to also pray for you . . . twice . . . and give you scripture verses . . . honestly I was gritting my teeth and forcing a smile by the end of it, mostly to concentrate on something other than saying something I might regret. What's a polite but firm way to deflect this kind of thing?

Tank

Quote from: Dobermonster on April 17, 2012, 09:43:18 PM
What's a polite but firm way to deflect this kind of thing?
'I'd rather you donated $10 to 'insert atheist charity here' thank you.' And don't forget to smile  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ali

I think a simple "Thank you, but that's not necessary" with a beautific smile gets the point across.

Sweetdeath

Ugh rude... Especially if they   know you're an atheist. I would go with Tank's suggestion.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

How about "You can pray for me, but I'd rather you don't pray TO me"  ;D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

ThinkAnarchy

You should tell them as a thank you, you will talk with Satan on their behalf.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

keithpenrod

I say live and let live.  As long as they want to just pray for me and do their own thing, I'm happy.  If they want to tell me they're praying for me, just because they hope that will comfort me, I'm okay with that too.  If they're being as aggressive about it as you say they are, I would have no problem telling them exactly how I feel about their religion because at that point they're not "letting live".  They're not allowing me to follow my chosen path--of non-religion. 

So, if I had a friend send their pastor to me, I would have no problem telling the pastor that I will never convert to any religion that believes in fairy tales such as a supernatural being.  And, if they gave scripture verses, I would have no qualm with letting them know exactly what I thought of the passages.  Some passages of scripture I find to be wise, and others foolish, so it would depend on which passage they shared.  I think that this is a polite method because I am letting them know how I feel so that they can make better decisions based on that information.

OldGit

I always say I'd rather they didn't pray for me; not because prayer can have any effect on me, but because I'd rather not be the cause of them degrading themselves by grovelling to some ludicrous imaginary totem pole.

Asmodean

"Don't pray for me. Pray to me, ASSHOLE!  >:( "

"...Generous donations of coin to The Bank of I are also accepted."

...That's what I say. Or some variation - I have several with varying degree of political correctness and intended hurtfulness.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Asmodean on April 18, 2012, 10:36:34 AM
"Don't pray for me. Pray to me, ASSHOLE!  >:( "

I thought you might say that.
It gives you the chance to scornfully disregard their requests.

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on April 18, 2012, 10:40:01 AM
Precisely. Then The Asmo can put on an even more Asmo-like expression than usual, take a long pause and say "NO.  >:( "
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Jimmy

I usually don't say anything and sometimes that says a lot.
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

keithpenrod

Quote from: Asmodean on April 18, 2012, 12:07:11 PM
Precisely. Then The Asmo can put on an even more Asmo-like expression than usual, take a long pause and say "NO.  >:( "

Asmo?

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: keithpenrod on April 18, 2012, 06:31:34 PM

Asmo?

Asmodean likes to refer to himself in the third person as "Asmo" a lot.   ;)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

The Magic Pudding

Or not even bother.

There's power in the not even bothering.