News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

abortion poll

Started by pytheas, February 21, 2012, 07:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: pytheas on February 26, 2012, 06:34:19 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on February 23, 2012, 07:32:33 PM
Quote from: Ali on February 23, 2012, 07:12:15 PM
What if the reason is "in our culture we devalue women, so we aborted the baby when we found out it was a girl?"

Reason enough for me.

My moral hight horse is really a pony, and from my moral pony, I don't see how I have the right to dictate equality and respect to a society I am not a part of, nor do I see any justification for calling someone's personal choice universally bad.

-going on number four, was building a football team and an extra financial burden
-the baby routine is a toll in the freedom of the adult that should for the child's sake last 3 years, enough is enough we had our share
-we wanted it beacause we hadn;t done it
-I did it to her, and I would eat it-sautee with shallots- if I was a little bit more religious...

As a single male before partnering with serious gravity, without my genes being involved, I did not allow myself an oppinion. When my genes were involved I strongly suggested and encouraged the day after pill.That was a risk, if she kept it i would have a problem.  I guess if i didnt have the intelligence to prevent conceptions, I would have the brutality to punch my loinfruit out of the woman's belly

pytheas - This reads very badly. Please keep inflammatory/offensive thoughts like this to yourself in the future. Tank
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

pytheas

Quote from: Tank on February 26, 2012, 08:30:23 PM
pytheas - This reads very badly. Please keep inflammatory/offensive thoughts like this to yourself in the future. Tank

"typically you would really only expect the man to be really involved if he is part of some sort of coupling"

"typically you would really only expect the man to be really an asshole and that is why I am happy to be gay?"

just playing the role Tank, to fit into the "reading very nicely" swiping generalisations.

Typically expect anything and everything
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

Guardian85

As a single male before partnering with serious gravity, without my genes being involved, I did not allow myself an oppinion. When my genes were involved I strongly suggested and encouraged the day after pill.That was a risk, if she kept it i would have a problem.  I guess if i didnt have the intelligence to prevent conceptions, I would have the brutality to punch my loinfruit out of the woman's belly

That is way over the top...

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

Quote from: pytheas on February 27, 2012, 02:29:39 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 26, 2012, 08:30:23 PM

"typically you would really only expect the man to be really involved if he is part of some sort of coupling"

"typically you would really only expect the man to be really an asshole and that is why I am happy to be gay?"

just playing the role Tank, to fit into the "reading very nicely" swiping generalisations.

Typically expect anything and everything

Oh yes, it's my fault and SweetD's fault that you commented that you would "punch the loinfruit" (gag) out of a woman.  If you have a problem with my comments, please don't bother to actually address what I said, just talk about sickening domestic violence instead, and when you get called on it, point fingers at other people.

Davin

It is a complicated issue. Ultimately, the man has no right to tell a woman what to do with her body, just like a woman has no right to tell a man to do with his body. I'd be for a thing like the comedy Junior (starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny Devito), where if we had the technology, the guy could take over bearing the child if he wanted to keep it. But we don't have that and I don't see how forcing a woman too bear a child against her will can be justified.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Stevil

if i didnt have the intelligence to prevent conceptions, I would have the brutality to punch my loinfruit out of the woman's belly
We had a case in NZ where a future Rugby League star did this. He phoned up his pregnant girlfriend and got her to meet him at a park, whereby him and a friend attacked her to force an abortion.

This is sometimes the result of law protecting the woman's right to abort but not the man's right to abort.
I would never condone this, it is horrific, but it is a reality of our society, given the rules we live under.

Ali

Quote from: Stevil on February 27, 2012, 06:21:34 PM
if i didnt have the intelligence to prevent conceptions, I would have the brutality to punch my loinfruit out of the woman's belly
We had a case in NZ where a future Rugby League star did this. He phoned up his pregnant girlfriend and got her to meet him at a park, whereby him and a friend attacked her to force an abortion.

This is sometimes the result of law protecting the woman's right to abort but not the man's right to abort.
I would never condone this, it is horrific, but it is a reality of our society, given the rules we live under.

Which rules would be better?

Amicale

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 27, 2012, 03:28:43 PM

That is way over the top...

To put it mildly. Ugh. Pytheas, I'm surprised you'd say something like that. Punch loinfruit out of the woman's belly? Seriously? Even as a joke, it's not funny in the slightest. Too many of us have had pregnancy complications and losses to be willing to accept anyone here saying something so crass. And then after Tank asked you to knock it off, you didn't apologize or back down. Show some class and consideration, please.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Amicale

Quote from: Stevil on February 27, 2012, 06:21:34 PM

Women have the right to abort because it's their body affected, not a man's body being affected. If a man doesn't want a child, he does not have the right to harm the mother of the child. Instead, he can give up his parental rights entirely if he doesn't want anything to do with a baby. Attacking someone is never an option. The story you told about the woman in the park is horrific.  :'( I sincerely hope she pressed charges and got a restraining order. Any "man" who would treat a woman that way needs mental help and to stay the hell out of sexual relationships for a good long while.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Asmodean

I've always found rubbies to be a better solution to unwanted pregnancies than violence.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Guardian85

Quote from: Amicale on February 27, 2012, 09:08:19 PM
Women have the right to abort because it's their body affected, not a man's body being affected. If a man doesn't want a child, he does not have the right to harm the mother of the child. Instead, he can give up his parental rights entirely if he doesn't want anything to do with a baby. Attacking someone is never an option. The story you told about the woman in the park is horrific.  :'( I sincerely hope she pressed charges and got a restraining order. Any "man" who would treat a woman that way needs mental help and to stay the hell out of sexual relationships for a good long while.

IMO, in that story from New Zealand there was no "man"; there was a bitch... and then there was a pregnant woman. 8)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Amicale

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 27, 2012, 09:29:39 PM

IMO, in that story from New Zealand there was no "man"; there was a bitch... and then there was a pregnant woman. 8)

You're kinder than I'd be.  ;D

Asmodean

Quote from: Amicale on February 27, 2012, 10:09:16 PM
The Asmo prefers to neither judge nor condemn the actions of people he doesn't know in situations he might not be aware of in a country far, far away.

So the guy commited an act of violence. In his shoes, would I? Probably not. But can I really know that without actually being in his shoes, complete with his mentality and all the rest of surrounding circumstances..?

I find the act itself disagreeable, but refrain from passing judgement on the person responsible.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Stevil

Instead, he can give up his parental rights entirely if he doesn't want anything to do with a baby.
If the woman wants to keep it then by law she is entitled to child support from the father.

Anne D.

Quote from: Asmodean on February 27, 2012, 10:25:03 PM
Quote from: Amicale on February 27, 2012, 10:09:16 PM
The Asmo prefers to neither judge nor condemn the actions of people he doesn't know in situations he might not be aware of in a country far, far away.

So the guy commited an act of violence. In his shoes, would I? Probably not. But can I really know that without actually being in his shoes, complete with his mentality and all the rest of surrounding circumstances..?

I find the act itself disagreeable, but refrain from passing judgement on the person responsible.

By "surrounding circumstances" do you mean actions on the woman's part? What surrounding circumstances would make an attack like that okay? From the description, the attack sounds premeditated, not like something done in the heat of the moment.