News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

"God bless you"

Started by keithpenrod, December 07, 2011, 12:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keithpenrod

I'm only posting this here because I'm new and I can't post in the "Life as an atheist" or "religion" boards.

Anyway, I've grown to like the phrase "God bless you".  Often, I'll say it as a farewell, sometimes I'll say it when someone is going through something unfortunate.  Personally, I don't see anything wrong with me saying this phrase, even though I'm an atheist now and I don't think there's any god out there to do any such blessing.  I say it to believers because they believe that god will bless them, and so they're grateful for me wishing those blessings upon them. 

But, it's also come to mean something to me and I'm not sure how to communicate that sentiment any way aside from "god bless you".  What would I say to a fellow atheist who I think is wonderful and is a good example of what a person should do/be?  To a believer, I'd say "god bless you", because it communicates this feeling of praise I have for them, indicating that I think they're "worthy" of blessings from their deity because of their outstanding behavior. 

So, what "religious" phrases have you given up?  What new phrases have you come up with to replace them?  Any suggestions for what to say to replace "god bless you"?  I suppose the problem is that it works in so many different situations.  I did find a thread on here where someone asked a similar question, but the entire thread was limited to the case where it is said immediately following a sneeze, which is yet another usage of this versatile phrase.

xSilverPhinx

Funnily enough I was thinking about this the other day. One guy said "god be with you" to me online and I replied "you too", which made me feel a bit odd. I usually don't even give these sorts of phases second thought, though. They don't have any religious connotation to me, but they're still appropriate for certain situations.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

DeterminedJuliet

I usually say "take care of yourself" or something along those lines. Or, if it's someone I really care about, I think a good ol' fashioned "love you" is the best parting words you can say.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Buddy

Same with Juliet. I would just feel awkward saying "God bless you."
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

wildfire_emissary

We can always put our farewells in quantum context like "good luck."  ;D
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: wildfire_emissary on December 07, 2011, 01:33:11 AM
We can always put our farewells in quantum context like "good luck."  ;D

"may the cosmic dice be with you"  ;)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Pharaoh Cat

To men I say, "Good man!"

To women, I say, "You are a treasure!"

To my cat I say, "Greatest of all!"

"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

The Magic Pudding

+1 for Juliet's and Wildfire's suggestions.
I don't do live long and prosper much in life but in forums I do.
I like the sentiment "I wish you well."
Does "be good" have a be well meaning?
If "god bless you" is a reward, you could just say well done, great work.

keithpenrod

Thanks for all the input.  I do use "have fun" and "take care" as my most common words of farewell. 

Another phrase that people say all the time, though, is "I'll pray for you" (or some variant).  When people say that to me, I'm quite indifferent.  I don't believe it will do any good, so I find their actions futile, but at the same time, I think it's the thought that counts and the fact that they're praying for me means they want what's best for me, so I always reply with expressions of gratitude.  But, I've also found myself wanting to say that phrase when believers tell me their problems in life.  I want to express sympathy and/or empathy and "I'll pray for you" is one of the statements that pops up.  I usually don't say it, though, and I don't think I should, since I really won't pray for them and I don't know if they'd take it well, knowing that I don't believe in god anymore. 

not your typical...

Quote from: keithpenrod on December 07, 2011, 03:45:52 AM
Thanks for all the input.  I do use "have fun" and "take care" as my most common words of farewell. 

Another phrase that people say all the time, though, is "I'll pray for you" (or some variant).  When people say that to me, I'm quite indifferent.  I don't believe it will do any good, so I find their actions futile, but at the same time, I think it's the thought that counts and the fact that they're praying for me means they want what's best for me, so I always reply with expressions of gratitude.  But, I've also found myself wanting to say that phrase when believers tell me their problems in life.  I want to express sympathy and/or empathy and "I'll pray for you" is one of the statements that pops up.  I usually don't say it, though, and I don't think I should, since I really won't pray for them and I don't know if they'd take it well, knowing that I don't believe in god anymore. 
For the "I'll pray for you" thing, try maybe, "I'm rooting for you" Or "I'm here for you". Even though I'm a Christian, I typically hate using the who "God bless" or "I'll pray for you" hooks because 9 times out of 10, when I say them I mean it as an insult.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

OldGit

It's become a deeply-ingrained habit with me to say "thank god for that" and similar short phrases.  I try not to, but they're in the auto-pilot bit of my brain.  But it seems to me that just about everyone does the same in England, and there's nothing religious about them any more.  I have a book of very naughty army songs called "For Gawd's Sake Don't Take Me" - definitely not hymns!
And  we all use phrases like Crikey, Cripes, Gosh, Gordon Bennet, Jeepers, Gee Whillikins.  All these are or once were euphemisms to avoid blasphemy.
For chrissake, who cares.

Sweetdeath

I auto-say "bless you" when someone sneezes. Need to get out of that habit.

But when I see someone I want to really avoid, I say "jesus fucking christ on a cracker" just to annoy any religious person around.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Buddy

Quote from: Sweetdeath on December 07, 2011, 05:23:05 PM

But when I see someone I want to really avoid, I say "jesus fucking christ on a cracker" just to annoy any religious person around.

I say the same thing, minus the fucking. The fucking makes it to long in my opinion.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Asmodean

I think it is a matter of habit. Using phrases that include gods or prophets in everyday situations is not something I do, mostly because I do not see such as appropriate or meaningful in regular conversation.

However, I also think that one should not put too much stock in which expression someone chooses as a "good luck" or after you've sneezed - they are just words without that much meaning attached.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Budhorse4 on December 07, 2011, 05:25:11 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on December 07, 2011, 05:23:05 PM

I say the same thing, minus the fucking. The fucking makes it to long in my opinion.

Yay~
I kinda laugh when people say I am blasphomis, because if I don't believe in it, how do I offend?
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.