News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Scared of Hell, do you think this is accurate?

Started by manga, April 30, 2017, 09:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manga

Hi everyone,
I'm sorry I keep bringing this up, but I still have this deep routed fear in hell. I seem to get recommendations on youtube of people apparently "dying" and going to hell. Usually, they will claim that they used to be atheists, or people who laughed at religion. Then, they ended up getting into an accident, "dying", and experiencing hell, before calling out to Jesus, and a bright bright light shows up, and rescues them from hell. They relate this to the Bible where Jonah dies, goes to hell, calls out to Jesus, and he saves him. Do you think the fact that so many people have similar stories gives them any credence? Why do all these hell testimonies have the same descriptions, and then when they call out to Jesus a white light comes? Do you think it is possible that even the brain could conduct such a story where the person sees darkness or demons, calls out to Jesus, and then the person gets saved?

here is an example of what I am talking about, and there are many videos similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II_3H9O4LSo

do you think it is possible that this man lied? Also, even if he didn't would you reject his claims?

I think these videos are catered to people like me who have always believed in the past, and now, as I am questioning, this video brings back fear which shields me from being rational, as my fear takes over.

Dave

Manga, not sure what else to advise you that has not already been said.

People having personal fantasies, wanting to frighten unbelievers into becoming believers by making up stories, people using instilled fear to gain some sort of power or influence over ithers etc, etc, etc, are ten a penny, have been around since humanity discovered abstract ideas about nature and have probably caused more human suffering, overall, than any other group.

For all of human history believers in the supernatural have well outnumbered non-believers, especially enlightened or "intelectual" non-believers. No-one has yet nanaged to produce any real, substantiated evidence for the existence of heaven or hell. Do you believe in any of the "faury" stories, in Grims' Tales, in Alice in Wonderland? They all have as much to do with human nature and psychology as the bible.

These people are playing on your fears, manga, playing on your psychology! Only you can deny them this power over your mind. Find something, a picture, a thought, an object, of the real world that you value, use it as an "anchor"; bring it to mind or to hand when you are tempted to delve into the dark places on Youtube or wherever. Amulets, icons, totems, talismans, lockets, lucky charms, rabbits feet etc have been used by just about every culture for similar purposes - for "protection" or as a link to some-thing/one/where important. As a distraction from fear.

Still seems a bit irrational to many but it is something deep in the human mind - might as well use it for good! But do not, if you want to break this problem you have, choose a crucifix or other religious symbol, that will simply tie you in more. Give yourself the chance to create a little distance; you cannot see the whole forest properly if your are hugging a single tree too tightly.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: manga on April 30, 2017, 09:36:01 PM
Do you think the fact that so many people have similar stories gives them any credence?

No. 

There are many cases where loads of people believe the same crap and that doesn't give that crap credence.

QuoteWhy do all these hell testimonies have the same descriptions, and then when they call out to Jesus a white light comes?

It could be due to the power of suggestion. They could just be highly suggestive people.

Now I have a question for you:

Why is it that Christians see "visions" of Christian themes while Muslims see Allah and Mohammed and so on?

QuoteDo you think it is possible that even the brain could conduct such a story where the person sees darkness or demons, calls out to Jesus, and then the person gets saved?

The brain can make things up.

Quotedo you think it is possible that this man lied? Also, even if he didn't would you reject his claims?

Of course it's possible that he lied. It's also possible that he experienced something caused by brain hipoxia, like a weird dream generated by a dying (not dead) brain.

I wouldn't really care about his claims even if he didn't lie, they mean nothing to me, so yeah, I would reject them.

QuoteI think these videos are catered to people like me who have always believed in the past, and now, as I am questioning, this video brings back fear which shields me from being rational, as my fear takes over.

I wish I had a solution for you, manga.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Arturo

I think these videos are catered to people like me who have always believed in the past, and now, as I am questioning, this video brings back fear which shields me from being rational, as my fear takes over.

YouTube and many other websites have this thing called "targeted ads". What it means is, if you look for things about NDEs, Athiesm, Christianity, you will get things that are catered to that. This is not a person doing this. It's an algorithm that goes off your past internet activity to bring you things specifically​ catered to you. So it may seem that they were made exactly for you, to watch at that time, but it's not. They just bring things most relevant to what you look at. It's feeding into your insecurities because you began to do that your self.

To divert your attention away from that, look for how to delete your web history in your browser and on YouTube. Then begin to look at a variety of things so that it stays off balance, or get a free VPN. Another strategy might be to view links and videos that people share here. That will also send the algorithm off.

You'll get through this Manga, trust me.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Sandra Craft

I seem to get recommendations on youtube of people apparently "dying" and going to hell. Usually, they will claim that they used to be atheists, or people who laughed at religion. Then, they ended up getting into an accident, "dying", and experiencing hell, before calling out to Jesus, and a bright bright light shows up, and rescues them from hell. They relate this to the Bible where Jonah dies, goes to hell, calls out to Jesus, and he saves him. Do you think the fact that so many people have similar stories gives them any credence?

Assuming that these former atheists were raised in Xtian cultures, absolutely not -- in fact I'd be more surprised if they didn't hallucinate such things.  All this is standard indoctrination in this country, even kids outside the Xtian religion pick up some of it.  When a belief is planted in the brain at the earliest age and is constantly (or near constantly) reinforced by family and society all ones life, it is very hard to get rid of.  Even after being rejected intellectually, it still has emotional power and probably always will have. 

That these imagines, entirely consistent with lifelong Xtian programming, should come flooding to the foreground during a highly wrought emotional moment (which I imagine an NDE must be) is to be expected.  Personally, I dismiss them just on the grounds of their extreme predictability under the circumstances, and the ease with which they can be naturally explained. 

Now, if you could find a group of people who had never, and I mean NEVER, been exposed in any way to Western Civilization, much less a Xtian preacher, and they had exactly those hallucinations during NDEs, that would be a puzzle worth investigating.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

manga

The only thing I wonder is, is it believed in Christianity that if one calls out to Jesus that he will save them, or that he is a light? There are so many of these videos where people describe the exact same events.

Magdalena

Hi everyone,
I'm sorry I keep bringing this up, but I still have this deep routed fear in hell. I seem to get recommendations on youtube of people apparently "dying" and going to hell. Usually, they will claim that they used to be atheists, or people who laughed at religion. Then, they ended up getting into an accident, "dying", and experiencing hell, before calling out to Jesus, and a bright bright light shows up, and rescues them from hell. They relate this to the Bible where Jonah dies, goes to hell, calls out to Jesus, and he saves him. Do you think the fact that so many people have similar stories gives them any credence? Why do all these hell testimonies have the same descriptions, and then when they call out to Jesus a white light comes? Do you think it is possible that even the brain could conduct such a story where the person sees darkness or demons, calls out to Jesus, and then the person gets saved?

here is an example of what I am talking about, and there are many videos similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II_3H9O4LSo

do you think it is possible that this man lied? Also, even if he didn't would you reject his claims?

manga, manguita... :smileshake:

Wouldn't you be happier if you joined a Near Death Experience Forum? You guys could talk about this stuff 24/7. They'll tell you what you want to hear, if you're scared, they'll scare you even more, if you doubt it's real, they'll convince you that it is.

What do you want from us? We're not the ones recommending this videos, so why are you asking us? Are you trying to convince us that this is real, or are you really scared about hell and you want us to convince you that hell and demons are not real? Why should we help you "fix" all the damage religion has done to you?

This is what I want to know....
Assuming god and hell are real, there's a reason why god sent someone there, isn't there? Why would god send you there, and then save you? Sounds like wishful thinking to me.  :smileshake:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

mags:
Assuming god and hell are real, there's a reason why god sent someone there, isn't there? Why would god send you there, and then save you?

It's real simple mags, the creator of the universe, is a petty, spiteful prick.

Arturo

Quote from: manga on May 01, 2017, 01:14:26 AM
The only thing I wonder is, is it believed in Christianity that if one calls out to Jesus that he will save them, or that he is a light? There are so many of these videos where people describe the exact same events.

I think the running theory is that Christianity took ideas from Egyptians who worshiped the sun. There was a figure in that religion that said it was the literal sun incarnation, or something like that. Then somewhere along the line christianity turned Jesus into that figure. So basically, Jesus is the sun, the sun is literally light, and light has a lot of philosophical significance.

For example, in a hypothetical situation​, there were some guys who grew up in a dark prison and saw only shadows on a wall. When one escaped, they saw actual light and were blinded. That is an actual philosophical story. It has no symbolism until we give it to it. The story actually goes on to say that the escaped prisoner went back to tell the others and they didn't believe him. That's where it ends. The stories were around in Rome long before Christianity came there. So they just adapted it to fit their purpose. It's not Jesus that is actually light, it's more likely that there is some cookie cutter layout that these stories come from.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Biggus Dickus

Jesus can't help you...Christian Boy Dies For 3 Minutes, Meets Allah in Heaven.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Quote from: No one on May 01, 2017, 02:17:03 AM
mags:
Assuming god and hell are real, there's a reason why god sent someone there, isn't there? Why would god send you there, and then save you?

It's real simple mags, the creator of the universe, is a petty, spiteful prick.

There is that possibility.  :notsure:

...Now the question is:
Why would someone kneel before a petty, spiteful prick?  :eyebrow:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Father Bruno on May 01, 2017, 03:14:09 AM
Jesus can't help you...Christian Boy Dies For 3 Minutes, Meets Allah in Heaven.

Wow!  :o

Sandra Craft

Both.  Seriously, you didn't hear these growing up?
Sandy

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on May 01, 2017, 03:54:42 AM

...Now the question is:
Why would someone kneel before a petty, spiteful prick?  :eyebrow:

:o
Sandy

Arturo

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 01, 2017, 04:57:09 AM

Both.  Seriously, you didn't hear these growing up?

Well manga hasn't been instilled in American creationism. Originally from Ukraine.
     Arturo The1  リ壱