News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 27, 2019, 12:47:31 PM
Many of you know how I feel about public speaking, it scares the shit out of me but I'm still looking forward to participating.

Yes but didn't you also say somewhere you'd like to be a science communicator?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on January 27, 2019, 01:40:56 PM
Many of you know how I feel about public speaking, it scares the shit out of me but I'm still looking forward to participating.

Yes but didn't you also say somewhere you'd like to be a science communicator?

Yes, which is why I really want to get over my fear of public speaking.  :sad sigh:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Excellent. Practice makes perfect.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Being afraid is one thing. Having the courage to stand up is another.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Buddy

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

jumbojak

That's cool Buddy. I'm an uncle several times over now. I only know one nephew though.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Buddy

This is the first baby in our family. I'm just going to be the cool aunt who buys the kid a mini for their birthday
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Icarus

Buy the kid some diapers first Buddy .

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on January 27, 2019, 05:44:20 PM
This is the first baby in our family. I'm just going to be the cool aunt who buys the kid a mini for their birthday

You'll make a super aunty!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on January 27, 2019, 02:10:39 PM
Being afraid is one thing. Having the courage to stand up is another.

I try to gather shreds of courage to face an audience of people who are sitting there, judging me, but it isn't easy.  :run!:

The professor who is organising the local event finally replied to my message. I will meet her on Wednesday so that we may plan what I'll be doing. :grin:

xSilverPhinx

Dark Lightning

Congrats, Buddy!

Silver, just pretend they're all naked (this is true, it's just covered by clothes). It'll help your nerves.

I'm all happy that I paid just under a kilobuck for our new dishwasher. :rolleyes: Got it on markdown and then got a 10% ex-military discount. Now, my son will have to help me remove the old one, unload the new one from my truck and bring it into the house.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 27, 2019, 11:58:26 PM
Congrats, Buddy!

Silver, just pretend they're all naked (this is true, it's just covered by clothes). It'll help your nerves.

I'm all happy that I paid just under a kilobuck for our new dishwasher. :rolleyes: Got it on markdown and then got a 10% ex-military discount. Now, my son will have to help me remove the old one, unload the new one from my truck and bring it into the house.

Did I read this right? You paid all most $1,000 for a dishwasher?

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on January 28, 2019, 07:38:44 AM
Congrats, Buddy!

Yup. Sick, ain't it?  :(

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 28, 2019, 04:40:56 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 28, 2019, 07:38:44 AM
Congrats, Buddy!

Yup. Sick, ain't it?  :(

How big is it? In the UK you can buy a new reasonable 8 place setting dish washer for £250 ($300) inc sales tax (VAT@20%). Ok if you go seriously upmarket your talking £400 ($480). I don't know of a mainstream dishwasher at $1,000 (£833).