News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

The Health and/or Diet Thread

Started by Sandra Craft, January 21, 2012, 08:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

I'm going to make a homemade minestrone soup today, and maybe some sort of cheddar bread (we have a bread maker) so is super easy.

The minestrone soup recipe I'm going to try is here:
http://www.savvyhomemade.com/homemade-vegetable-soup.html (2nd recipe down)

Except I'm going to use veggie stock instead of chicken stock.  Mmmmm, soup sounds just right.

Skipping my zumba class today.  Still sick.   :-\

Sweetdeath

That sounds absolutely delicious, Ali! Feel better soon. :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Ali on January 22, 2012, 03:18:04 PM
I'm going to make a homemade minestrone soup today, and maybe some sort of cheddar bread (we have a bread maker) so is super easy.

The minestrone soup recipe I'm going to try is here:

Except I'm going to use veggie stock instead of chicken stock.  Mmmmm, soup sounds just right.

Skipping my zumba class today.  Still sick.   :-\

Have a nice cup of  
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ali on January 22, 2012, 01:07:44 AM
Sadly, I suspect you may be right about my cold - it's hanging on and on....I went walking through the mall with my parents today and by the end of it I could barely put one foot in front of the other.  I'm truly amazed how much this illness has taken out of me.

Do not push that cold, it can push back hard.  My stepmother has it as well and recently wound up in the ER because of it.

QuoteThe minestrone soup recipe I'm going to try is here:

That does sound good -- I've added it to my favorites.  Never seen it done with green beans before, but then the Italian restaurant across the street from me puts potatoes in theirs which I've never seen anywhere else either.

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

SummerintheDam

Hi there... I also have Hashimoto's and struggle to lose weight at times but I can tell you that cardio is not going to keep the weight off. The best way to do that is a combo of resistance training and interval work... Most of which can be done at home and using body weight.... I have dropped 2 inches off of each thigh using this method and lost all my baby weight in 6 months (post baby)... Happy to share details of workouts if interested?

Quote from: Ali on January 21, 2012, 04:30:36 PM
So, my big thing is that I have to put in a real effort to exercise regularly, and to really try to limit "junk" foods and try to focus on whole foods.  My usual routine is that I walk for at least a half an hour a day on my breaks at work, and then 2 days a week I go to the gym and do an hour of cardio on the machines (I switch it up between the elliptical, the bike, and the rowing machine) and 2 days a week I take an hour and fifteen minute Zumbia class, but being careful about modifying some of the moves so they don't completely kill my joints.  I tried running for a while, and it was a great way to keep off the weight, but my stupid knees and hips just couldn't handle it, so I try to do things that are lower impact.  I want to get into some strength training because I know that strengthening my muscles will help stabilize my joints, but I'm not really sure where to start so I want to hire a trainer to get me started once I have some money (or find out if my insurance would pay for it) because I'm scared of using bad form and hurting my poor stressed out joints even more.

Of course, I haven't been to the gym in over a week now because I'm sick as a dog (still!) and don't feel up to it.  But soon.

I love the idea of this thread; let's all keep each other motivated!

EDIT: Fixed quotes - Tank

Ali

Hi Summer - Sure, I would love to hear more.  :)

Ali

Decided to make this bread today to have with the soup.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/onion-garlic-cheese-bread/

Garlic Onion Cheese Bread sounds a-MAZ-ing.

For lunch, am sauteing onion, red pepper, carrot, garlic, and zucchini, and then adding some black beans and simmering with spices.  Will serve with brown rice and cheese.  I'm making enough so that I can take it with me to work for the next day or so.  Yum!

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ali

I'm feeling kind of bloggy, so I documented the making of our beans and rice lunch with my favorite sous chef.  I think he could grow up to be a chef of some sort because he LOVES helping us shop and cook.  Excuse the crappy cell phone pictures.  Husband got a fancy new camera and I have no idea how to use it.

From humble beginnings:

Boiling the brown rice:

We've got the carrot, zuc, and red pepper chopped.  It remains to be seen if there will be anything left to cook by the time sous chef gets done "sampling" it:

Sauteing the onions in butter.  If there is anything better than onions sauteed in butter, I don't want to know about it:

Veggies added to the pan:

Black beans added:

Finished product:

NOMS!!!

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ali on January 22, 2012, 09:49:17 PM
I'm feeling kind of bloggy, so I documented the making of our beans and rice lunch with my favorite sous chef.  I think he could grow up to be a chef of some sort because he LOVES helping us shop and cook.  Excuse the crappy cell phone pictures.  Husband got a fancy new camera and I have no idea how to use it.

From humble beginnings:

Blog worth it for this picture alone.  Cute!
Sandy

Asmodean

The Asmo's recipie for long life and glowing good health:

Junk food, smoking, more junkfood, more smokes, little physical activity, more smokes.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 22, 2012, 11:24:25 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 22, 2012, 09:49:17 PM
I'm feeling kind of bloggy, so I documented the making of our beans and rice lunch with my favorite sous chef.  I think he could grow up to be a chef of some sort because he LOVES helping us shop and cook.  Excuse the crappy cell phone pictures.  Husband got a fancy new camera and I have no idea how to use it.

From humble beginnings:

Blog worth it for this picture alone.  Cute!
Definitely got his mummy's eyes.

Is it rice or noodles?

Ali

Rice, though I bet it would be good with noodles too.

He does have my eyes.  Melts my heart with them too.   :)

Asmo - Your way sounds fun.  I gave up smoking about 8 years ago and I still dream about it some times.  How sad is that?  Alas, the old gray mare ain't what she used to be - I can't afford to eat junk food and sit anymore. 

Traveler

Sigh. I keep saying I'm going to eat healthier and today I scarfed down a ton of potato chips. Sigh. Oh well, tomorrow's another day, right?
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Asmodean on January 23, 2012, 07:53:19 AM
The Asmo's recipie for long life and glowing good health:

Junk food, smoking, more junkfood, more smokes, little physical activity, more smokes.

No barbeque'd babies?  And nice . . . hat?
Sandy