News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

National Atheist Party invites Westboro Church to Reason Rally

Started by m.condon, March 07, 2012, 02:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truthseeker

Quote from: Firebird on March 10, 2012, 06:11:44 PM
Funny little fact: Fred Phelps was a highly-sought civil rights lawyer in Kansas in the 60's. Many of his clients were African-Americans whom he defended against racist Jim Crow laws. And he once sued President Reagan over his appointment of an ambassador to the Vatican, claiming it violated the separation of church and state. How he became a homophobic, hate-spewing preacher is beyond me.

Another funny little fact:  Fred Phelps is an ass.
Suffering is the breaking of the shell that encloses one's understanding.  Khalil Gibran

Guardian85

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: Truthseeker on March 10, 2012, 06:29:13 PM
Funny little fact: Fred Phelps was a highly-sought civil rights lawyer in Kansas in the 60's. Many of his clients were African-Americans whom he defended against racist Jim Crow laws. And he once sued President Reagan over his appointment of an ambassador to the Vatican, claiming it violated the separation of church and state. How he became a homophobic, hate-spewing preacher is beyond me.

Another funny little fact:  Fred Phelps is an ass.

Sometimes I wonder if seƱor phelpso is actually gay himself and has just gone too far trying to cover it up? Hmmmmmm.....
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Truthseeker

Suffering is the breaking of the shell that encloses one's understanding.  Khalil Gibran

Ecurb Noselrub

How he became a homophobic, hate-spewing preacher is beyond me.

My suspicion is that he spent too much time reading the Old Testament. Or, as someone else has suggested, perhaps he has underlying homosexual tendencies, and thinks the only way to overcome them is to go overboard the other way.  Maybe he's trying to fake God out.

Whitney

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on March 11, 2012, 08:39:39 PM
How he became a homophobic, hate-spewing preacher is beyond me.

My suspicion is that he spent too much time reading the Old Testament. Or, as someone else has suggested, perhaps he has underlying homosexual tendencies, and thinks the only way to overcome them is to go overboard the other way.  Maybe he's trying to fake God out.

Or he's just a crazy hateful old man who found a kindred spirit in the mean parts of the OT...sometimes there isn't a reason to point to for why someone is a jerk.

Sandra Craft

Maybe he fell on his head -- head injuries have been known to cause drastic personality changes.  Or maybe he was always a homophobic, hate-spewing jerk and finally decided not to censor himself. 
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Traveler

Say, is anyone planning to go? Assuming the weather is vaguely ok I'm planning to ride the metro in. If anyone plans to be there, perhaps we can meet up? I know a few folks from wwgha are going too.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Firebird

I wish I could, but please do let us know how it goes. Maybe another year we will.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"