News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

U.K. extradites citizen for U.S. internet crime.

Started by ThinkAnarchy, March 16, 2012, 01:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThinkAnarchy

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/15/tagblogsfindlawcom2012-blotter-idUS268606624020120315

QuoteThe treaty defines the terms under which individuals will be extradited between the two countries. Both countries must provide evidence that the individual has committed a crime. The U.S. must meet the standard of "reasonable suspicion," whereas the U.K. must prove "probable cause." There is "no practical difference" between these standards, according to a bilateral legal panel.

When did the U.S. government gain complete control over the internet? And why is G.B. extraditing it's own citizens to the U.S. for trial in this regard? If G.B. viewed this as illegal, they can try the individual themselves. If we are to have countries, should they not protect their citizens against tyrants and their foreign laws? It's not as if he murdered an American... I see no cause for extradition. Granted, it appears this is illegal in the U.K. as well, but why is he not being tried there?

The individual, based on the reports I've read, did nothing more than run a pirate download site. I'm unsure of how extraditing an individual from another nation (non U.S. citizen) for creating a web site in his home country is justified and legal. If the U.K. has a problem with it, they should prosecute the case. My guess is the U.K. doesn't give a shit about pirate sites. 

Should America and the U.K. hand over our gay citizens to Muslim extremists? There laws deem homosexuality illegal. Only if we have a treaty with their nations of course... A treaty between nations justifies anything... I suppose...

I'm annoyed, so I rambled and have not proof read. Thoughts on the article, or commentary? Granted, I don't think anyone should be imprisoned for the content of their website.

"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Ecurb Noselrub

All criminals everywhere should be extradited to the United States for their trials. The lawyers here need the money.  You send them here and pay for the lawyers, then after they are convicted, we send them back to you to carry out the punishment.  We have lots of lawyers and they all need clients.

Firebird

Yeah, this does bother me on many levels. Part of the problem, as I see it, is that the technology has leaped so far ahead of the legal system that everyone's just making up the rules as they go along. And it's all so interconnected. Maybe you connected to a website in the UK, but you stored your pirated files on a site whose servers/storage was technically in the US, going across internet links through several different countries. Whose jurisdiction is it, ultimately?
At one of my previous companies, we built an entire datacenter in Canada because clients wanted to store their data outside of the US and avoid possible seizure due to the Patriot Act.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Ali

I don't even understand this.  Why would he not be tried in the UK if it is against the law in the UK?  If it's not against the law in the UK, why would he be tried at all?  This makes no sense.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Ali on March 16, 2012, 05:03:07 PM
I don't even understand this.  Why would he not be tried in the UK if it is against the law in the UK?  If it's not against the law in the UK, why would he be tried at all?  This makes no sense.

I was confused by that as well. I assumed that there is a law on the books that protects IP, and the U.S. government might have argued that IP law extends to pirate sites. That is the best i can think of though. From most of the articles I've read on the story, they claim his actions were not illegal in the U.K which as you say, shouldn't fit into the extradition treaty.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

DeterminedJuliet

The only way that would make any sense to me at all is if the person was a US citizen. It didn't say explicitly, was that the case?
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Crow

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on March 16, 2012, 06:12:03 PM

I was confused by that as well. I assumed that there is a law on the books that protects IP, and the U.S. government might have argued that IP law extends to pirate sites. That is the best i can think of though. From most of the articles I've read on the story, they claim his actions were not illegal in the U.K which as you say, shouldn't fit into the extradition treaty.

Yeah you're correct, it isn't illegal in the UK. It use to be but the law on this issue recently changed. I have absolutely no idea why he was extradited especially after how much the British government tried to prevent the extradition (I lost track of the case so don't know if he was or wasn't extradited) of the British hacker who hacked into some high security US government website.
Retired member.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Crow on March 16, 2012, 09:17:37 PM
Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on March 16, 2012, 06:12:03 PM
I don't even understand this.  Why would he not be tried in the UK if it is against the law in the UK?  If it's not against the law in the UK, why would he be tried at all?  This makes no sense.

Yeah you're correct, it isn't illegal in the UK. It use to be but the law on this issue recently changed. I have absolutely no idea why he was extradited especially after how much the British government tried to prevent the extradition (I lost track of the case so don't know if he was or wasn't extradited) of the British hacker who hacked into some high security US government website.

Supposedly Tony Blair signed a treaty with G.W. Bush stating British citizens will be extradited to the U.S. for U.S. crimes, regardless of what the U.K. considers illegal. England wanted continued U.S. support and money, and now the citizens are having to deal with such a treaty. This is why I don't understand the want for government. They contractually agreed you as English citizens have to follow U.S. laws as well, at least when you're actions help us terrible Americans circumvent our own B.S. laws.

Reprobate

I agree that this seems asanine. Why would the UK send a suspected criminal to the US for trial? Unless of course they want him to spend time in a US prison and learn to be a proper criminal. The US must have the world's highest recidivism rate and most of the convicts who commit crimes after their release move on to more serious offensed.

Siz

I recall from a news report last week that the agreement between the UK and US is decidedly one-sided. To invoke extradition to the UK requires 'proof'. To invoke extradition to the US requires only 'reasonable suspicion' (whatever that means). I'm not sure about this 'special relationship'. I feel like I'll have my icecream taken away if I'm naughty.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Scissorlegs on March 17, 2012, 02:17:12 AM
I recall from a news report last week that the agreement between the UK and US is decidedly one-sided. To invoke extradition to the UK requires 'proof'. To invoke extradition to the US requires only 'reasonable suspicion' (whatever that means). I'm not sure about this 'special relationship'. I feel like I'll have my icecream taken away if I'm naughty.

You could have more than ice cream taken away. The U.S. government has and will continue to assassinate foreign and domestic individuals. At least until it's inevitable collapse.