Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on July 01, 2018, 07:15:40 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on July 01, 2018, 06:36:20 AM
Very nice. I like the strong colours I always try to get in my photos.

You'll remember from analogue film days that Fuji Velvia was a very saturated film. When Fuji started making digital cameras they gave them modes that mimicked their film stocks hence 'Velvia' mode :)

I remember it well. I see there is a Lightroom Velvia filter - perhaps I should play with it. I was a devout Tri-X user and often pushed it to ISO 400, 800, or even 1600 in the darkroom.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Recusant on July 01, 2018, 01:39:17 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 01, 2018, 10:18:20 AM

Those look like black oystercatchers, but I didn't know they could be found in Oz.

I think they're known as sooty oyster catchers here.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

jumbojak

These were the only two decent photos out of 139 shots...

I think this one would've been much better had I been a little better prepared and if the duck standing on the sign had turned just a little bit one way or the other. Preferably to the left.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on July 02, 2018, 02:44:52 AM

Don't be surprised by that statistic. I hate most of the photos I take and consider myself lucky to get one good one out of every 100 - but then I'm an amateur, not a professional.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 02, 2018, 04:32:59 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on July 02, 2018, 02:44:52 AM

Don't be surprised by that statistic. I hate most of the photos I take and consider myself lucky to get one good one out of every 100 - but then I'm an amateur, not a professional.

I'm not surprised but I am something of a perfectionist. So long as I improve I'll be happy though.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

A low 'pass rate' is not uncommon among photographers. It's the best thing about digital photography. It keeps the operational costs down. I used to spend a load of money of film and developing in the days of analogue. With digital it costs nothing but time and effort to learn. Which is a grate improvement.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Only one came through today. I was trying to get a clear shot of a pair of circling gulls but my fingers weren't fast enough to get them in focus. The ospreys will be leaving in about a week.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on July 05, 2018, 02:08:57 AM

Only one came through today. I was trying to get a clear shot of a pair of circling gulls but my fingers weren't fast enough to get them in focus. The ospreys will be leaving in about a week.

I like that. It has a very classic pyramid composition. Did you crop it?
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

I did. There was a lot of sky left above so I shortened it by quite a bit.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on July 05, 2018, 09:47:49 AM
I did. There was a lot of sky left above so I shortened it by quite a bit.

I am very rarely happy with a photo straight out of the camera and usually end up cropping it. At those times I appreciate the 24.3 megapixel resolution of my D600.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

I made some adjustments to the colors. I tried to get a bit of the glare off of the eyes but didn't have any luck.

xSilverPhinx

^ It looks like the dragonfly is rolling its eyes. :P

(Oh dear, I'm seeing potential emoji symbols where there are none.)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Question, would it be worth it to "buy" the last full version of Lightroom even though Adobe won't be adding features to their standalone software? I don't have reliable Internet access with my laptop and I'm not sure how their subscription based version works.