News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

London questions

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, September 05, 2019, 09:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

My wife and I are planning on visiting London and Paris next summer.  In London, we are thinking about staying in the Soho-Covent Garden area.  Any suggestions on hotels, restaurants, pubs, things to see in that area?  I like to get out and walk and explore. Thanks.

No one

jumbojak

Is that all of them, or just the Americans?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 05, 2019, 09:06:33 PM
My wife and I are planning on visiting London and Paris next summer.  In London, we are thinking about staying in the Soho-Covent Garden area.  Any suggestions on hotels, restaurants, pubs, things to see in that area?  I like to get out and walk and explore. Thanks.

I'd go for a chain hotel if I could afford it. Or an independent if it has good reviews on Tripadvisor. Trouble is that the people who live in London won't use the hotels to know what's good and what should be avoided. Buddy is going sometime in October  so she may be able to help.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on September 09, 2019, 01:01:28 PM

I'd go for a chain hotel if I could afford it. Or an independent if it has good reviews on Tripadvisor. Trouble is that the people who live in London won't use the hotels to know what's good and what should be avoided. Buddy is going sometime in October  so she may be able to help.

I'm going to Oslo with a trip down to Oxford and possibly Leeds so I probably won't me much help there, but AirBnB has been a good option when I was looking.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

hermes2015

That's true. I had a flat in Kensington for 3 years and visitors were always asking me to recommend hotels, but I had no idea which ones were good. These days I would recommend looking at TripAdvisor, because there are some useful filters and reviews.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Ecurb Noselrub

Looking at one called the Nadler Soho that has good reviews on Trip Advisor.  I like the location.

hermes2015

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 09, 2019, 04:59:33 PM
Looking at one called the Nadler Soho that has good reviews on Trip Advisor.  I like the location.

Soho is an excellent location; so many places worth seeing are within walking distance.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on September 09, 2019, 02:53:55 PM

I'm going to Oslo with a trip down to Oxford and possibly Leeds so I probably won't me much help there, but AirBnB has been a good option when I was looking.

Leeds!  :frolic: :frolic:
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 09, 2019, 04:59:33 PM

That area of London is wonderful. Be aware that it's active 24/7 so if you can't sleep with background noise make sure the place you are staying doesn't have noise issues.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on September 09, 2019, 08:25:51 PM

Leeds!  :frolic: :frolic:

I had such a great time last time so I have to do a second trip.  ;D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Buddy

Hijacking this thread. How long is a trip from London to leeds by train?

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Buddy on September 11, 2019, 03:36:51 PM
Hijacking this thread. How long is a trip from London to leeds by train?

I'm looking and there are times from 2 hrs 14 min to 2 hrs 58 min.

Buddy

That's not too bad. I'm thinking of taking the train instead of a connecting flight because that was a disaster last time.

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on September 11, 2019, 05:50:50 PM
That's not too bad. I'm thinking of taking the train instead of a connecting flight because that was a disaster last time.

Book ahead as tickets on the day are ridiculously expensive.