News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

No one

Started by xSilverPhinx, October 07, 2019, 01:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Apparently, the Latin word for 'no one' is nemo  (which gives a whole new meaning to 'Finding Nemo', heh).   

Just thought I'd throw in that bit of trivia.  :P

~Argentum.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

I'm starting to read some in Portugese.  Are Rs pronounced like Ds?  Are RRs pronounced like H?  Any other tricks?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 07, 2019, 04:58:09 PM
I'm starting to read some in Portugese.  Are Rs pronounced like Ds?  Are RRs pronounced like H?  Any other tricks?

Cool! 8)

:notsure: I can't think of any case in which R is pronounced like a D. Do you have an example you're not sure about? If so, you can look up a word in a pronunciation dictionary, such as https://forvo.com/.

As for RR, depends on the word and the accent.  ;) Some pronounce it with a rolling R, others as H.

No one

Dreamt is the only word in the English language that ends with "mt."

Icarus

Dreamt is a word used by Brits and Aussies.  Americans are much more likely to use the term Dreamed.    Other Brit usages are seen in words like Learnt, or some other past activity.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on October 07, 2019, 11:04:02 PM
Dreamt is a word used by Brits and Aussies.  Americans are much more likely to use the term Dreamed.    Other Brit usages are seen in words like Learnt, or some other past activity.

I learnt it as 'dreamt' and not 'dreamed', but even so I think my English is a mixed mess between American and British usage.  :P

Oh well, what's important is being understood by all, is it not? :lol:

hermes2015

I was taught dreamt as well.

How many English words have the combination md in them?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames