News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 04, 2019, 01:06:21 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 03, 2019, 11:33:34 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 30, 2019, 05:41:39 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 30, 2019, 03:57:23 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 30, 2019, 06:28:06 AM
Quote from: Buddy on January 30, 2019, 02:42:36 AM
This is a little thing to be cheerful about, but my boss said I could get a fish for my office.

Which probably means you're not going to get the sack :)

Indeed! Florida bank person holds no sway!  ;D

And my new dishwasher is hooked up and works.  :yes!:

That's no way to refer to your wife!  >:(

:o

Oh, but she is! :nods: And I'm the dryer, if the machine is broken.

It was ever thus.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

I'm juggling five tasks on my ever-expanding to-do list while managing to be on social media and listen to a podcast, and I'm being effective at at least four of those things. Multitasking. Fucking. King.  ;D

...It will pass. :(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

jumbojak

I'm moving to the four night a week class starting next Monday.  :)

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dark Lightning

I'm carving a clam shell out of red oak (because I'm cheap and don't want to use black walnut on the first try). I was pulling the draw knife with my finger tips and thinking, "I'd better stop and move my hands". When I was at, "I'd better stop", the knife slipped and I lacerated my thumb. Since I had the thought soon enough, it was only a scratch (not really- that draw knife is razor-sharp!) and hardly bled at all. That part is true, and I'm cheerful about it! Carving tools have to be kept as sharp as possible in order to reduce the effort required. As the effort increases, the likelihood of getting hurt goes way up! Seems counter intuitive, but believe me, I've lived it.

jumbojak

I'm glad you didn't cut yourself too badly. Properly sharp tools make things much safer indeed. Even when you do slip and cut yourself a clean cut seems to heal more quickly than a jagged cut.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 12, 2019, 02:56:28 AM
I'm carving a clam shell out of red oak (because I'm cheap and don't want to use black walnut on the first try). I was pulling the draw knife with my finger tips and thinking, "I'd better stop and move my hands". When I was at, "I'd better stop", the knife slipped and I lacerated my thumb. Since I had the thought soon enough, it was only a scratch (not really- that draw knife is razor-sharp!) and hardly bled at all. That part is true, and I'm cheerful about it! Carving tools have to be kept as sharp as possible in order to reduce the effort required. As the effort increases, the likelihood of getting hurt goes way up! Seems counter intuitive, but believe me, I've lived it.

A close shave! If you are willing to show us, some work in progress photos would be interesting.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Sure! I'll get a pic and post it in the "Miscellaneous" thread.

Essie Mae

My 4 and 3/4 yrs Ozzie granddaughter received a certificate today for being the pupil who has settled best into pre primary, being kind and helpful. She was very timid in kindergarten, so seeing her gaining confidence and making friends is a great relief. I must say I feel slightly ambivalent; is it not about control, encouraging children to attain the goal of pleasing the teacher with their behaviour rather than assessing their own progress for themselves. Children will soak up any amount of praise whether deserved or not, but I'd rather get them to be more introspective and to show them that "Look what you can do/know now that you didn't back then".  Am I being a misery; should I put this in a different thread?
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Icarus

Essie, the best of grannies do agonize over such things.  Try not to lose any sleep about things that you can not control. That is not to suggest that you should be  less interested in the welfare and development of your cherished grand daughter.

jumbojak

I don't know how it happened but I have a really good credit score, especially for someone who has never really bought anything.

xSilverPhinx

:notsure: Well, you know what they say, there's a little of you in everything you do. Blood, sweat and tears.

Are there special gloves you can wear?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on February 16, 2019, 12:26:40 PM
I don't know how it happened but I have a really good credit score, especially for someone who has never really bought anything.
That's probably why you have a good credit score!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on February 16, 2019, 02:24:48 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on February 16, 2019, 12:26:40 PM
That's probably why you have a good credit score!

Three years ago I had no credit. The guy at a car dealership ran it and it said it's not bad.... There's just nothing there!

Dark Lightning

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 16, 2019, 01:08:47 PM

:notsure: Well, you know what they say, there's a little of you in everything you do. Blood, sweat and tears.

Yes, I have one Kevlar glove. I can't use that tool with gloves on, though. It's one with two handles. I just have these big mitts. I guess I could put bigger handles on it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 16, 2019, 03:38:56 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 16, 2019, 01:08:47 PM

Yes, I have one Kevlar glove. I can't use that tool with gloves on, though. It's one with two handles. I just have these big mitts. I guess I could put bigger handles on it.

Have you tried this type?

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames