News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Drafts

Started by Dave, June 30, 2016, 11:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Is there an "auto draft" function in this forum system?

I spent half an hour carefully crafting a post, with links, on my tablet and - on returning to the HAF tab managed to hit
the X and wipe it all out!  :-[

Hoped there was some sort of draft buffer but can't find one.

I normally do such in a word processor, teach me to be lazy!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

I'm inclined to doubt the existence of a draft buffer.
When you submit a post and it goes askew hitting the back button often retrieves your brilliance.
On Star Trek they brought a few characters back using the transporter buffer, they had benevolent science/engineer types though.  We have Asmo.

When you type I don't think the site knows what you're typing until you hit post, it'd be really creepy if it was otherwise.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Recusant

Bad Penny II is correct, as far as I know. I am unaware of any native draft buffer on HAF; very sorry. Your post may not be entirely lost, though.

Depending on which browser you use, the post might be in your browser history. I'm assuming by "hit the X" you mean you closed the tab with HAF and your post in it. You might have even closed the browser. That's happened to me on occasion.

In Firefox, use the Firefox menu >> History, and try "Restore Closed Tab" or "Restore Closed Session." This will bring up the "lost" post, though I don't know how long Firefox holds this information. Closed tabs or browser sessions can also be retrieved in Chrome through History. Those are the two browsers that I use, so I can't offer reliable information on any others.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Nope, seems all is lorst and gawn. I can find the searches I made from my drafting for links and the bisits to HAF before and after the lorst one, but not the one itself.  :-\

Had hoped there was a function, like in Virgin/GMail, where your draft is automatically stored and can be retrieved until the email is actually sent.

Thanks for trying, chaps.

Tank

Quote from: Gloucester on June 30, 2016, 11:23:04 AM

I spent half an hour carefully crafting a post, with links, on my tablet and - on returning to the HAF tab managed to hit

Never heard of an auto draft feature on a forum. In the past if such a thing happened to me I'd just hit back on the browser. Presumably that wasn't an option?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on June 30, 2016, 06:29:09 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on June 30, 2016, 11:23:04 AM

Never heard of an auto draft feature on a forum. In the past if such a thing happened to me I'd just hit back on the browser. Presumably that wasn't an option?
Seems that once a tab is closed, it is closed. No "back" for something no longer there and History took me back to the original opening of the HAF blank page. That which I had put on the page was, as said, lorst and gawn.  That is why I normally compose long or complex posts in a wordproc that auto saves as you type. That way even in a disaster most of it is recoverable. Then I copy and paste into the forum box when ready.

Was in a hurry this a.m., will, one day, learn that hurrying can have its price!

Dave

Just remembered, on phpBb forum system the options you have are "Save draft" "Preview" and "Submit". Thus, if you remember to tap the first every few lines you preserve some of your work in the event of fumbling your fingers.