News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Re: Today in History

Started by Icarus, December 14, 2014, 06:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on August 08, 2017, 02:14:42 AM
Quote from: Icarus on August 08, 2017, 12:53:17 AM
Here is a paste up of something that Bruno wrote in a nearby thread....................

Let's face it human kind is garbage...don't know if we've always's have been this way, maybe back in the beginning we were decent to each other, possibly too busy trying to stay alive to fuck with each other too much, but I don't have much faith in our chances of surviving very long as a species.

We've learned nothing from the past, and are doomed sooner or later to repeat it. The massive loss of life during the last world war, not to mention the global genocide that took place after for years and years has done nothing to raise our collective consciousness at all.

I can still remember my Father, who was a veteran of WWII telling me this very thing, that hundreds of millions who died during WWII will mean nothing to later generations, especially now that we have the bomb (Advanced Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Warfare)

Prominent scientist like Fenner and Hawkings give us less than 100 more years before we go extinct, whether from climate damage, or nuclear war. Hawking's when asked which human shortcoming would you most like to alter responded, "The human failing I would most like to correct is aggression. It may have had survival advantage in caveman days, to get more food, territory or partner with whom to reproduce, but now it threatens to destroy us all,"

Of course a major nuclear war will likely end civilization, which is what I predict and it will probably wipe out the human race.

Hawking when asked which human quality he would most like to magnify he chose empathy, because "it brings us together in a peaceful, loving state."

I don't see us doing that, so we are doomed I think, it's sad, but there's really nothing any of us can do about it, not when the governments and politicians control the nuclear weapons, and we keep making and developing more. Can we trust people like Trump, Kim Jung-Un or some crazy religious group not to start a nuclear war (Crazy religious group could be ISIS or some similar band of Islamic terrorist or simply the Republican Party)?

I personally give us about one percent chance to survive, one fucking percent...might be the best thing anyway, I mean if there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe that is thriving and living peacefully do we really want to chance letting ourselves loose on the rest of the universe?

We kill, we destroy, we devastate with hardly a conscience at all, it's easy really. If it wasn't we wouldn't have wars so often, we wouldn't waste lives with such impunity, without any fear of consequences whatsoever.

You point a gun and shoot, you throw a grenade and watch it tear peoples limbs and bodies apart and so you rationalize better them than me, they deserve it, they are the enemy and deserve death. You have to rationalize it this way you know, there is no other way to be utterly brutal, to be a down and nasty killing machine...once you do this than there are no consequences at all, whether you are on the battlefield or not, whether you are the politician issuing the orders or the soldier pulling the trigger, or the silo commander releasing the bombs.

As long as we hold that to be true, that some of us deserve death, that killing can be rewarding there is nothing at all to hope for us as a species.

We've embrace this culture of death, we actually enshrine it, and award it as a virtue...when it's actually the least noblest of anything we've ever done, because we're killers, the real Shiva incarnate; except it's not one individual man who has become the destroyer like Oppenheimer said, it's all of us.

Peace-

Bruno wrote this?
This Bruno?

Yeah I wrote that...it was in a thread of JJ's from this same section of the forum. After I wrote and posted that I remember almost going back and deleting it, as it definitely derailed the thread...at the time I was feeling somewhat depressed and something I read in JJ's thread spurred me to let loose with the above.

I still feel the same and hold onto the same opinion that we humans are shite, and don't feel very optimistic at all that we'll survive ourselves.

This picture is probably familiar to most people, but if not it is all that remains of a person who was once sitting calmly on the steps of a bank in the city of Hiroshima on August 6th 1945.

You can see from the outline that whomever it was they were holding a cane, so most likely an elderly person. One moment they were sitting calmly on the steps of the bank which was located about 800 feet from the epicenter when the bomb went off leaving this shadow imprinted into the stone.

It's not really their shadow, but actually a carbon imprint of their body seared into the concrete, organic residue and carbonized flesh is now part of the sidewalk.

After time and in an effort to save the image the steps were relocated to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum, where they're now preserved.

This will be humanities shared fate I believe. Nothing will remain of our global civilization but the collective, seared, shadowy remains like a giant mural upon the face of the earth, one large ghastly display of our combined wretchedness.

Don't believe me? Think I'm being overly pessimistic, or too dramatical?

It say's it all right here in "1 Caucasian
(I wrote Caucasian and not Corinthians on purpose, this is not a typo...)

According to Texas megachurch pastor Robert Jeffress, "God has given Trump authority to take out Kim Jong Un". When it comes to how we should deal with evildoers, the Bible, in the book of Romans, is very clear: God has endowed rulers full power to use whatever means necessary — including war — to stop evil," Jeffress said.

That's it right there,... it won't be Islamic terrorists that destroy us, it will Christians like this evangelical who will twist and manipulate Trump to do something idiotic.
Yes it will be Christians who destroy the earth and all humanity with it...bible hugging, Kim Davis types who destroy us all with their stupid belief.

Let us face it, Trump is not now nor has he never been a Christian, in fact if he was just a common man and not the President most of the evangelicals like Pastor Jeffress would condemn Trump to hell for his life of evil ways.

But Trump is the type of person, a man who cares nothing at all about anyone but himself who will allow himself to be led into believing he is in fact god anointed by those like this Pastor Jeffress. Men and women who pretend to believe in a god and the truth, but who really only care that their so called righteous and twisted moral deviance be taken seriously.

So here we stand today, with Trump and Kim Jong Un trading barbs back and forth, each of these god-like little men posturing to get an edge...today with words, tomorrow with guns, and the next day with...god help us?

I sadly feel we will be at war soon, but not only with N. Korea. China will become involved, as will Russia...most likely the entire Korean Peninsula will be ravaged, our only hope is that those closest to these two leaders will be able to do something to prevent the use of nuclear weapons.

I would like to visit the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum, maybe one day I can do so with my grandchildren,.. maybe.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Quote from: Father Bruno on August 09, 2017, 06:47:24 PM
This picture is probably familiar to most people, but if not it is all that remains of a person who was once sitting calmly on the steps of a bank in the city of Hiroshima on August 6th 1945.

You can see from the outline that whomever it was they were holding a cane, so most likely an elderly person. One moment they were sitting calmly on the steps of the bank which was located about 800 feet from the epicenter when the bomb went off leaving this shadow imprinted into the stone.

It's not really their shadow, but actually a carbon imprint of their body seared into the concrete, organic residue and carbonized flesh is now part of the sidewalk.
Wow, this is sad, it made me want to cry.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on August 09, 2017, 07:19:15 PM

Well you know he was probably killed instantly and probably had no idea what was going on at the time. So at least he didn't die suffering.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Arturo on August 09, 2017, 07:39:58 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on August 09, 2017, 07:19:15 PM

Well you know he was probably killed instantly and probably had no idea what was going on at the time. So at least he didn't die suffering.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Icarus

Here is a couple more historical bits that you do not really need to know. Fun just the same.......

October has some significant customs and anniversaries. Not just Halloween.  October 19 is this years celebration of Diwali. That is the darkest night of the year supposedly. It is an important Hindu celebration day. It is called Festival of lights and observed by people in Fuji, Guyana, India, Maylasia, Myanmar, Nepal, Singapore, and a few other places.  There are only a few Hindu HAF members so .....fugettaboutit.  It is an interesting custom that you can learn about on Wikipedia. It is n important event to the people who ascribe to the notion.

The biggie is October 31.  That will be the 500th anniversary of the presentation of the 95 theses of Martin Luther.  Significantly, that marks the beginning of the Reformation. Among the more interesting of the theses is  that one no longer needs to buy "indulgences" from clergymen.  Indulgences were a method gimmick reputed to mitigate the punishment for our mortal sins in the afterlife....or a sneaky way for the priests and bishops to accumulate wealth.

The 31st will be an important date for protestants and a not so pleasing historical date for Sister Agatha.

xSilverPhinx

^ An important date for sure, with far-reaching consequences.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

In October 1954, Texas Instruments unveiled the Regency TR1, the first commercially produced transistor radio. Just think about that for a moment. Contrast that 63 year old achievement with the spectacular communication instruments that we have today.  I- phones with Siri, that you can talk to, Satnav, self driving cars are almost here, intelligent robots, GPS in phones and cars, Hand held calculators that deliver the logarithmic tables, the trigonometric tables, calculate roots, powers, and Euler tables all for ten dollars.  ...the lord be praised, we have the internet and forums like HAF and a lot more wonders. Halla-fuckin-luya.

Damn, I was 24  years old when the first transistor radio was offered.  When I was a kid I built radio receivers from galena crystals and wires wound around tubular oatmeal boxes. (crystal sets) I even built primitive radios with vacuum tubes and dry cell batteries that could be carried on my bicycle. Now I have a portable radio whose brand is Sangean. It is one helluva spectacular piece of work. It can clearly pick up stations a thousand miles away and continue to do so for 70 hours on one set of  ordinary flashlight batteries...or even better Lithium Ion batteries.

Young people can probably not even imagine a time when Fitbits and wrist radios were the stuff of comic strips like Dick Tracy.  Damn.... I have a little thingy (20 dollars from Amazon or E bay) that clamps on my finger and digitally delivers my pulse rate and my blood oxygen content on a cute little screen that also has a moving graphic display that shows my heart rhythmns.( help please, spelling rith-ems?)

Dave

I was 10 in 1954 but can remember that first radio featuring at the Earl's Court Radio Exhibition (Earl's Court was the prime London venue for new design exhibitions which were incredibly popular).

Soon I was building amplifiers for my crystal set with "Red spot" transistors, there were only three types available, red, white and green spot. At 12 I built a transistor tester from a kit (with a soldering iron that had to be heated in a gas flame!).

Yes, now we have more computing power in sewing mschines than in the first Shuttle! Just differently organised.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on October 19, 2017, 02:45:14 AM
... When I was a kid I built radio receivers from galena crystals and wires wound around tubular oatmeal boxes. (crystal sets) I even built primitive radios with vacuum tubes and dry cell batteries that could be carried on my bicycle.

That brought back some memories. I did exactly the same things when I was 9 years old!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Disgruntled citizens are not just recently taking to the extremes.

In 1605 the "Gunpowder Plot" failed as Guy Fawkes was seized before he could blow up the English Parliament. 

I wonder if the Fawkes plot had any connection to the King James committee who was, at that time, busily inventing the new bible now known as he KJV.  There may have been some bad blood between the James contingent and the most recently renounced book used by the catholic adherents. Perhaps OG, Dave, Tank, or Essie may have some more informed comments about that period in English history.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on November 06, 2017, 12:39:53 AM
Disgruntled citizens are not just recently taking to the extremes.

In 1605 the "Gunpowder Plot" failed as Guy Fawkes was seized before he could blow up the English Parliament. 

I wonder if the Fawkes plot had any connection to the King James committee who was, at that time, busily inventing the new bible now known as he KJV.  There may have been some bad blood between the James contingent and the most recently renounced book used by the catholic adherents. Perhaps OG, Dave, Tank, or Essie may have some more informed comments about that period in English history.

Y'know, never really thought much about it, just wished a more successful attempt could be made in the last few governments! At the blowing up bit, not for the original reason.

It seems that it was simply a Popish Plot, to install the 9 year old Princess Elizabeth, James' daughter, as a Catholic Cwēn (using the Anglo-Saxon spelling just to get another aliteration.)

Another case of religious violence.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

In 1854 Pope Pius IX proclaimed the Catholic dogma of the Immaculate Conception which holds that Mary, the mother of Jesus, was free from original sin from the moment of her conception.

Mary had to be free of original sin so that Jesus could not inherit a sinful gene, I reckon.  Papal logic?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on December 08, 2017, 10:23:46 PM
In 1854 Pope Pius IX proclaimed the Catholic dogma of the Immaculate Conception which holds that Mary, the mother of Jesus, was free from original sin from the moment of her conception.

Mary had to be free of original sin so that Jesus could not inherit a sinful gene, I reckon.  Papal logic?

How is Jesus a man then? Where the hell does his Y chromosome come from? If Mary somehow cloned herself, Jesus would be a woman. 

Icarus

All I am doing is repeating some historical pablum.  The dead Pope is not going to defend his position.

xSilverPhinx