News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Started by Raggy, November 02, 2007, 08:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Joy

'Goodbye Lenin' was a comedy? :shock: I quite like the idea of that film, to be honest. I think it could have been done better, though. I think the funniest film I've ever seen was probably American Psycho. The "Hey Paul!" scene was utterly classic, and it's full of really dark humour; which is unusual for something out of the States.

I love black comedy. The German's seem to produce some of the best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdjt6Bl5qdY

If you haven't seen it, it takes a couple of minutes to get going but it's building up.

pjkeeley

Yes it's all in good fun. I don't hate the UK. You have good television on the whole, a good sense of humour, as well as all those quaint little villages and museums and such, great if you're into that sort of thing. I admit to being much more interested in your history that in my own country's, so it was fun.

Just a few things bugged me is all.  :evil:

Mister Joy

Don't remind me about the museums. Day long school trips to ancient Roman villas, WWII memorials and yadda yadda tends to leave its own mark. And to be fair, British history's only interesting because, like the rest of Europe, it's quite grewsome. It's all Catholics burning protestants alive & vice versa, torture, civil wars, death, plague, famine & psychotic (occasionally 100% run of the mill loony-toon) monarchs. Just look at what happened to George III. That's a sad story.

QuoteJust a few things bugged me is all.

Was it London you went to, out of interest?

Amor Fati

By far the best accent is the 'Angry Scot' from the PC game Worms.   BY FAR!  Other than that, have fun fighting.

Mister Joy

QuoteBy far the best accent is the 'Angry Scot' from the PC game Worms. BY FAR! Other than that, have fun fighting.

My fav. accent is Irish. Not posh Irish though. Had a radical feminist teacher once who had a posh Irish accent and it drove me mental listening to her trying to impose labels on us. "Are you sexist?" "No." "Then you're a feminist." No, I'm neither, now piss off you daft cow. She was one of these extremely middle class, outspoken & over the top liberals (the kind that go too far and take themselves so seriously that their 'liberalism' goes completely up its own arse if you know what I mean). She instantly hated anyone who happened to be white & male. I did an experiment with her; slipped in a reference to my being gay one lesson. Don't know if it was just coincidence but that day she went from utterly despising me to, get this, trying to make casual conversation about shoe shopping. That isn't one phrase, it's two whole words. Fucking shopping for fucking shoes! I really could have murdered her, given half the chance.

Anyway yeah. That's why no posh Irish accents (I think that's the way to describe them anyway). Plus there's Graham Norton. Other than that, the Irish accent is king as far as I'm concerned.

rlrose328

Quote from: "Tom62"Count me in as well as a Huge Grant hater. Every film he appeared in is a disaster. His movie "Four weddings and a funeral" is one of the most unfunniest films in movie history, even worse than the german comedy "Goodbye Lenin" that also received raving reviews abroad.

One of my favorite movies of all time is "Love Actually" (the only movie on my MP3 so far) with Hugh Grant, but it's a HUGE cast so the film doesn't ride on his shoulders.  I also liked "Two Weeks Notice".  But my favorite Hugh Grant film is "American Dreamz" ("dreamz with a 'z'").  If you haven't seen it, you must.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

donkeyhoty

Hugh Grant's not so bad... it's the fucking idiots that keep putting him in movies that need a beating.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

Mister Joy

Hahaha. Chris and Paul Weitz.

Grant's too typecast. Tell you what someone should do: cast him as a misogynistic psycho. He'd be so bizarrely out of place and contradictory to his usual role that it could be very creepy. I think he'd make a good slimy antagonist. People wouldn't expect that. Worked with Robin Williams, didn't it?

SteveS

Quote from: "donkeyhoty"Hugh Grant's not so bad... it's the fucking idiots that keep putting him in movies that need a beating.
:lol: !!

My favorite Hugh Grant movie is "Lair of the White Worm".  :P

rlrose328

Quote from: "Mister Joy"Grant's too typecast. Tell you what someone should do: cast him as a misogynistic psycho. He'd be so bizarrely out of place and contradictory to his usual role that it could be very creepy. I think he'd make a good slimy antagonist. People wouldn't expect that. Worked with Robin Williams, didn't it?

Have you seen "American Dreamz"?  He doesn't play to type in that one... he's not completely psychotic, but he isn't the leading man hero/love interest.  We love that movie because it seems to true... more true than not, we think.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Mister Joy

I should probably see that then. Though I'm not that into things like Pop Idol, American Idol or X Factor so I probably couldn't appreciate it for its realism.