News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

HAF Book Club: December Poll

Started by Sandra Craft, November 15, 2017, 12:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 05, 2017, 09:20:57 PM
I have yet to read one of Saramago's works (the shame!). I am told he is quite brilliant.

I would need a translated version though, European Portuguese is really weird! :grin:

Yes he is one of my favorite authors, and I agree quite brilliant. Of his work I've read the following (In English:):
The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis
Blindness
All the Names
The Cave
The Double
Seeing
Death with Interruptions
The Elephant's Journey

I highly recommend all of these...("Blindness" was awesome, and I loved "All the Names" and "Death with Interruptions" if I had to list my three favorites, but I truly enjoyed reading all of these)

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Velma on December 05, 2017, 08:41:38 PM
Quote from: Davin on December 05, 2017, 06:41:27 PM
Quote from: Father Bruno on December 05, 2017, 05:34:53 PM
Quote from: Davin on November 27, 2017, 02:07:53 PM
I ordered it, should arrive today. I'll be starting it on Wednesday.

So I ordered the book back on the 28th. An e-book for my Nook, however. Having issues getting it to downloaded. When my Nook attempts to download it alerts me that my email has changed, which is correct. When I go to update the email address it then tells me that email address is already registered, but it won't allow my to input that email address into the Nook, because the Nook say's it's not fucking registered.

Circle of hell.

Need to go to Barnes and Noble...online chat, and call in customer service were zero fucking help.

I may cancel the ebook and simply buy the paperback...
Could try a third email. But tech support should be able to fix that.

I bought the paperback because I like reading books more than screens. Don't know why, the Nook screens are easy on the eyes.
Wish I could help you with your download issue. When I changed my email, I didn't have any issues.

I bought the new Nook Glowlight 3 last month shortly after it came out. I'm loving it. It has the option to set the screen to a warmer color. I find myself preferring it to paper books for reading in bed.

It's weird because I've downloaded and read several books on it since I changed my account email, including 2 or 3 for the HAF bookclubs, so not sure what the issue is now.
Anyway I'm thinking of getting a new one, my is about 9 years old. One of the original versions, with the small color touch screen at the bottom.
I've loved it, and definitely gotten my money out of it, but it has some spots on the screen, and it's outdated, and I've been a good boy this year. ;D

Going to go to Barnes and Noble this weekend and check them out. 8)

It doesn't replace the feeling you get when reading an actual book, so I agree with Davin's statement. (Especially when reading an old book, what with the dry, crinkly pages, and the smell of the old paper, binding and ink. I think the smell of a used book store or small library is heavenly :))

However, it does reduce waste, and I don't have to shelve and store books anymore, though I still occasionally buy used books, and it's nice to just have the one source to grab and carry.

Davin

I am really thinking about grabbing a nook, and then only buying the physical books that I really like.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Davin on December 06, 2017, 03:53:01 PM
I am really thinking about grabbing a nook, and then only buying the physical books that I really like.

I've got a Nook which I bought for magazines and newspapers, so I didn't have to worry about recycling them, but I've also started buying cheap mysteries and horror books on it that I know I'd never keep anyway.  I also love that I can read in bed without an annoying book light, and I can change the font style and size, and background to something easier on my eyes.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 06, 2017, 11:52:59 PM

I've got a Nook which I bought for magazines and newspapers, so I didn't have to worry about recycling them, but I've also started buying cheap mysteries and horror books on it that I know I'd never keep anyway.  I also love that I can read in bed without an annoying book light, and I can change the font style and size, and background to something easier on my eyes.

I also like the bookmark and hi-light features of the Nook...make it easy to go back and find pertinent passages, or areas of particular interest.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on December 07, 2017, 01:54:48 PM

I also like the bookmark and hi-light features of the Nook...make it easy to go back and find pertinent passages, or areas of particular interest.

Well the guy at Barnes and Noble was extremely helpful and patient, and after numerous reconfigurations to factory settings and some changes to my web-site account we finally got the book to download to my Nook, and have been happily reading "The Gospel According to Jesus Christ"...enjoying it so far, but again I only just started.

Took us about 30-40 minutes to get it all straighten out!

Velma

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on December 13, 2017, 02:48:06 AM
Quote from: Papasito Bruno on December 07, 2017, 01:54:48 PM

Well the guy at Barnes and Noble was extremely helpful and patient, and after numerous reconfigurations to factory settings and some changes to my web-site account we finally got the book to download to my Nook, and have been happily reading "The Gospel According to Jesus Christ"...enjoying it so far, but again I only just started.

Took us about 30-40 minutes to get it all straighten out!
Hurray! Glad it is all straightened out and you are happily reading on your Nook.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Davin

I'm set now, I'm going to get one early next year when I start running low on my physical books.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.