News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Good free software

Started by AlP, August 15, 2009, 05:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jats

Quote from: "Vangelis"Ummm... No-one's mentioned operating systems? Can't believe it! Or maybe I just missed it. Why pay hundreds of dollars for something that is freely available?

"...this was my thought too as I read through, and then finally Vangelis said it, for once you free yourself from Windows, everything becomes free, and Linux Mint is the one to start with, you can even keep Windows for a while on a separate partition if you want to, or go for a complete replacement for that virus attracting Microsoft stuff designed to make your machine obsolete, and less demanding on your hardware too, particular the processor, breathing new life into that old machine, making it seem new, and most important of all completely free, no more money to Microsoft then, that was good enough reason for me, oh, and the thought of being smug myself in the future, like now..."

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

The Magic Pudding

I had problems updating AVG free antivirus to AVG free 2011.
I've been using it for years, but it's not recommended as much as it used to be.
I'm using Avast's free version now and it seems better, so far I can say program/definition updates are smaller and quicker.

Recusant

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"I had problems updating AVG free antivirus to AVG free 2011.

Yes, I had some issues with AVG 2011 as well.  Strangely, somebody else in the house updated to 2011 on the same day that I did, and it seems to be working fine for them.  What I did is remove 2011 and re-install the last version of AVG available before 2011 came out, which you can get from OldApps.com.  AVG is still supplying daily database updates for "AVG Free Edition 9.0.851," and I'll probably stick with this version for at least a couple of months until I'm sure that 2011 has all the bugs worked out.

(You didn't say what problems you had with "2011," The Magic Pudding, but for me, it looked like it was trying to install something that looked a lot like a keylogger.  I think it was called "ActivityMonitor."  I'm not sure if that was AVG, or some trojan I picked up somewhere that happened to coincide with my installation of 2011. However, since every time I refused to allow "ActivityMonitor" to complete installation, AGV requested that I restart my system, it seemed that they were related.  Once I went back to AVG Free Edition 9.0.851, I ran Spybot Search and Destroy and Malwarebytes, and things seem to be fine...)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

The Magic Pudding

AVG 2011 installed OK but wouldn't update cleanly, windows froze, unresponsive to Alt Ctrl Delete.
Startup of windows  7 became slower.
Firefox would freeze, possibly because of the AVG toolbar.
Other programs wouldn't install because of an incomplete AVG install, windows did fix this but next update it recurred.

I could have gone back to AVG 9, but the tech forums I visit were cold on it.

Avast comes highly recommended, it completed a scan of 1.8 TB of data in two hours.
This is on a desktop system which was fairly average when new 18 months ago.

Asmodean

The only piece of free, non-bundled software I didn't code myself on my computers is 7zip.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

jduster

Tom62

Good news for our Mac users. Sophos has released an extremely decent anti-virus program for the Mac this week.

http://www.sophos.com/products/free-too ... nti-virus/
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

SomewhereInND

Free software? gnu.org has never failed me.
Religion makes me chuckle.
--------------------------------
MENTAL NOTE-Reality is what it is, not what anyone wants it to be, and not what anyone thinks it is.
MENTAL NOTE-Make an effort to be a happy athiest.
My College Math Professor once said:Math is just an imaginary model of reality.
My Dog once said:Bark.
Coworker once said:If it looks good

trippn740

Asmodean

Quote from: "trippn740"http://ubuntu.com
Enough said.
:eek: To each his own, I guess...  :hmm:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

joeactor

Enough said.
:D

Just started setting up an Ubuntu file/media server for the house.
Not too bad, but does require a fair amount of tech savvy.

... but I'm a Unix guy from way back, so not a problem.

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

trippn740

Quote from: "Tom62"
Enough said.
:( )

I've got a pretty old pc too so I'm running xfce as the desktop manager, rather than gnome... But it still beats windows ;)

What problems are you having with the scanner?

trippn740

Quote from: "joeactor"Just started setting up an Ubuntu file/media server for the house.
Not too bad, but does require a fair amount of tech savvy.

... but I'm a Unix guy from way back, so not a problem.

I think it's pretty much the most user friendly Linux distro I've ever used.. But I agree; for people that aren't into programming or Unix in general, the Shell might be a little confusing...  :P

Davin

Lightworks
Recently released as open source, very nice video editing software.

[youtube:2mekdn1s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gCDFfXUcGk[/youtube:2mekdn1s]

MyPaint
Still pretty new and doesn't have all the features they have planned yet, but I've found that at it's current state, it's very awesome.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.