News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

New Member 04-08-2007

Started by lafilip, April 09, 2007, 01:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lafilip

Hello all.

I am not trying to clog the forum with new member posts, but I figured I would at least type an introduction.  

Religion was never really a big part of my upbringing.  I am happy to say that neither of my parents forced any religious beliefs upon me.  

As today is Easter it was easy for me to see that some of my family members do believe. I am not a narrow-minded person so this doesn't bother me.  I am not by any means trying to change their beliefs or tell them that I have all of the answers.  My problem is when everyone is praying before a meal. (which is only two times a year I might add)  As I stated before my mother raised me to be polite not religious so, I oblige them and put my head down put the whole time I can't help but think this is a joke.

I look forward to reading all of the intelligent posts and debating others.

Whitney

Welcome to the forum, lafilip.

SteveS

Hi lafilip.

Quote from: "lafilip"I oblige them and put my head down put the whole time I can't help but think this is a joke.
Yeah, I know what you mean.  A long time ago I decided I would just sit there with a wry look on my face.  So, one of my extended family member's kids asked me why I don't pray before I eat.  Before I could answer, his mother said that it is everyone's choice and they don't have to pray if they don't want to.  I was going to say that prayer requires me to close my eyes and lower my head, whereas I enjoy living with my head up and my eyes open, but it's probably best she beat me to an answer.  I guess mine could have been considered insulting (haha).

Eclecticsaturn

welcome to the site. My parents pray before EVERY meal and my wifes family does the same but sometimes they sing-pray. i never join though. Mostly i make it a point to start eating something before they say, lets pray. Its fun.