News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

A Game of Thrones (Full of spoilers!)

Started by Sandra Craft, May 28, 2012, 10:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on August 06, 2017, 03:14:49 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 04, 2017, 06:22:11 PM
As for the dragons, if memory serves only Targaryans can ride the dragons?

This is something I've never been clear on -- is it that only Targaryens can ride dragons, or that only Targaryens have ridden dragons?

QuoteWhile the specific methods used in training them are not widely known at the time of the novels (such information was nearly all lost in the Doom of Valyria), it has long been believed that only those who possess Valyrian blood (such as the Targaryens) can bond with and ride dragons. This may be for the simple reason that the Valyrians were the first to accomplish this feat, and dragons do seem to be inherently friendlier around people with at least some Valyrian blood. During the Dance of the Dragons, for example, Rhaenyra Targaryen had many dragons at her disposal but not enough allies able to ride them. Therefore, she sought out any surviving Targaryen bastards in the hope that their partial Valyrian descent would enable them to bond with the dragons (which some were able to do, but not others).

QuoteDragons will not simply allow anyone to mount them. They seem to be very selective of who they allow become their rider. The rider having Valyrian heritage might be a factor. Once a dragon bonds with a rider, that dragon will not allow anyone else to mount it while its rider lives, though dragons will allow new riders once their previous rider is deceased. No rider though has ever ridden a different dragon while his/her current dragon was alive.

There seems to be a special bond between a dragon and its rider. A dragon might to be able to sense when its current rider is in distress or has died. This is implied in the case of the dragon Dreamfyre, who, despite being locked and chained in the Dragonpit, sensed when her rider Helaena Targaryen committed suicide in Maegor's Holdfast. At the moment of Helaena's death Dreamfyre rose suddenly with a roar that shook the Dragonpit and snapped two of the chains that bound her.

So apparently one does not have to be a Targaryen, though having Valyrian blood goes a long way in training dragons.

There is a fan theory that Tyrion is also secretly a Targaryen -- the Mad King may have raped Tywin's wife when he visited them in Casterly Rock. This could be why the dragons allowed Tyrion to unchain them.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 06, 2017, 03:43:24 PM
There is a fan theory that Tyrion is also secretly a Targaryen -- the Mad King may have raped Tywin's wife when he visited them in Casterly Rock. This could be why the dragons allowed Tyrion to unchain them.

Cool.  Could also give a reason beyond sour grapes and being a bad father for Tywin's "you're not my son" comment.  Who else is Valyrian, other than the Targaryens?  And they'd be from Essos, right?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on August 06, 2017, 06:12:17 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 06, 2017, 03:43:24 PM

Cool.  Could also give a reason beyond sour grapes and being a bad father for Tywin's "you're not my son" comment.  Who else is Valyrian, other than the Targaryens?  And they'd be from Essos, right?

Yeah, that's one aspect of the fan theory that believers cite as evidence. Besides blaming Tyrion for his wife's death in childbirth maybe Tywin knows that Tyrion isn't his and just pretends he is to avoid humiliation at the hands of the Mad King.  :shrug:

I know the Baratheons have some Targayren blood through the female line, that's why Robert was able to usurp the throne, backed by other noble families including the Lannisters, who saw him as having some right to sit on the Iron Throne.

Yes, the Targaryens are originally from Essos and Dragonstone, the seat of their power before they invaded and conquered Westeros. 

Sandra Craft

Epi 7.4, Spoils of War.  Holy freaking crap!  I'm sure it was a dull battle to the Asmo but, not being an Asmo, I cannot be blase about so much fire and blood.

Definitely enjoyed the scene of Anya and Brienne practicing together -- have a feeling that a) they're going to end up training each other, and b) they emerge as two of the best fighters in Westeros.

Bran is getting more and more boring to me.  Even the knowing things and visions isn't doing anything for me.

All thru this episode I kept thinking "I am going to be so unhappy if Bronn dies", so whew.  But I suppose he can still drown while rescuing armor laden Jaime.

Continuing to worry about how Yara is doing in Euron's clutches.

Sandy

Claireliontamer

One thing that confused me: at the end was Tyrion rooting for Jamie?  I mean I guess they are brothers after all but does this mean his allegiance isn't really with Dany?

Davin

Quote from: Claireliontamer on August 07, 2017, 10:02:05 AM
One thing that confused me: at the end was Tyrion rooting for Jamie?  I mean I guess they are brothers after all but does this mean his allegiance isn't really with Dany?
Jamie was the person in Tyrion's family who treated him the least worst.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Claireliontamer on August 07, 2017, 10:02:05 AM

I think he's loyal to Dany, but still wanted Jaime to escape.  It's a hard situation to be in, esp as Davin pointed out, Jaime is the one relative he's had anything like a good relationship with.
Sandy

Asmodean

Wha..? The 'Smo heard His name mentioned..?

Why, yes. The battle, if that it could be called, was a dull affair. Ser Merc's chaotic run to the ballista, I buy. The uh... Army having just one such when they knew the enemy had dragons, I do not. Also, Ser Merc should have been more on target with a weapon like that. It's not a torsion catapult - it's a giant crossbow. Those are highly accurate machines.

Still, I like the ballista being that effective. I want to see one or two of them dragons shot out of the air in a more permanent fashion at some point.

I was overall disappointed with the episode. Bran the wheelchair raven is in chop-chop land, although I think he'll at the very least live to face the Zs. Jamie not throwing the spear at the distance he was at... He was riding towards it. While we did not more than glimpse the movement, he had to see the dragon turning. Sorry, too thin. The dragon queen ought to have died or been seriously injured there. Reek... Yeah. That was pretty much what I expected. Run to find a way to get sister back. Still, some journey would have been nice. It almost feels like the screen writers are giving up on boobs and character development... Shame. Special effects only buy you some Asmoproval. The story does the rest. One exception; can Snow and the dragon queen just get to the point where alliance by marriage already?! Because their relationship is heading there with the speed of a 100-season soap opera. Fucking fuck and say your vows already! Or just do the vows thing... Or just the sex. That would be acceptable. Get ON with it!

As for the Dwarf, I agree with the above, but also I think he just... Doesn't like to see good people throw their lives away.

Best-liked characters (this episode only) Ser Merc, Sansa
Least liked: Arya, Bran, Dragon Queen, Lord Weasel, Bran and the wheelchair kid.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Asmodean

Afterthought;

You know... One unexpected thing has been happening for a long time, and this episode tipped the scale. As good as dead as they may be, I find myself rooting for the Lannisters.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Firebird

Tyrion and Jamie have always been close. Don't forget that Jamie was the one who helped him escape from his father.  Tyrion wants to take down his sister because he knows more than anyone how evil she is, and that's why he's with Daenarys. Makes perfect sense that he wouldn't want Jamie to die. And let's remember that Jamie now knows for sure that Tyrion did not kill Joffrey after all. Jamie will turn on his sister somehow. May not mean he kills her directly, but there will be some betrayal.
Loved the battle. Loved the mix of wide pan shots and up close combat, the one-shot of Bron dodging through the battle to get to the Scorpion, even the appearance of the Dothraki far off on the hill. Just a glimpse at first, but the long line of them in the hill, knowing how many are behind them... Awesome.
The Bran storyline has always been the weakest element of this show, and I can't wait for it to be done somehow. I get what they were trying to do with him, but the whole 3-eyed raven mythology and explanation has been done very poorly and doesn't seem to fit into the rest of the show's world somehow. Sadly, it'll probably be there until the end because clearly the writers have some sort of massive reveal set up there, probably about Jon Snow's true lineage. It will be interesting to see what comes of Littlefinger and whether he did try to have him killed in season 1.
Strong start to the season so far. I'm looking forward to the rest, though wondering how they'll resolve so many story lines with so little time left.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Firebird on August 07, 2017, 11:04:46 PM
Jamie will turn on his sister somehow. May not mean he kills her directly, but there will be some betrayal.

I live for this scene.  It's second in line after the dragons being ridden into battle.  Which, check.

In the meantime, does anyone else think Dany was riding Viserion, not Drogon?  That dragon looked like it had gold markings to me.

QuoteLoved the battle. Loved the mix of wide pan shots and up close combat, the one-shot of Bron dodging through the battle to get to the Scorpion, even the appearance of the Dothraki far off on the hill. Just a glimpse at first, but the long line of them in the hill, knowing how many are behind them... Awesome.

To say nothing of the synchronized horse standing shot.  That was my girlfriend's favorite bit.

QuoteThe Bran storyline has always been the weakest element of this show, and I can't wait for it to be done somehow.

I feel that, like the Sands, Bran is a wasted character.  Maybe they could have been interesting and attention grabbing, but not enough effort was put into them.  It seems to me that the Sands were supposed to just get by on being beautiful and violent, and Bran is supposed to get by on being a cripple mystic.
Sandy

xSilverPhinx

Watched it yesterday (tried watching the leaked version before that, but the quality was so bad that I decided to wait a little before they uploaded something better.

Thoughts:

It was so obvious that Littlefinger was going to try and plant some seed in Bran's head, maybe try and encourage him to become the Lord of Winterfell instead of Jon since Bran is Ned Stark's only remaining trueborn son. Good to see that Bran can see right through him.

Bran. What a boring character he's become. After the whole adventure over the Wall there was such potential for positive character development and see him actually grow as one, but instead we get the opposite --negative character development in which it seems that Bran has lost some of his humanity and become one-dimensional in the process. The way he said his 'goodbye' to Meera Reed after all they had been through together was off-putting. He may not be the same anymore as he himself tells Meera, but that still doesn't mean he has to become so...simple? in his motives. Hopefully this will be different in the books, once they are released, if they are ever released.  ::)

Dany and Jon. Dany still misses the bigger picture and fails to see the bigger threat or she's using Jon's desperation to fight the Army of the Dead as a means to get him to bend the knee. They should just get married already and both rule over a united kingdom, I think that's how the story will develop.   

Good battle scene, loved the intensity of it. Dany finally took her dragon to war, which makes sense because why wouldn't you take a dragon to war if you had one?  :shrug: Almost lost the beast though, but at least now she knows that they have weapons capable of seriously injuring or even killing her dragons. Maybe that will get her to change he tactics when attacking King's Landing.

Ayra and Brienne training scene. Arya is getting good.  ;D

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Firebird on August 07, 2017, 11:04:46 PM
Tyrion and Jamie have always been close. Don't forget that Jamie was the one who helped him escape from his father.  Tyrion wants to take down his sister because he knows more than anyone how evil she is, and that's why he's with Daenarys. Makes perfect sense that he wouldn't want Jamie to die. And let's remember that Jamie now knows for sure that Tyrion did not kill Joffrey after all. Jamie will turn on his sister somehow. May not mean he kills her directly, but there will be some betrayal.

Do you remember the prophecy that was told to Cersei when she was a child? They aired the scene in an episode but I don't recall which. The Witch in the scene tells Cersei that all her children will die and that her brother will be the end of her. Just doesn't say which brother. One reason why Cersei always hated Tyrion and tried to get him killed on more than one occasion is because she thinks that the prophecy refers to him, and we're sort of led to believe that he will do it, but maybe the show doesn't end like that at all. Maybe Jaime's the one to kill her in the end. It would be more interesting if he did, IMO. Maybe they leave the world as they came -- together. :notsure:

Asmodean

If a Kingslayer kills a queen... Does that cancel out his title, or..?  :headscratch:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Claireliontamer

I'm beginning to wonder how they're going to tie off all loose ends before the end of the limited episodes which are left.  I mean we haven't even seen the white walkers yet this season.  I just fear they're going to rush a lot of it to reach an end, either that or there are going to be lots of unanswered questions.