News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Talk About Star Wars With All the Spoilers You Want

Started by Pasta Chick, December 19, 2015, 03:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pasta Chick

I need to dammit, and obviously doing so without a spoiler warning isn't cool. So if you weren't quick enough to catch the title or didn't believe me for some reason, stop reading now.

I'm grieving the loss of my favorite childhood anti-hero, and seriously, just ouch. Not that it's really surprising given how vocal Ford has been about loathing Solo, but still. Ouch.

My major stumbling point was when Kylo Ren took his mask off and revealed he's basically JP from Grandma's Boy, and I nearly burst out laughing hysterically.

The part of it all that's really fucking with my head is the loss of the EU canon I've been immersed in since I was 10 or so. Especially because it's off but not quite. Like Han and Leia having a single son named Ben when in EU Luke and Mara Jade have a single son named Ben.

That being said, I was pleased with it overall. It's not Lucas, but it is Star Wars. I was so worried going in because of the hype around the prequels, which were just awful. But this actually was good.

Firebird

Just saw it. Sadly, some asshole commenting on a YouTube video spoiled the big reveal (Ren being their son and killing Han) beforehand, but it was still a big punch in the gut. I am upset.

I read the EU quite a bit up until my mid-20s and was a little sad about losing it too, but the quality of the stories was very mixed,  and there was no way to deal another movie without clashing with them. So fine. The dialogue and characters were the best part of the movie. Really loved Rey, liked Finn and Poe. Kylo seemed like a whiny little kid, and maybe this was on purpose, but he felt like a weak character, as did the Supreme Leader. The plot was a bit thin too, felt like a remake of Episode IV between the desert planet, Droid with an important message, and big space station to blow up. And seriously, has the Resistance just continued fighting some version of the Empire for 30 years? Nothing changed??

But I'm  nitpicking. The look and feel was reminiscent of the original trilogy, the CGI was great but not overwhelming, and I'm happy.  I'm looking forward to what comes next.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Claireliontamer

Dammit should not have viewed by recent posts!!!!!

Crow

Quote from: Claireliontamer on December 19, 2015, 09:05:03 AM
Dammit should not have viewed by recent posts!!!!!

Hahaha, I saw the thread title and knew a bunch of people were going to get stung by the recent posts option.
Retired member.

Pasta Chick

Ugh, is there truly nowhere safe to talk? I want to be cool, but there's so much to chew over.

I get the impression this movie was mostly just set up for what is to come. There was so much ground to cover over 30 years, it would'be ended up another horrid Lucas prequel if Abrhams had tried to fit it all in. Some things just have to be for now and we'll get details later. Although I'm somewhat concerned I'm wrong, as Abrahms isn't exactly a plot-driven sort of guy. Excellent CGI and action scenes, with just enough plot to make it not entirely pointless.

Firebird

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Crow

Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 19, 2015, 03:02:15 PM
Ugh, is there truly nowhere safe to talk? I want to be cool, but there's so much to chew over.

Just talk about it, if people don't want spoilers they can avoid the recent post thread for a while.
Retired member.

Pasta Chick

Ok so, MOAR SPOILERS.

The current debate I keep running into is whether Rey is Luke's daughter. I hope to hell not... As mentioned, there's a lot of the OT being rehashed already. And really, there have been Jedi and south for millennia without Skywalkers. She doesn't -have- to be a Skywalker to be powerful.

I did think the desert planet was a bit much as far as story. If they were going to go there, I'd rather they have just gone back to Tatooine. Rather than creating a new planet we've never heard of before but is Tatooine in everything but name and everyone is somehow involved in.

The planet blowing up planet thing was poorly introduced and felt like a side story arc that was there just because. It was redundant but it does make sense that the Empire would continue rebuilding their weapon of choice, and after 30 years would be way better at it.

My friends and I have long theorized that realistically, the Empire would not have fallen, so I'm comfortable with the continued civil war.

I think Kylo Ren is supposed to be weak. Seriously watch Grandmas Boy and tell me he isn't the same character. He's obviously strong in showy stuff like telepathy, but his training seems to have been functionally neglected - which is exactly what Han said, he's being used for show and will ultimately be destroyed. And then Rey was able to kick his ass with no training at all, maybe 48 hours after first learning the force exists. I think this could make for interesting story, but I do miss having a strong, completely badass villain.

One of the things I liked about EU over the OT was the EUs use of grey area between the Jedi and Sith. Whereas the OT is black and white, good and evil. I think it's tough to tell which way they're going with the movie at this point...

Firebird

This helps to explain the current state of the universe
Rey's lineage will definitely be a plot point, whether she's a a Skywalker or Kenobi or something else. JJ has hinted as much. Hopefully it will resolve one of the most glaring plot holes, which is how a girl who's never used the Force before can already beat a trained Jedi/Sith and pull the mind trick on a stormtrooper (fun fact: that stormtrooper was Daniel Craig).

I agree about the star system being given destroyed as poorly introduced. That was 5 or 6 planets being obliterated and the impact felt that like something akin to bombing a town square (bad but not devastating) when it's really the equivalent of blowing up the entire US Eastern seaboard.

Some people online have theorized that even if the EU has been tossed, it's obviously influenced the story. Rey reminds some people of Jaina Solo, and Kylo of Jacen (though I never read that story arc, as I stopped after the New Jedi order). I'd like to think so, as the EU did introduce some great characters over time.

Davin

Rey may have had training already. She looked well beyond the age that the Jedi started training youngsters when she was dropped off on the desert planet. With all the years alone on the planet dealing with extreme stress and and a shit life as a child, possibly she just focused on surviving and forgot about her training. Then years later, she is reminded of the force a few times, then it finally starts to click. At least I think that is a possibility.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Guardian85

Another possibility is that Rey is the child of one or more of Skywalker's original apprentices. She might have been left on Jakku for her own safety when her parent(s) realized the threat of Kylo/Ben.
Would fit in well with Davin's theory, I think.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

joeactor

It was OK. Better than the prequels, but not as good as 4,5,6.

There is no way Kylo is the son of Han and Leia. Just genetically impossible.

... And had it occurred to anyone how much better the universe would be of there were no Skywalker lineage in it? Mmmmmm?

Firebird

Tom62

I've seen it yesterday and I liked it. Far better than the prequels, IV and VI.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

joeactor

Quote from: Firebird on December 25, 2015, 07:12:28 AM
Quote from: joeactor on December 25, 2015, 05:57:22 AM

There is no way Kylo is the son of Han and Leia. Just genetically impossible.

Why?

His hair, skin tone, build, facial features - None of it looks like he's their kid.
... unless your midiclorians change all that when you turn ;-)