News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

It is a slightly overcast day with a "flat" light. Just raised the window blind and found that I can read the licence plate of a car accross the road, without glasses, fairly easily! That is at about 15 metres rather than 20 but it is something of an improvement and at only 2.5 days I guess healing is still going on.

Still just about unreadable with the left eye only at that distance.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Dave on October 07, 2017, 08:55:20 AM
It is a slightly overcast day with a "flat" light. Just raised the window blind and found that I can read the licence plate of a car accross the road, without glasses, fairly easily! That is at about 15 metres rather than 20 but it is something of an improvement and at only 2.5 days I guess healing is still going on.

Excellent news! Cataract operations are simple and cheap and have a huge positive impact on the person having the operation.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Dave

There's still life in this Old Fart even yet!

After foot and other probs decided to get a bit more exercise before the Cold and Clammy Hand of Winter gets a grip on the weather and my mood.

Walked to supermarket, as decribed before, getting a few yards further each time before needing a rest, then a longer rest, until breathjng and pulse back to normal, at about half way. This time I needed a two minute rest at lamposts 5 and 6 (previously 4 and 6) but did not stop at half way point.

Only getting fresh bread and fruit so light load in rucksack. Just missed bus back and they only run every 30mins on Sunday. Walked all the way back with no rests (downhill). First time I have done the return walk for about 3 years.

xSilverPhinx

That's great, Dave!

Might I suggest you listen to inspirational music while you walk uphill? ;)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 08, 2017, 02:44:27 PM
That's great, Dave!

Hmm, perhaps a recording of my old drill sergeant screaming, "Get those bloody legs moving you little bugger or I will pull one off and beat you about the head with the soggy end.,"  He could manage that, right in one's ear, in a single breath whilst running alongside. I think he was joking. I think...

It had the effect of being inspirational, in a way that often required a change of underwear.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on October 08, 2017, 03:08:23 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 08, 2017, 02:44:27 PM
That's great, Dave!

Hmm, perhaps a recording of my old drill sergeant screaming, "Get those bloody legs moving you little bugger or I will pull one off and beat you about the head with the soggy end.,"  He could manage that, right in one's ear, in a single breath whilst running. I think he was joking. I think...

Yeah, he probably was. Probably. :notsure:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dragonia

Things are looking up for you and I'm very happy for you, Dave!  :thumbsup:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Dave

Quote from: Dragonia on October 08, 2017, 06:36:12 PM

Things are looking up for you and I'm very happy for you, Dave!  :thumbsup:

Thanks, I am carefully looking after my eyes and will hopefully see more clearly just what the sugery has achieved.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dave on October 08, 2017, 02:26:59 PM
Only getting fresh bread and fruit so light load in rucksack. Just missed bus back and they only run every 30mins on Sunday. Walked all the way back with no rests (downhill). First time I have done the return walk for about 3 years.

Hooray for you Dave.  I believe OG is on the same walking program and making progress.  I should join as well.  I wonder if there's such a thing as a walking club where no one lives within walking distance of one another?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 09, 2017, 12:37:31 AM
Quote from: Dave on October 08, 2017, 02:26:59 PM

Hooray for you Dave.  I believe OG is on the same walking program and making progress.  I should join as well.  I wonder if there's such a thing as a walking club where no one lives within walking distance of one another?

I like that idea! Local group meeting for coffee at one another's houses. The local U3A has a "bus walking grouo". No cars allowed, all on the flat and about a mile at the pace of the slowest.

Essie Mae

We do something similar here; Hertfordshire Health Walks. We have lakes to walk round, (very flat), and woods to go through, (slightly more challenging with some ups and downs). They only last an hour and I do three a week. The coffee afterwards is at the nearest coffee shop and sometimes I go on one that ends with a pub lunch. It makes me keep up a good pace which I don't do if I walk on my own, and the social aspect is the best part. The only thing is that it is mostly people of around my age, but that can't be helped. I feel so much better for it 😀.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Icarus

Not far from my house there is a hugely popular walking venue. It is a paved walking path around Lake Hollingsworth. It is just under three miles around the lake. It is spectacularly beautiful, with many trees shading the path, and the lake is pristine. A very old and expensive college is on the north side of the lake. The college has the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture in the country. The walking path is constantly occupied by walkers from daybreak to well after ten at night.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on October 11, 2017, 07:24:54 AM
Not far from my house there is a hugely popular walking venue. It is a paved walking path around Lake Hollingsworth. It is just under three miles around the lake. It is spectacularly beautiful, with many trees shading the path, and the lake is pristine. A very old and expensive college is on the north side of the lake. The college has the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture in the country. The walking path is constantly occupied by walkers from daybreak to well after ten at night.

I would do it just for the FLW architecture! (Might take me a full day though . . .)

Essie Mae

Quote from: Dave on October 11, 2017, 08:12:58 AM
Quote from: Icarus on October 11, 2017, 07:24:54 AM

I would do it just for the FLW architecture! (Might take me a full day though . . .)

Sounds like a great day out, but it'd take me a day to get there, a day to explore and a day to get back.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare