News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Wish me luck as you wave me au revoir

Started by hermes2015, November 17, 2017, 11:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 18, 2017, 01:52:48 PM
:o Wishing you luck worked! We must have some godlike ability to influence events just by wishing they come true!

We must name this apparent superpower. Not 'prayer', that's already taken.

I am sure Father Bruno will have a name for it. I hope it can be repeated in polite society.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 18, 2017, 02:21:09 PM
:o Wishing you luck worked! We must have some godlike ability to influence events just by wishing they come true!

I am sure Father Bruno will have a name for it. I hope it can be repeated in polite society.

"Thoughts and Prayers" my man, simply, "Thoughts and Prayers".

We do need a word or phrase as atheist don't we in situations which call for such intentions of good will?

For example, what do you all say when someone sneezes? I usually just say "Bless you"...there was a Seinfeld episode where Jerry tried to switch "God Bless You" with "You are So Good Looking", but it didn't work.

I suppose we could say "Godzilla or "Go-Zirrah!  ;D

For people dealing with loss or grief I usually just tell them that I'm thinking of them, sorry for their loss and let them know that I'm available if they need help or simply need company, etc...

It's hard being an atheist in a secular world...

If I knew Hermes better, I probably would have said, "Oh you're going to Dubai? Well fuck you, you bastard, enjoy your trip. I'll be here in Michigan, cold, damp and wet while you party with the Kardashians"! ;D
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Only I have the magical powers to do that around here!  >:(
If something like that happens to anyone else, it's just a big fat coincidence! I already knew he was gonna have access to the forum that's why I didn't wish hermes2015:airquotes: good luck. :airquotes:

:P

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

Quote from: Father Bruno on November 18, 2017, 04:49:25 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on November 18, 2017, 02:21:09 PM

"Thoughts and Prayers" my man, simply, "Thoughts and Prayers".

We do need a word or phrase as atheist don't we in situations which call for such intentions of good will?

For example, what do you all say when someone sneezes? I usually just say "Bless you"...there was a Seinfeld episode where Jerry tried to switch "God Bless You" with "You are So Good Looking", but it didn't work.

I suppose we could say "Godzilla or "Go-Zirrah!  ;D

For people dealing with loss or grief I usually just tell them that I'm thinking of them, sorry for their loss and let them know that I'm available if they need help or simply need company, etc...

It's hard being an atheist in a secular world...

If I knew Hermes better, I probably would have said, "Oh you're going to Dubai? Well fuck you, you bastard, enjoy your trip. I'll be here in Michigan, cold, damp and wet while you party with the Kardashians"! ;D

To be fair, the people I deal with here are great and I find them quite humble and grateful for the expertise one brings in. It's also quite astonishing to see how many very scantily dressed young ladies are to be seen on the streets.

I usually say "gesundheit" when someone sneezes.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on November 18, 2017, 05:32:11 PM

Only I have the magical powers to do that around here!  >:(
If something like that happens to anyone else, it's just a big fat coincidence! I already knew he was gonna have access to the forum that's why I didn't wish hermes2015:airquotes: good luck. :airquotes:

:P

:worried: I see...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

Just arrived back home. At least I was able to keep up with HAF while I was in the UAE.

Thanks again for all the magic good wishes, thoughts, and prayers, fellow HAFers. I will need those again next month when I will be spreading the Good News to the delightful Omanis. I will be in the capital of Oman, Muscat, the last week in December.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 24, 2017, 08:15:53 AM
Just arrived back home. At least I was able to keep up with HAF while I was in the UAE.

Thanks again for all the magic good wishes, thoughts, and prayers, fellow HAFers. I will need those again next month when I will be spreading the Good News to the delightful Omanis. I will be in the capital of Oman, Muscat, the last week in December.
Another good reason for not celebrating Christms then?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on November 24, 2017, 10:03:46 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on November 24, 2017, 08:15:53 AM

Another good reason for not celebrating Christms then?

I don't need any reasons. The only part of my body that celebrates Christmas is my stomach.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

I am off to Dubai this evening. It is an 8 hour flight, then I have a 3 hour wait before my flight to Muscat in Oman tomorrow morning. I have been there before and was quite impressed with the country, because it is not as nouveau riche as Dubai and is one of the more enlightened Middle Eastern countries.

I hope I can access the HAF site in Muscat and keep up with everyone here.
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Thanks for all the good wishes. I'm off to the airport in an hour. I will be back home on Saturday the 6th, but will try to connect before then while I am in Muscat.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

I checked into my hotel in Muscat about 4 hours ago and found that I could log onto HAF. Had a siesta and it's still working. I just hope it will be OK the rest of the week so I won't suffer from withdrawal symptoms.
― Charles Eames