News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 01, 2019, 12:29:18 PM
Quote from: Red_Cloud on October 01, 2019, 12:27:46 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on October 01, 2019, 12:16:27 PM
I took this close-up photo this morning. Can anyone guess what it is?

The lighting isn't very good - just window light without flash. No lens hood, so the contrast could have been better.

Is it some sort of cake or bun?

A raisin?

A bit smaller!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 01, 2019, 12:30:19 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 01, 2019, 12:29:18 PM
Quote from: Red_Cloud on October 01, 2019, 12:27:46 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on October 01, 2019, 12:16:27 PM
I took this close-up photo this morning. Can anyone guess what it is?

The lighting isn't very good - just window light without flash. No lens hood, so the contrast could have been better.

Is it some sort of cake or bun?

A raisin?

A bit smaller!

A small raisin.  :sidesmile:

Just joking, I don't have a clue.  :P :D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on October 01, 2019, 01:03:06 PM
Cereal?

No, not cereal. What does Peugeot make that many foodies consider to be the best in its class, in the kitchen and at the table?
― Charles Eames

Red_Cloud

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 01, 2019, 01:18:41 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on October 01, 2019, 01:03:06 PM
Cereal?

No, not cereal. What does Peugeot make that many foodies consider to be the best in its class, in the kitchen and at the table?

Its a peppercorn. Peugeot make classic salt and pepper mills 8)

jumbojak

Huh, the more you know. I've never seen a Pugeot car in person, much less a branded kitchen gadgets.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on October 01, 2019, 10:25:43 PM
Huh, the more you know. I've never seen a Pugeot car in person, much less a branded kitchen gadgets.

They are quite common here. OK, I will reveal what it is. The connection to Peugeot is that they are well-known for making excellent pepper mills.

https://us.peugeot-saveurs.com/en_us/pepper-mills

So, with that clue, one can deduce that the photo shows part of a peppercorn. The diameter of the peppercorn is 4mm, so the part in the photo is only about 2mm.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Sorry, I should have given more details. The photo was taken with a reversed manual Nikon 24mm f/2.8 lens, mounted on a 100mm extension tube I cobbled together. I set it at f/16 and the camera on aperture priority, so it varied the shutter speed to get the best exposure. I had to focus stack 14 shots to compensate for the extremely low depth of field.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

You've come over to the dark side of reversing rings! I need to line my tubes with felt. The "Halo" in the center of your image looked familiar...

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on October 02, 2019, 05:17:13 AM
You've come over to the dark side of reversing rings! I need to line my tubes with felt. The "Halo" in the center of your image looked familiar...

Yes, all I had was black paper to line the 50mm diameter tin can I used as a tube. I thought the halo could also have been lens flare caused by the bright light from window near the table I was working on. I should use some black paper as a hood.
― Charles Eames

Red_Cloud

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 02, 2019, 04:50:35 AM

They are quite common here. OK, I will reveal what it is. The connection to Peugeot is that they are well-known for making excellent pepper mills.

So, with that clue, one can deduce that the photo shows part of a peppercorn. The diameter of the peppercorn is 4mm, so the part in the photo is only about 2mm.

I just said all that! . . . Have I won some sort of prize, PLEASE?

hermes2015

Quote from: Red_Cloud on October 02, 2019, 09:34:43 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on October 02, 2019, 04:50:35 AM

I just said all that! . . . Have I won some sort of prize, PLEASE?

Apologies! I somehow missed your earlier post with the correct deduction. No prize, just the right to brag.
Sorry once again.  :boaterhat:
― Charles Eames

Red_Cloud

Hey Y'all! . . Where do y'all get them different gifs from? Like wot Herpes got? Like the "tip_hat" above?

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Red_Cloud on October 02, 2019, 12:20:19 PM
Hey Y'all! . . Where do y'all get them different gifs from? Like wot Herpes got? Like the "tip_hat" above?

Wot? do you mean Hermes?
I don't think we've got no Herpes.
It's a consolation for a dully lived life.
No we don't but we can't speak for all.

I'll probably be flayed for giving away the mysteries so easily but you just use the "more" link and you shall be bedazzled with choice.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.