Did you choose to be an atheist because you wanted to escape morality?

Started by Thunder Road, December 28, 2011, 09:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

znk666

I decided to become an atheist so that i COULD become moral.
There are people who want to make men's lives more difficult for no other reason than the chance it provides them afterwards to offer their prescription for alleviating life; their Christianity, for instance.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Harmonie

No way! My morals never actually had a thing to do with being a Christian. I don't need religion to tell me what is right and wrong, especially when what it oftentimes considers wrong has no real base to it (like homosexuality). My values are more based on doing no harm to others, and religion doesn't need to tell me that harming others is wrong.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

pytheas

"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

Too Few Lions

I'm amazed Christians come out with this knd of BS, and I have heard it from quite a few. LfJ pretty much said the same thing recently on this forum. Yet I've never heard an atheist turn the argument on a Christian, which seems just as valid a thing to do. Maybe we should ask Christians who raise this question if they only chose to become Christian because they crave power and want to play god and tell others what to believe and do, and force their ideas of morality on others. Are such Christians just little Hitlers?

Sweetdeath

Someone told me Hitler was christian, but I don't remember reading about it. It probably isnt too far fetched.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 28, 2012, 06:35:38 PM
Someone told me Hitler was christian, but I don't remember reading about it. It probably isnt too far fetched.
Roman catholic, methink... It's pretty much common knowledge for those who care to research him and/or that period in European history, although his religious affiliation is hardly one of his defining characteristis.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Guardian85

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 28, 2012, 06:35:38 PM

If you read "Mein Kampf", as I have (horrible book), you will find it full of references to God and the doing of the lords work.

QuoteHence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord. (p. 65)

QuoteFor this, to be sure, from the child's primer down to the last newspaper, every theater and every movie house, every advertising pillar and every billboard, must be pressed into the service of this one great mission, until the timorous prayer of our present parlor patriots: 'Lord, make us free!' is transformed in the brain of the smallest boy into the burning plea: 'Almighty God, bless our arms when the time comes; be just as thou hast always been; judge now whether we be deserving of freedom; Lord, bless our battle!' (pp. 632-633)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Sweetdeath

Thanks for clarifying that, Guardian!
Yikes, more of god's faithful followers. Irony at its best.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

fester30

Yes, yes, and HELL yes!  I became atheist so I could have sex with whomever (willing) and whenever I want!  I was tired of God telling me to keep my pants on!  I was tired of thinking of Grandma watching me play with myself!  Now I'm free to know that I do have complete and total privacy in those times when I want complete and total privacy.

While I have the freedom to sleep with others, I still only wanna have relations with my wife.  She's pretty awesome, so, I guess I'm not totally taking advantage of this opportunity the lack of Hell gave me.

Ali

Quote from: fester30 on February 01, 2012, 01:27:05 AM
I was tired of thinking of Grandma watching me play with myself! 

Good point.  I can't even have the dog in the room, let alone imagining all of my dead relatives are watching me.  No wonder religious types are so screwy.  Their pent up!

m.condon

Just a quick reply b/c I dont have time to read the whole thread, sorry I caught this topic once it was already 9 pages long :o But I get really offended when people ask me how I am moral without God. Its actually frightening because (atleast to me) it implies that the only reason you are a good person is b/c you are afraid of Hell. I am a good person b/c it makes me happy, it is a selfish motivation. I am not nice b/c I should be or it is right but b/c I would want you to be nice to me and it makes me feel better when I am nice. I very much believe that you can have morals without religion and I may even argue your morals would be stronger b/c it is enforced with reason or logic not a threat of punishment
Usanap.org
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kMzqSDWbLfo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sweetdeath

Quote from: m.condon on February 01, 2012, 01:55:17 AM
Just a quick reply b/c I dont have time to read the whole thread, sorry I caught this topic once it was already 9 pages long :o But I get really offended when people ask me how I am moral without God. Its actually frightening because (atleast to me) it implies that the only reason you are a good person is b/c you are afraid of Hell. I am a good person b/c it makes me happy, it is a selfish motivation. I am not nice b/c I should be or it is right but b/c I would want you to be nice to me and it makes me feel better when I am nice. I very much believe that you can have morals without religion and I may even argue your morals would be stronger b/c it is enforced with reason or logic not a threat of punishment

I like this.
I also feel I am more in control of my feelings. I'm helpful to others because it makes me happy.