News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unsapien

Contemplating on the idea of a "good failure".

Being smart enough to know when digging in farther is unlikely to produce any better results, and knowing when to drop the shovel.
"If we are to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

Ecurb Noselrub

Hello Mags!  So glad to see you again.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Unsapien on March 11, 2019, 07:26:11 PM
Contemplating on the idea of a "good failure".

Being smart enough to know when digging in farther is unlikely to produce any better results, and knowing when to drop the shovel.

I try to follow the "inner voice".  That voice has been honed by millions of years of evolution, and has encountered multiple life-threatening and disastrous situations, yet my ancestors survived well enough to produce me. The inner voice knows danger before my conscious mind does. 

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

Tank

Facebook is back and in other news the wheely bins in our street are having a weather conference in windy corner!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

I'm thinking about starting Brazilian jiu jitsu next week. I'd only be able to make it on Wednesdays but it looks like fun.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

Today was a a painfully bad day for me and my wife Elaine.  Our beloved little Austrailian Shepherd had come to the end of his 18 year life.  He was in great pain and had become immobile. We had to do what we had to do this morning.  He died peacefully with an overload of anasthetic before the fatal injection.  I am writing this with tears, a flood of tears, in my eyes because I loved him dearly and he returned that deep affection many times over.  I desperately want to believe in the Rainbow Bridge but I know that it is not really there. 

xSilverPhinx

Sorry to hear that, Icarus. :(
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Damn, that is sad. My condolences, Icarus. Hasn't been a good few weeks for HAF dogs.  :-\
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on March 14, 2019, 11:33:26 PM
Today was a a painfully bad day for me and my wife Elaine.  Our beloved little Austrailian Shepherd had come to the end of his 18 year life.  He was in great pain and had become immobile. We had to do what we had to do this morning.  He died peacefully with an overload of anasthetic before the fatal injection.  I am writing this with tears, a flood of tears, in my eyes because I loved him dearly and he returned that deep affection many times over.  I desperately want to believe in the Rainbow Bridge but I know that it is not really there.
I'm sorry to hear this, Icarus. Very sad. I'll never forget your dog died March 14 (3-14), National Pi Day.   :(

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dark Lightning

So sorry for your loss, Icarus.

hermes2015

Nothing I say can possibly help, Icarus, but know that I feel for you and your wife.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Crying with you  :'(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bluenose

When we lose one of our beloved pets it leaves a hole in our soul.  The only thing I have found is that although nothing can fill that hole, I still miss pets that passed away 50 years ago, new pets seem magically able to burrow new spaces for themselves.  You still miss the old pet, but the new ones do help.  It amazes how they can expand the amount of love you have without stealing any of that you still have for the one that is no longer there.  I hope you can find a new furry friend to fill your life with joy.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett