News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

I can't be the only musician...

Started by ACSlater, May 07, 2009, 11:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACSlater

Since HAF has such a diversity of people, I figure the probability of me being the only musician here is very slim. So, I wanted to start a thread that allows those that are musicians or just lovers of music to talk about gear, styles, favorite artists, etc.

My brief music dossier  -
Guitarist/drummer/singer/songwriter/pianist
Styles include rock, blues, jazz and whatever elements I feel are needed to create the song I'm inspired to do.

I even have a humble studio setup.

So, let me hear from anyone that wishes to share. I'm also willing to expand if you're curious.

(And now for a completely irrelevant use of a smilie  :cat:  )

joeactor

Well, I sing (lyric baritone range), and have tried to learn several instruments.

I used to play keyboard (melody only) by ear, then tried to formally learn piano.
The whole "two hands" thing wasn't happening.

Next, guitar.  It's staring at me from the corner now...
(better, but still a lot to learn)
Doesn't seem to be intuitive for me.

Ok, so next?

Theremin.
It's on the way as I type.

I figure it's as close as I'm going to get to the human voice and playing by ear, which seem to be my forte.

As a singer, I've sung many styles.  Everything but rap and hip-hop.  I have good relative pitch, but not perfect pitch, and a pretty wide range.

And now, here's my pointless smilie:  :hmm:
JoeActor

Squid

Been playin' guitar for over 10 years.  Haven't played much over the last year or two though...sadly...getting rusty.

curiosityandthecat

Played cello for seven years. Now I mainly play air guitar.
-Curio

Will

I play piano, mainly romantic French and Russian pieces, but occasionally jazz. I'd like to play like Bill Evans some day.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

knight

I play the alto saxophone for jazz band (I've been playing the sax for seven years). I also play the trombone for symphony and marching band (though I've only been playing the trombone for about two years). I also sing in my school's choir (I'm a bass). :) Music is my life (or at least a very good portion of it). It's nice to see fellow musicians here!

MommaSquid

Quote from: "Will"I play piano, mainly romantic French and Russian pieces, but occasionally jazz. I'd like to play like Bill Evans some day.

Will, is there anything you can't do?   :hail:

Phillysoul11

I was taught piano for around 13 years, I still play, but I don't have a tutor. I mainly play ragtime and jazz, but anything really. Also I play snare and set.
and cowbell
http://www.twitter.com/Phillysoul11

Keep the dream alive... hit the snooze button

karadan

Percussion ever since i was 7. I'm currently inbetween drum kits as the place i'm living in can't support one. :(
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

MattParsons

I'm a musician.  I mainly play guitar but I am trying to learn keyboard and to sing.

You can listen to my compositions here: http://www.myspace.com/parsonsmatt

And if you're adventurous, here is my metal solo project: http://www.myspace.com/alastyranny
Matt Parsons
Symphonic Compositions[/url]
Alas, Tyranny - Symphonic Melodic Metal

ACSlater

I'm loving this already. I've never been in band in school, but I've done piano (which taught me how to read music) and choir (reinforced the music theory) during school. It helped me with guitar (playing for about 12 years now). I learned drums because my older brother played ever since I can remember, the next step was piano, then guitar/bass.

Thanks for all the responses thus far, and who knows? Maybe we can all get together and have a group bigger than Polyphonic Spree.  :banna:

ACSlater

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Played cello for seven years. Now I mainly play air guitar.

No need for air guitar my friend, just turn your cello sideways and "cello, you've got a bass". Yes...I just typed that.

joeactor

Rock on!

We need a virtual band.  Yes we do.

I'll be happy to pitch in on the vocals ;-)
JoeActor

ACSlater

Quote from: "joeactor"Rock on!

We need a virtual band.  Yes we do.

I'll be happy to pitch in on the vocals ;-)
JoeActor

And we'd be more famous than Jesus...Jones. Anyone that remembers him gets 10,000 points.

BadPoison

I play saxophone, keyboards, drums in that order.

I've played in several different bands over the years in many styles-
mainly jazz, funk, blues, and rock.

Cheers!

:beer: