News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Started by MommaSquid, August 02, 2006, 02:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MommaSquid

Corporal punishment is child abuse.  Parents may delude themselves that they are hitting the child for his/her own good, but there is always a better way to change a child's behavior.  Always.  

Some parents stop "spanking" their children when the children become big enough to defend themselves.  My mom didn't enjoy that lesson, but luckily she only had to learn it once.  Edit:  BTW, I was about 12 when I defended myself and I haven't hit a person since.

Big Mac

I am going to have to disagree with you guys (become I'm a "loose-cannon", this coming from a guy who is basically a fanatic) because I think spanking is a good way to discipline kids. I was a handful growing up, I was kicked out of Boy Scouts, Football, Karate, T-Ball, etc. because I was just too hyper and I recognized this now that I have grown up. I used to be a really weird kid. What helped me calmed down when I misbehaved was a good old ass-whooping from my dad and mom. I would never even dream of hitting my mom even as a grown man. And she would smack me in the mouth if I was disrespectful or cursed in front of her. I turned out quite alright.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Big Mac

Quote from: "Court"
Quote from: "laetusatheos"
Quote from: "MommaSquid"
Quote from: "onlyme"I don't agree, I think there are 'perceived' strings, such as smacking a child, which is seen at the time as not being 'love', but which, from a mature point of view, DOES indeed represent unconditional love.

Wait a minute.   Did he just say that corporal punishment represents unconditional love?

I think so....I disagree, there is no reason to have to smack a child if they are raised properly.

Which is why I'm never having children.  :lol:

Me either, I actually kind of hate the little wretched shits anyway. Though I do like their TV shows when I'm drinking or smoking. You have to be on drugs to do that shit. Imagine little me's running around. To quote Marlon Brando "The Horror....the horror...."
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

silviakjell

depends on your definition of "spanking" and how mature the child is.
I might be wrong, but Im pretty sure Im right.

MikeyV

I think that if this is the 5th time your child has tried to pull the pan of boiling water off of the stove, a smack is appropriate.

Although Maricopa Medical Center has the best burn unit in the country, you don't want to spend any time there....believe me.

In certain circumstances, corporal punishment is appropriate, if used judiciously, and sparingly.

EDIT: I called my mom a bitch once...after I picked myself up off of the floor, I apologized and never called her a bitch again.
Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God loves
you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the
most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should save
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.

Asmodean Prime

No, mommasquid, spanking is NOT child abuse.  Maybe you are in favour of all people, including little children, making up their own minds about how to live and conduct themselves.  Which they are incapable of at a young age.  That's why they have parents.  Glad that some people on here agree with me.   I thought I was the only sane one on here

I await the howling laughter......

But I stand my ground.

Asmodean Prime

Also, in my younger, reckless schooldays, I HATED discipline.  It was only after a few spells in correction centres that I truly understood that discipline is a GREAT thing.  It's not meant to harm us, just to teach and train us.  But it depends on whether a person is receptive enough to understand that, or be an idiot all their lives.

Asmodean Prime

Also, mommasquid, regarding, as you said, spanking is child abuse.  I think the opposite is true.  I don't know what it's like in the states, but in England, parents are now being stopped from spanking their own children, schools have abandoned discipline, courts no longer enforce the law against young people - no wonder they run riot!  We have given them every right, and the mature members of society NO rights!

This country is in decline because of this!

Whitney

Like I said before...spanking is not necessary if the child is raised properly.  A child who was raised being spanked will view spanking as the only way to teach a kid.  I was not raised by spanking so I know that it is not necessary.  A stern voice and time outs are more than enough to get the kid to figure out what is bad.

Court

I was spanked very little as a child and I see it as uneccessary. I was always sorry WAY before I was physically punished. I just figured it was my dad taking out some anger. Parenting should be more difficult than smacking your child every time they give you lip. Hitting is the easy way out, it seems.
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Asmodean Prime

Laetus, are you truly saying that a little spank is not conducive to good learning in a child?  Although there is a distinction between 'adult' and 'child' behaviour, I contend that even in the 'adult' world, physical discipline has value.  If, for example, I hit upon another man's wife, and he breaks my jaw, I will think twice next time, or if a neighbour catches me stealing his property and gives me a good hiding, I will also think twice next time.  I know this is a poor analogy, but childhood IS the learning stage.  if an adult can learn by extreme punishment, can't a child learn by gentle punishment?

Whitney

A mature adult shouldn't have to get punched in order to know what he was doing is wrong...an adult know what he was doing is wrong well before violence becomes necessary.

And, yes, I'm saying that spanking is absolutely not necessary for teaching a child right from wrong or how not to harm themselves.

Asmodean Prime

laetus, do you have kids of your own?

Court

Quote from: "laetusatheos"And, yes, I'm saying that spanking is absolutely not necessary for teaching a child right from wrong or how not to harm themselves.

Unless you're too stupid to know how else to get your child to understand. Onlyme, do you honestly think that spanking is the only way?
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Whitney

Quote from: "onlyme"laetus, do you have kids of your own?

No, but I've worked in a day care and took care of other people's kids.  I was able to get kids to mind me without having to even smack their hand lightly.  All you have to do is get the kids to respect you as an authority figure and they will do what you say...sometimes it requires being firm, but does not require hitting.   We tell kids not to hit each other...what kind of standard does it set if we are hypocritical and hit the child?