News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonia

Dropped my phone, which is my LIFE.  I access the internet, my bank, this forum, all my texting and phone calls.... everything is my phone.  Now it doesn't work and I have to use this little dinosaur of a laptop for anything online.  And I have to either pay for a new phone or for mine to be fixed. 
How did I get so dependent upon that stupid little device that I PANIC if it breaks???
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Dave

Quote from: Dragonia on January 26, 2018, 09:22:18 PM
Dropped my phone, which is my LIFE.  I access the internet, my bank, this forum, all my texting and phone calls.... everything is my phone.  Now it doesn't work and I have to use this little dinosaur of a laptop for anything online.  And I have to either pay for a new phone or for mine to be fixed. 
How did I get so dependent upon that stupid little device that I PANIC if it breaks???

Back in the Dark Ages, before the smartphone, even of mobiles smaller than a briefcase, a friend went into a category 5 frenzy when she lost her (genuine) Filofax. Her social life was terminated until her friends called her and she could get their numbers again, her work life became a string of calls to confirm appointment dates etc. . . I am told she burst into tears (of relief?) when she found it under the car seat.

I have found all manner of "lost" things under car seats.

Appart from a few contact details, which are in a paper address book anyway, my calendar and diary auto sync to my tablet in case I lose the phone.

Hope you can get it fixed, Dragonia.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

Dragonia,  I believe that you are a smart and insightful woman.  Because you are really sharp, you already  know that Steve Jobs and others like Bill Gates are and have been conspirators.   They, along with a latter day conspiracy participant , Barrack Obama the Kenyan , are all secretly plotting to take over the world, and reduce us all to slaves of the digital machine.  Their aim is to implement the New World Order.   Kinda Orwellian ain't it?

I am one of the last hold outs.  I do not have an I phone.  I do have a cheap ass flip phone that is capable of calling the men in the white coats but it can not tell me how to find the nearest Starbucks like yours can do so well.  I'd have one of the evil I phones too if only I was not so cheap.  The magic phone subscription cost is more than my monthly booze bill. No way I'm going to succumb to that sort of misplaced priority.

Buddy

I am so over serving. I hate having to bend over backwards with a smile on my face for assholes while only making 2.13 an hour. People have just been so nasty lately. Been searching for months now for something else but unfortunately in my area the only places hiring are retail shops and factories.

I need to get something permanent soon because I'm pretty sure my poor car isn't going to make it into next year. I would like to trade it in before anything catastrophic goes wrong. Damn thing probably needs suspension work if that's what the grindey noise I'm hearing is.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on January 27, 2018, 04:17:59 AM
I am so over serving. I hate having to bend over backwards with a smile on my face for assholes while only making 2.13 an hour. People have just been so nasty lately. Been searching for months now for something else but unfortunately in my area the only places hiring are retail shops and factories.

I need to get something permanent soon because I'm pretty sure my poor car isn't going to make it into next year. I would like to trade it in before anything catastrophic goes wrong. Damn thing probably needs suspension work if that's what the grindey noise I'm hearing is.
Get the grindy noise checked now. The last time my wife's car had that a suspension spring had broken and was mm from cutting a hole in the tyre!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dragonia on January 26, 2018, 09:22:18 PM

:sshocked: I know the feeling!

In my case it's probably a dumb thing to do though -- rely so heavily on the phone -- as the odds of getting it stolen in a mugging are quite high. I have a old decoy phone that I carry with me but while muggers aren't the sharpest tools in the box they aren't the bluntest either.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dragonia

Quote from: Icarus on January 27, 2018, 02:12:49 AM
Dragonia,  I believe that you are a smart and insightful woman.  Because you are really sharp, you already  know that Steve Jobs and others like Bill Gates are and have been conspirators.   They, along with a latter day conspiracy participant , Barrack Obama the Kenyan , are all secretly plotting to take over the world, and reduce us all to slaves of the digital machine.  Their aim is to implement the New World Order.   Kinda Orwellian ain't it?

Indeed, because I am so sharp, I do know that the control of the masses is being implemented by the tech geniuses and world powers, in collusion with the illuminati. And because I like convenience, I have allowed myself to be lured into these traps of ease and speed and consolidation.
And I will simply DIE if the store doesn't fix it by Tuesday, as promised! Apparently all I need is some little thing called a Digitizer.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on January 27, 2018, 11:07:02 AM

Get the grindy noise checked now. The last time my wife's car had that a suspension spring had broken and was mm from cutting a hole in the tyre!

Getting it looked at on Monday. Thankfully I don't live far from work or else I'd be SOL. Whatever is wrong with it I will probably have to figure out how to fix it myself.

I can't  get my bottle of Jim Beam open and I'm mad about it  >:(
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on January 28, 2018, 04:17:12 AM

Getting it looked at on Monday. Thankfully I don't live far from work or else I'd be SOL. Whatever is wrong with it I will probably have to figure out how to fix it myself.

Check the inside of your tyres.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Guardian85

Quote from: Tank on January 28, 2018, 05:58:43 AM

How will that help with the bottle of inferior american whisky?

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 28, 2018, 01:44:29 PM

How will that help with the bottle of inferior american whisky?
It'll take her mind off how crap the whisky is and might also save her life.

jumbojak

Also check for any movement of the wheel with the wheel in the air. If it grinds and howls while moving I'd bet on a wheel bearing. If while turning, I'd bet on a bad ball joint or tie rod. Either way Bud, you might have to pay a shop to do it. If you were closer I'd take care of it for you but it'd be a bit of a job with a shop press in my Honda. FWD wheel bearings aren't the most diy friendly job.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Buddy

Don't worry guys, if it ends up being too hard to do myself I have a guy that works on my car. Oddly enough there isn't any grinding when I turn, just when going straight and only sometimes. Who knows, my car is weird. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Davin

On my car, I had a grinding noise that happened when I hit some bumps, went up driveways, and sometimes when I turned.

It ended up being a little plastic thing on the wheel well that got loose and rubbed against the tire when the tire went up a bit.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

jumbojak

Blood blisters. I have two of them right between my thumb and index finger on my right hand. You try to be careful with a hammer but that tiny little bit of skin finds its way in.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz