News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

I can't stand Trump or Christians. How do I get over this?

Started by MatureMcLeod, January 11, 2017, 12:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pasta Chick

Oh, I was thinking Dredge may be exactly the sort of poster MM replies to.

Dredge

Quote from: Recusant on February 04, 2017, 03:16:49 PM
Quote from: Dredge on February 04, 2017, 07:54:03 AM
Quote from: MatureMcLeod on January 11, 2017, 12:25:59 AM
I can't stand whenever someone justifies evil. I've seen Trump and Christians do this all the time. Trump will justify things such as rape and racism, while Christians justify things such as murder of babies and cannibalism.
Can you cite an example of 1) a Christian justifying the murder of babies; and 2) of cannibalism, please?

"Slaughter of the Canaanites" | Reasonable Faith
Yes, well, I take your point.  And let's not forget all the babies drowned in the Flood and the Egyptian first-borns killed by the angels in the days of Moses.  If God is omnipotent, then he is also responsible for the all suffering and deaths of every child who has ever lived.

QuoteRegarding cannibalism, I'm not sure what MatureMcLeod was referring to, but as a Catholic you are required to believe that you literally eat the body of Jesus when you receive communion, are you not?
Yes, but the Body and Blood of Christ remain in the form of bread and wine, so consuming them doesn't qualify as cannibalism.
Follow the evidence wherever it leads.

Dragonia

Quote from: Dredge on February 09, 2017, 12:06:11 AM
Yes, well, I take your point.  And let's not forget all the babies drowned in the Flood and the Egyptian first-borns killed by the angels in the days of Moses.  If God is omnipotent, then he is also responsible for the all suffering and deaths of every child who has ever lived.
Yes, about that..... If God is omnipotent, then he is also responsible for the deaths of every child who has ever died, for every child who has been raped while she prayed for God to help her, for every Christian martyred, for every "no" answer to every prayer request ever.
Which is why if there was a God like this, I would detest it. I would spit at it, I would feel betrayed by it, I would hate it.
But there's just NOT a God like this. So there's nobody to blame. People and life and luck is just shit sometimes. Period.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Arturo

I can't stand whenever someone justifies evil. I've seen Trump and Christians do this all the time. Trump will justify things such as rape and racism, while Christians justify things such as murder of babies and cannibalism.
Can you cite an example of 1) a Christian justifying the murder of babies; and 2) of cannibalism, please?

Yes, well, I take your point.  And let's not forget all the babies drowned in the Flood and the Egyptian first-borns killed by the angels in the days of Moses.  If God is omnipotent, then he is also responsible for the all suffering and deaths of every child who has ever lived.

QuoteRegarding cannibalism, I'm not sure what MatureMcLeod was referring to, but as a Catholic you are required to believe that you literally eat the body of Jesus when you receive communion, are you not?
Yes, but the Body and Blood of Christ remain in the form of bread and wine, so consuming them doesn't qualify as cannibalism.

So it's not the body and blood of jesus. It's just bread and wine.

Check mate theists.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Asmodean

He's responsible for the death of everything that ever lived though, no? Not just babies?

You know... Yes. It's a fair point to a non-spiritual person, however, most people who believe in the afterlife also believe that they will exist beyond their death in some form or another, often retaining their consciousness in the process. It diminishes the finality of death to the self-perceived concept of I, so I see the appeal, at least until you consider just how vast eternity is... And then square it. In any case, my point is that death means something different to someone who doesn't view it as the end of the road for the individual consciousness. It's a baseless rationalisation to any one outside such a faith, of course, but it does appear compelling and powerful to any one within.

Ah, the rights and wrongs and conceptual truths and falsehoods... So subjective as to render them useless in practically any intelligent conversation, yet there they are, always creeping up regardless. People put too much stock in their own feelings, is what I think. Whatever. What was I talking about?

That's a fine line to walk, but I have a different point to raise on the subject; if the wine does not literally turn into blood, and it does not figuratively turn into blood (As in; something is claimed to actually [read: physically] happen to the wine, as opposed to it being a metaphor of sorts) in what way does then the wine turn into blood? Does it contain like... Virtual leukocytes and such?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Recusant

Quote from: Apathy on February 09, 2017, 07:30:24 PM
I would personally prefer brains  :zombie:

Heresy! All true atheists want babies above all other foods. It is known.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on February 09, 2017, 08:29:13 PM
Quote from: Apathy on February 09, 2017, 07:30:24 PM
I would personally prefer brains  :zombie:

Heresy! All true atheists want babies above all other foods. It is known.

True.  :grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dredge

Quote from: Dragonia on February 09, 2017, 02:48:40 AM
Yes, about that..... If God is omnipotent, then he is also responsible for the deaths of every child who has ever died, for every child who has been raped while she prayed for God to help her, for every Christian martyred, for every "no" answer to every prayer request ever.
Which is why if there was a God like this, I would detest it. I would spit at it, I would feel betrayed by it, I would hate it.
But there's just NOT a God like this.
If this is the whole story, everyone would detest such a God.   So there must be more going on than just suffering.

Dredge

Quote from: Apathy on February 09, 2017, 04:32:21 AM

So it's not the body and blood of jesus. It's just bread and wine.

Check mate theists.
Your logic is deep and profound.   But the form and the substance are two different things.  It's God magic.

Dredge

Quote from: Asmodean on February 09, 2017, 09:50:19 AMThat's a fine line to walk, but I have a different point to raise on the subject; if the wine does not literally turn into blood, and it does not figuratively turn into blood (As in; something is claimed to actually [read: physically] happen to the wine, as opposed to it being a metaphor of sorts) in what way does then the wine turn into blood? Does it contain like... Virtual leukocytes and such?
Usually,  the bread and wine are indistinguishable from normal bread and wine, but there are several documented miracles which indicate that real flesh and blood are present.  That is to say, the bread  and wine have turned into real flesh and blood.  The Miracle of Lanciano is particularly interesting in this regard - the consecrated bread and wine turned into flesh and blood that were scientifically tested to reveal human heart tissue and human blood (both are type AB, the same type as the blood analysed from the Shroud of Turin).
Moreover, this miracle occurred in the 8th century AD, yet the flesh and blood have not deteriorated, despite being left in an unadulterated and natural state.

Accounts of other such miracles can be readily found on the web.

Recusant

If anybody believes that there is a solid provenance for the items that Linoli did his non peer reviewed tests on, I encourage them to contact me about an incredible deal on a piece of vital transportation infrastructure.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Dredge on February 15, 2017, 01:18:56 AM

Anything can be found on the web.

Recusant

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on February 15, 2017, 03:59:36 AM
Quote from: Dredge on February 15, 2017, 01:18:56 AM

Anything can be found on the web.

Just as pretty much anything could be found in churches in Middle Ages Europe, being venerated by the gullible. The medieval "relic trade" is infamous for its nearly complete lack of genuine relics.

There is no contemporary documentation for the alleged miracle of Lanciano--the first mention of it that can be found dates to 1636, about 900 years after the date the miracle supposedly occurred.

Even if we were foolish enough to accept the results of Linoli's tests, all they really show is that at some point somebody created the relics. It's rather probable that somebody was a charlatan whose purpose was to fleece those blinded by their faith.
— H. L. Mencken