News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Article - Let It Bleed: Libertarianism and the Workplace

Started by The Black Jester, July 13, 2012, 06:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Black Jester

An interesting critique of Libertarianism, and the indescriminate application of its priniciples to the workplace:

http://crookedtimber.org/2012/07/01/let-it-bleed-libertarianism-and-the-workplace/

The article is too long for a representative quote, but it is interesting, if anyone cares to read it.

Any resident Libertarians care to address the points of the authors?

The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Recusant

Quote from: The Black Jester on July 13, 2012, 06:27:52 PMAny resident Libertarians care to address the points of the authors?

Ha! Though I admit to having libertarian tendencies, and if coerced to state a political position would say, "anarcho-syndicalist," I consider libertarianism a snare and a delusion, and anarchism a pipe dream. So you won't get a defense of the libertarian position from me.   ;)

I read the article, and thought it worth my time. It is kind of ponderous, though. At the first mention of libertarians using UBI (universal basic income) as a way of preventing excessive workplace coercion, I started laughing, because you'll be hard put to find a libertarian who would agree to instituting such a thing. It took the authors several paragraphs to get to that point, however.

Thank you for posting that link. Libertarians and anarcho-capitalists aren't likely to be swayed by it (most of them seem impervious to any critiques of their world-view). Still, as somebody standing to one side, I'd say that it covered some interesting topics. I'll look through the comment section and see if there are any interesting responses.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

The Black Jester

Quote from: Recusant on July 13, 2012, 09:17:42 PM
Quote from: The Black Jester on July 13, 2012, 06:27:52 PMAny resident Libertarians care to address the points of the authors?

At the first mention of libertarians using UBI (universal basic income) as a way of preventing excessive workplace coercion, I started laughing, because you'll be hard put to find a libertarian who would agree to instituting such a thing. It took the authors several paragraphs to get to that point, however.

I did consider that my eyes might be deceiving me, as I couldn't conceive of a Libertarian defending such a position.  But the authors were referencing some self-declared Libertarians, though obviously of a heretical sect...
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Will

I think it's important to bear in mind that, for a libertarian (libertarian, in this case, meaning someone who believes in laissez faire economics almost as a religion), the right to personal property, including earned money, is the keystone of all rights. Equality isn't even on their radar screen, as fairness, to them, is synonymous with a world without government interference, or at least with so little government interference as to essentially render government powerless. They believe that, in a world with less government, we'll all be playing by the same market rules and, because of that, everything will be fair. Fairness isn't about a living wage or equal rights, but the (false) theory that everyone is paid according to their worth in the market, and that the market is inherently fair.

This is all crazy, of course, but I think it illustrates just how diverse personal ethics among people can be.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Tank

I've watched this libertarian 'thing' from a distance and not got involved in it because I don't really understand it. So here's a question based on Wills post.

All people are unique as a set of genes, memes and experiences (GM&E). Thus there is variability in the group. Will pointed out that a libertarian would have every body play by the same rules. As some people's GM&E would be more suited to success under the rules than others we have an in effect social Darwinism.

Am I understanding Will and 'Rules' correctly?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

I confess to have read only part of the link. At first blush I would conclude that a strict libertarian society would be an anarchistic society.  Personal liberties certainly have limitations in a practical and functional world. Our problem lies with the determination and acceptance of what those limitations might be.