News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Opinions on Out of Body Experiences?

Started by manga, April 06, 2017, 11:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Sandra Craft

Quote from: manga on April 06, 2017, 11:11:02 PM
It is experiences like this that make me wonder. They sound too complex for the brain to make up. What are your opinions?

My opinion is that dreams, and particularly nightmares, are evidence that the mind can make up incredibly complicated stuff.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

:sad sigh:
...So...no Demons or Lower Vibrational Entities came to visit me last night. There was a platypus in my dreams. Oh, and a Chinese man who just wanted to sing nursery rhymes.
Oh, well.  :sad sigh:

I'll keep trying.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 08, 2017, 04:09:13 PM
Quote from: manga on April 06, 2017, 11:11:02 PM
It is experiences like this that make me wonder. They sound too complex for the brain to make up. What are your opinions?

My opinion is that dreams, and particularly nightmares, are evidence that the mind can make up incredibly complicated stuff.

I think it can also be the mind trying to find a reason for an actual experience whilst asleep.

Part of my heart condition means that I suffer periods of shortness of breath at night, luckily not so often these days. When I do have such a period it is always accompanied by a dream of exertion - climbing, running, swimming, cycling . . . making love . . .  Sometimes there is an element of danger in the dream but not always.

I have experienced many sounds being incorporated, usually inaccurately, into dreams. Once it was a bell type alarm clock became an old-fashioned fire engine bell - which shows how fast even the sleeping brain can work!

Lucid dreams are different, part of the brain seems to remain, er, lucid. You are aware that you are dreaming but cannot control the content. You can, however, stop and restart the dream if you do not like the way it is developing. Most annoying if it refuses to take a "nicer" path though - it is possible to be annoyed whilst still asleep it seems!

But, pragmatic as ever, I recognise that there is a psychic or somatic origin for the dream, ain't no way there is any prediction there. I never let them bother me, unless they seem symptomatic of another condition. Oh, except for any degradation in the quality of sleep, that's a big yawn sometimes.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

Astral sex ? Bullshit.  Teen agers have wet dreams that are not the least astral or OBE. Just hormonal  imaginative hyperactivity.  If you did not have these dreams in your youth you were deprived of some of life's virtual adventures. If you did have these dreams, Jesus will send you to Baptist hell.

Arturo

Quote from: Icarus on May 17, 2017, 01:54:20 AM
Astral sex ? Bullshit.  Teen agers have wet dreams that are not the least astral or OBE. Just hormonal  imaginative hyperactivity.  If you did not have these dreams in your youth you were deprived of some of life's virtual adventures. If you did have these dreams, Jesus will send you to Baptist hell.

I had one last week. My second in my whole life. Maybe I should have seen a doctor...
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱