News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

American Green Party: Clinton is Worse Than Trump

Started by Recusant, November 02, 2016, 03:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Having looked askance at Jill Stein's waffling about vaccines (she's not an anti-vaxxer, but issues statements that can be read as sympathetic to the anti-vaccine crowd), as well as her "concerns" about WiFi and her proposed moratorium on GMOs (source), it seems clear to me that the Greens aren't really a great choice for an ethical protest vote.

The latest dubious comments coming from the American Greens about the choice between Clinton and Trump only confirm that opinion.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

They are taking votes away from Clinton, thus making it slightly more likely that Trump will win.  Although, overall, I still think Clinton wins, so the 3rd parties aren't having nearly the impact I feared.

Sandra Craft

The American Green Party has been a huge disappointment to me.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Velma

The fact that Stein can say she'd sleep easier with Donald "I can be baited with a tweet or offhand remark" Trump at the wheel than Hillary "I've kept my cool in all sorts of situations" Clinton, along with her other statements, proves to me that the woman has no idea what she's talking about and hasn't paid the least bit of attention to anything going on in this election cycle. She sounds like someone from an alt-right site in many of those comments.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Asmodean

I generally dislike the greener sort of politicians. You see, I don't buy what they are selling.

Yes, I think humans do contribute to global climate change, I just don't see how it is a problem on quite the scale it's being presented on. More to the point, in what way is it my problem on that same scale?

Climate change. Yes, and..? Why must we stop and/or reverse it "at any cost?" From what I understand, when all them fossil fuels we burn now lived and breathed, the CO2-levels in the atmosphere were much higher than they are today, and yet life was thriving. I see no reason to assume that humanity will not survive a global climate change caused by our species' activity. Life will certainly survive it - this is relatively mild compared to some of the great extinctions of the past billion or so years.

So those who say "to save the world," well... Fuck you. It will still be here long after we are nothing but dust. Polar bears..? Yes, they are cute when young. Yes, they have big teeth and probably do bite. Also, species die. Death is an inevitable result of life and may in turn breed new life by opening niches in the food chain formerly occupied by some extinct animal. So yeah... I have to get an electric car to save Rudyard the Polar Bear because..?

Also, what brilliant plan do those people have for when Yellowstone finally blows its lid? What about the Sun going red giant? What about some star with just the right rotational axis going gamma ray, or the myriad other things the Universe is trying to wipe us out with? If we can trust technological development to take care of all that, why can we not trust it to figure out ways of working around the changing climate? Why must the solution involve me settling for less?

So there we have it. I'm absolutely with those who want to pour money into tech that has the potential of reducing the overall human footprint on this planet as much as possible, but I am equally absolutely and quite vocally in opposition to those who say that I must conform to some bullshit lifestyle in order to preserve this fruit bat or that toad or... Venice. And by the way, are we sure that we will indeed preserve it rather than buy it, say, two hundred more years of rising sea levels and other miseries? Are we?

...Not quite finished, really, but out of time for now. May continue ranting later.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

No Green party for me either. Here in Germany, they are too far removed from reality. For example they think that people learn Arabic, so that the million(s) of illegal immigrants feel better at home. They can't stand any criticism. If you don't agree with them they'll call you a neo-liberal, racist, xenophobe or worse. They still believe that the illegal immigrants are well educated and will enrich the German culture. They also trust that they can solve "Global Warming" by raising new taxes.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Sandra Craft

Sandy

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Harmonie

Quote from: Velma on November 03, 2016, 06:20:16 AM
The fact that Stein can say she'd sleep easier with Donald ...

I admit I totally read this in the wrong context.  :doh:

Thank goodness no images in my mind came as a result. lol

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Sandy

Asmodean

...Seems kind of pointless now, but I will resume my eco-rant when time so allows.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.