News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Lark

Started by Recusant, December 16, 2023, 06:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Lark was an amazing, wonderful lady, and I loved her.

We met playing Go online in the mid-oughts. We chatted while we played and got to know each other a bit, and began to correspond by email. As it turned out, before we met online she and her son had already planned to travel from England to attend the US Go Congress that was set to convene in the city not far from where I lived. So we got to spend some time together and got on as well in person as we had in text. There was a significant difference in our ages but we genuinely enjoyed each other's company.

She invited me to visit her in England, and I accepted. It was a leap for both of us but not unfounded. Over the years I often returned to England and she came to the US a few times. Later we spent a fair bit of time exploring France.

She was a student nurse in London during WWII, and became a midwife in the early 50s. Later she became a district nurse (she taught herself to drive because it was required for the work). After she retired she was a Samaritan for several years.

She became a member of this site well over ten years ago and participated in some discussions, but long ago was put off by some snarky comments from another member. Still, she was a regular contributor to the photo challenge and enjoyed that a lot.

She wasn't an atheist. She was nominally a Christian but more accurately she was an agnostic who had optimism for a wonderful afterlife. She didn't attend services, though we visited many cathedrals and churches together.

She and I spent time together online daily till shortly before she died. I will miss her deeply.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

i am sorry to hear of yourloss.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Recusant

Thanks. I was lucky to have known her.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Life gives a lot. But the more it gives the more bereavement takes away. So sorry for your loss.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

Sounds like a real class gal. Sorry for your loss.

Tom62

That is sad news. She was a great lady and will be missed. Sorry for your loss.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

hermes2015

You were indeed lucky to have known her. In the few PMs we shared it became clear to me that she was a very special person.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Recusant

Thank you all. I don't share a lot of my personal life here (or elsewhere online) but she was a member of this site and deserves commemoration. She wrote some bits of memoir and gave me permission to post at least some of that here. At some point I intend to do so.
— H. L. Mencken