News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Photography technical advice, questions, tips and techniques.

Started by Tank, July 30, 2018, 10:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Yes, sorry, I forgot that the lens was not on the camera body in your setup. But anyway, the software control may be of interest to you in future.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 11, 2018, 05:44:39 PM
Yes, sorry, I forgot that the lens was not on the camera body in your setup. But anyway, the software control may be of interest to you in future.

Yes, have managed to get the Nikon WIFI program working but it only gives live view, no apparent conttol of speed etc. Oh, just remembered the camera is on M, maybe that makes a difference. Connection is a bit tortuous with Android, ended up having to switch the router off-on, the normal button method did not work.

NFC can be just as fiddly but superior in that it works anywhere with the devices in range - about the same range as Bluetooth I think - with some control over the camera functions.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

I use digiCamControl for focus stacking. It also has a motion trigger function that takes a shot whenever movement is detected, but I haven't used that.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 11, 2018, 06:29:01 PM
I use digiCamControl for focus stacking. It also has a motion trigger function that takes a shot whenever movement is detected, but I haven't used that.

I haven't got round to stoking ip the PC yet - spent most of the day on it reformatting half my friend's book. Her use of word processing is rudimentary . . .

That job is going to cost her a posh dinner out somewhere!

Dave

Thinking about my idea tgst the camera should be on the bellows carriage with the lens at the end I took another look at the unit . . . Ah!

This is what it looked like, camera bayonet on fixed end, lens on carriage:

This is what it looks like now, camera bayonet on carriage:

And all set up:

Luckily both the mount fixings were the same in terms of size and attachment and I was able to reverse the carriage. Seems mechanically no weaker, though I have plans to beef it slightly, and it actually balances better on the tripod now.

Simple, ennit!?

hermes2015

Well, that is excellent. Strangely enough, your solution actually came to mind just after your first post, but I thought you must have considered it and rejected it for some mechanical reason. I'm happy that this simple solution worked.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 12, 2018, 10:32:23 AM
Well, that is excellent. Strangely enough, your solution actually came to mind just after your first post, but I thought you must have considered it and rejected it for some mechanical reason. I'm happy that this simple solution worked.

Great minds thing alike, eh, Hermes?

I had the advantage of having the thing in my hands but was looking too much at the overall picture and not the detail. The solution actually came whilst brushing my teeth. Bathrooms are often places of inspiration as well as evacuation and ablution! Archemedes found that . . .

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on September 12, 2018, 10:44:19 AM

I had the advantage of having the thing in my hands but was looking too much at the overall picture and not the detail. The solution actually came whilst brushing my teeth. Bathrooms are often places of inspiration as well as evacuation and ablution! Archemedes found that . . .

Does the "foot" on the camera carriage not prevent you from getting to the minimum bellows extension? In the original orientation full use of the track length was not possible. With the new orientation you can extend further, but the minimum is longer than before. Does that make sense?
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 12, 2018, 10:53:15 AM

Does the "foot" on the camera carriage not prevent you from getting to the minimum bellows extension? In the original orientation full use of the track length was not possible. With the new orientation you can extend further, but the minimum is longer than before. Does that make sense?

Yes, there is about 6mm less bellows compression with the carriage reversed, but I don't think that will be critical in terms of % image size. Maybe refucing the lens-subject distance will compensate. I am not too bothered and would tend rowards extension tubes rather than the bellows in that range.

Have you seen the new Nikon 45.7Mp Z series mirrorless camera?

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/mirrorless-cameras/overview.page

Only £3 400+

Cheaper 24.5Mp version (but faster frame rate) at a mere £2 100+!

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on September 12, 2018, 11:24:53 AM

Yes, there is about 6mm less bellows compression with the carriage reversed, but I don't think that will be critical in terms of % image size. Maybe refuding the lens-subject distance will compensate. I am not too bothered and would tend rowards extension tubes rather than the bellows in that range.

Only £3 400+

Yes, I've been following it with interest, but at this point the interest is only academic. My D600 is still quite good enough for my needs. It has 24.3Mp and almost all the features I want in a camera.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 12, 2018, 11:34:40 AM
Quote from: Dave on September 12, 2018, 11:24:53 AM

Yes, there is about 6mm less bellows compression with the carriage reversed, but I don't think that will be critical in terms of % image size. Maybe refuding the lens-subject distance will compensate. I am not too bothered and would tend rowards extension tubes rather than the bellows in that range.

Only £3 400+

Yes, I've been following it with interest, but at this point the interest is only academic. My D600 is still quite good enough for my needs. It has 24.3Mp and almost all the features I want in a camera.

Same here! But mirrorless seemed such an obvious path. The mirror is an SLR archaism from the 35mm days when there were no electronic viewfinders. All my digital compacts have been mirrorless . . .

Dave

Getting there! The green thing is an X-Y 'milling' table that is just about OK for drilling and milling balsa wood to + - 0.5mm, but it was cheap and makes an excelent micro positioning table for this purpose.

Next part of project is a base board with mounting positions for the table, bit like that other board I made, and something to attach the tripod column to it very stably. At the moment there are too many wobbly bits! Or, maybe, a structure made to take the pan/tilt head and raise and lower it with a length of 10mm studding, a Merton nut/bushes and a windy handle . . . Even an electric motor . . . Possibly controlled by a BBC Micro-bit or an Arduino . . . With limit switches . . .

This is where I have to substitute wood for metal, got a big sheet of 8mm ply, a jig saw, router, big bottle of PVA wood adhesive and lots of long 6mm and 8mm bolts! Might at least do a series of photos for this one if not a film. Probably operating the remote control with my teeth when both hands are in use . . . Or I could make a foot switch box to take it . . .

Later: so much wobble that merely holding that little release cable, to get better dof, gives a very blurry image. Also something to rotate the object is needed. Haven't got a big enough cog/worm drive/rack in my bits box.

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on September 12, 2018, 02:36:43 PM

Getting there! The green thing is an X-Y 'milling' table that is just about OK for drilling and milling balsa wood to + - 0.5mm, but it was cheap and makes an excelent micro positioning table for this purpose.

Next part of project is a base board with mounting positions for the table, bit like that other board I made, and something to attach the tripod column to it very stably. At the moment there are too many wobbly bits! Or, maybe, a structure made to take the pan/tilt head and raise and lower it with a length of 10mm studding, a Merton nut/bushes and a windy handle . . . Even an electric motor . . . Possibly controlled by a BBC Micro-bit or an Arduino . . . With limit switches . . .

And a DRO... in all seriousness, I'm pretty sure there are a few import rotry tables on the market now that are inexpensive. Stepper motors and a controller might get you where you want to be as well.

As an aside, how is that x-y table? I'm tempted by them fairly often but wonder how steady it would be with a vise mounted. This conversation might be more appropriate for the fixit thread.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Hmm, remember I was looking for the 'light meter' display on the Info screen? I downloaded a non-Nikon user manual onto my Kindle and searched in that. Found it. But.

Seems this function only works using connected auto lenses only in the Manual mode. So, using a bellows, even a Nikon bellows, and /or the BR-6 or similar adapter one has to rely on guess work and test shots, rather than setting the apperture or speed for the purpose and adjusting the other with guidance.

Ho, hum.

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz