News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Velma on June 24, 2012, 05:45:09 AM
Saw Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter tonight.  It was awesomely bad.  All it needed to be complete was three little heads in the corner.    ;D
LOL what a surprise!!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Velma

Quote from: Tank on June 24, 2012, 05:30:33 PM
Quote from: Velma on June 24, 2012, 05:45:09 AM
Saw Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter tonight.  It was awesomely bad.  All it needed to be complete was three little heads in the corner.    ;D
LOL what a surprise!!!
Yeah, I was shocked - NOT!  I have to admit that Abe had some moves going on with that ax, however.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Asmodean

Yet another movie His Grayness won't bother with. There have been to few good films in my area of preference lately.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on June 24, 2012, 06:46:20 PM
Yet another movie His Grayness won't bother with. There have been to few good films in my area of preference lately.
In my opinion, only two good movies a year come out. I'm very picky.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on June 24, 2012, 07:10:32 PM
In my opinion, only two good movies a year come out. I'm very picky.
For me, it's usually zero to one. And then I may discover a few more from the year in question much later.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Some young people are still courteous and helpful.  A young college student who lives in my building always opens and holds the door for me when we meet entering or leaving the building.  He may well be putting himself thru college by dealing or pimping or both, but he's very proper with me!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Asmodean

I find it insulting when people open doors for me unless I'm carrying a mountain of crap. There is, after all, nothing wrong with my motor skills and my IQ is quite sufficient to operate a door. No need to treat me like an invalid, thank you very much.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Amicale

I'm with BCE on this one, I always appreciate someone holding a door open for me, whether or not I'm carrying items. I just see it as a friendly, helpful gesture. Nothing more. :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Amicale on June 25, 2012, 04:31:27 AM
I'm with BCE on this one, I always appreciate someone holding a door open for me, whether or not I'm carrying items. I just see it as a friendly, helpful gesture. Nothing more. :)

Me too, particularly since I'm on the shady side of 50 with a limp.  And besides, I've held plenty of doors open in my time, I like being on the receiving end more often now.
Sandy

The Magic Pudding

Hmm doors, there's many factors to take into consideration.  If you open and go through a door and there's someone behind you I think it's reasonable to hold it a bit or give it an extra push so it doesn't close in their face.  I don't think I conform to the usual attractiveness of approaching person/time door held ratio, after all if the world has been kind to them they shouldn't accept extra kindness from me.  If I see BooksCats coming and she's looking particularly wobbly I'll probably pause a bit longer to hold the door, it wouldn't hurt if she bows her back a little and dons a mournful expression.

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on June 25, 2012, 10:38:46 AM
Hmm doors, there's many factors to take into consideration.  If you open and go through a door and there's someone behind you I think it's reasonable to hold it a bit or give it an extra push so it doesn't close in their face.  I don't think I conform to the usual attractiveness of approaching person/time door held ratio, after all if the world has been kind to them they shouldn't accept extra kindness from me.  If I see BooksCats coming and she's looking particularly wobbly I'll probably pause a bit longer to hold the door, it wouldn't hurt if she bows her back a little and dons a mournful expression.
Yes. See, this is reasonable, as defined in The Gray Tome.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

Attractiveness shouldn't be a factor in door holding etiquette. I generally only go out of my way if the person has their arms full, or has an obvious mobility incomberence.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

Agreed.  I don't think that attractiveness should be part of the equation.  But I would never knowingly let the door close in someone's face if they were coming in behind me, that's just rude.  Has nothing to do with treating them like an invalid.  And like most of you, I take extra care to hold the door if someone has their arms full or seems to have mobility issues.  I appreciate when someone is polite enough to hold the door for me, and I return the favor to those around me.

Sandra Craft

If I see BooksCats coming and she's looking particularly wobbly I'll probably pause a bit longer to hold the door, it wouldn't hurt if she bows her back a little and dons a mournful expression.

What if I gave you a dazzling smile and a cheerful thank you?  What if I gave you a homemade cookie?  (In some circles, I'm known as the Cookie Goddess)

Me, I just hold the door automatically if I get to it first, no matter who's coming up behind me or approaching from the other side.  I also automatically give a quick look around just to make sure I haven't missed seeing someone approaching.
Sandy

no_god_know_peace

One of my best friends temporarily moved back to our home town for the summer and now I get to spend more time with her (instead of only seeing her twice a year). That makes me very cheerful :)