News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 05, 2012, 04:01:40 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 05, 2012, 03:51:17 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 05, 2012, 03:42:39 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on January 05, 2012, 03:38:57 PM
I'm cheerful because, at this time of day, the sun shines directly into our apartment and makes most of our living space all warm and cozy.
And I have tea.
In my Tardis mug.
;D

I have never watched Doctor Who, but I want to. Do I start with the original Doctor, or does it not matter?

No. Don't start with the original Dr now. Start with the first of the new stuff were Christopher Eccleston plays the Dr.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_%28series_1%29

The historical stuff is very dated now and the new stuff still has the 'spirit' as it was created by a huge fan Russell T Davies who really brought the characters up to date.

Thanks Tank. We get the BBC at our house and I think it should be on Netflix. Now I can watch the BBC without it being Topgear (which is fun to watch, but I am car illiterate) I've also noticed that Doctor Who has gotten extremely popular with Americans lately. Have they finally accepted the fact that there own TV programs are rubbish? :D
Well what is really scary is that one of the most popular BBC programmes in the USA is 'Keeping Up Appearences.' Which is absolute unmitigated S**t!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on January 05, 2012, 05:04:24 PM

Well what is really scary is that one of the most popular BBC programmes in the USA is 'Keeping Up Appearences.' Which is absolute unmitigated S**t!

Have you seen some of the stuff they come up with? Jersey Shore, 16 and Pregnant, Toddlers and Tiaras. I could go on. Quality is obviously not important in TV. I hardly even watch it anymore, just my weekly Bones every Thursday.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Why would anyone say something bad about Jersey Shore? What could be more fun than watching a traffic cone get arrested for public intoxication?!?!?
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 05, 2012, 05:12:39 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 05, 2012, 05:04:24 PM

Have you seen some of the stuff they come up with? Jersey Shore, 16 and Pregnant, Toddlers and Tiaras. I could go on. Quality is obviously not important in TV. I hardly even watch it anymore, just my weekly Bones every Thursday.
Well the problem with the US consumer market is that it's so big! As long as you can get 3 million viewers and your costs aren't exceptional you can make a good living. And 50% of 'Mercans have an IQ below 100 (the same could be said for all countries as 100 is adjusted) so rubbish has a bigger market there.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Quote from: Robert on January 05, 2012, 05:28:20 PM
Why would anyone say something bad about Jersey Shore? What could be more fun than watching a traffic cone get arrested for public intoxication?!?!?

The fact that people in Indiana are trying to imitate them. It's getting annoying hearing all the girls complaining about the cold while wearing shorts that don't even cover their butts.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

I am originally from IL so I know how cold it gets up there. I used to walk around in freezer gear and a ski mask, so I must say that anyone complaining about the cold while wearing shorts gets a big no sh!t from me.  I can't imagine anyone actually imitating those people.  Nobody drinks like that and looks like them either. For men it's called steroids, women it's diet pills.  I can just about guarantee that snooki will be dead before 40 if she keeps it up.  Ronni will probably die from one of his pecs exploding like a grenade.  If anyone is thinking that this is supposed to be a reason to be cheerful thread, I can think of no greater reason than some of those people being taken off the face of the Earth.  Or at least the face of American television.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Buddy

To balance out the negative I will now post something cheerful. Kittens. Puppies. Baby rats. Rainbows.

Crow

Ah but the States has HBO and that makes up for all the crap that is produced, any country that produces TV series such as The Wire, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, Treme, Boardwalk Empire, Eastbound & Down, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Real Time with Bill Maher, Mildred Pierce, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Hung, Generation Kill, Flight of the Conchords, Big Love, Deadwood, Six Feet Under, and How to Make It in America is alright with me.
Retired member.

Buddy

Quote from: Crow on January 05, 2012, 05:50:34 PM

Ah but the States has HBO and that makes up for all the crap that is produced, any country that produces TV series such as The Wire, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, Treme, Boardwalk Empire, Eastbound & Down, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Real Time with Bill Maher, Mildred Pierce, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Hung, Generation Kill, Flight of the Conchords, Big Love, Deadwood, Six Feet Under, and How to Make It in America is alright with me.

Is that a TV show? I know the band Flight of the Conchords, but never heard of a Show by the same name.

No mention of Family guy or South Park  >:(  Those are the true classics of American T.V.  Any group of people that can write, animate, and voice an entire episode about the presidential election in a few weeks and have it on T.V. the day of the election is pretty talented.  The episode I am reffering to was quite hilarious as well. Now somebody help me here how are baby rats cheerful? Have you ever seen a rat in New york? Even the baby ones would bite your hand off!!

Buddy

I've never liked South Park or Family Guy. I enjoy some crude humor, but I think they take it too far.  :-\  I was referencing more towards the healthy, captive baby rat. I used to have two females and they were as sweet as could be.

WOOT! Six hundred posts! 1000 is getting ever closer  ;D

Yes rats are very cheerful. Other than the whole rats and their fleas being responsible for the bubonic plague which killed around 25 million people, yeah really cheerful.  :P   

Traveler

...just my weekly Bones every Thursday.

I love Bones!!! I've got FIOS and I can get Bones repeats at least every other day. :)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Buddy

Quote from: Traveler on January 05, 2012, 06:38:56 PM
...just my weekly Bones every Thursday.

I love Bones!!! I've got FIOS and I can get Bones repeats at least every other day. :)

Heck Yea! I have Netflix, so I usually watch older episodes there. Or if I miss them, I go to Hulu.

I am really liking this season so far. I wish they wouldn't skip weeks for new episodes though.