News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Scams

Started by Dave, June 09, 2018, 02:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on July 05, 2018, 02:25:32 PM
In the past 4 days I have had: one Asian accented person called "Max", one recorded human voice and one robovoice telling me that my BT Internet/Broadband cable will be disconnected today/tomorrow.

Dunno what the actual scam is, I am not on BT. Should have let the Asian guy go through his whole spiel before telling him to go boil his head!

Probably that they "cannot access my account to renew the rental and would I please send them all my bank details."

Why don't you tell them about your sciatica?
Margery, she was my true love, she never knew.
My toe nails don't seem to grow as fast as they did.
We haven't had a proper PM since Pitt the younger...
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Phone Phishing! Which reminds me:

Some scammers target hospitals as well. Didn't happen in my inner circle but one university professor and his wife (I think his name was Fischer...not sure, though), whose son was admitted to hospital with some serious condition, got a call from scammers saying something along the lines of if they wanted the hospital to treat their son further, they would have to make a deposit. They were given a bank account with a social security number.

Thing is, these scammers aren't the brightest in the flock. A bank account and social security number? Seriously? Anyone with half a brain can see that no hospital would do that.

They prey on desperate people, just like snake-oil peddlers and priests, except these two latter types of scammers don't do it in hiding.     
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

^ Hilarious Dave.  Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

joeactor

Dave

Quote from: joeactor on July 09, 2018, 09:12:04 PM
I play this for them:
http://www.joesdump.com/audio/RoboAnswer_JoeActor_20130930_LoopIt.mp3

Did you do HAL2000 Joe? I was waiting for the voice to say, "Dave" somewhere in there!

Pardon my memory if this has been covered before.

Hmm, will have to find a way to connect a recorder to play on my phone . . . Hey, got a splicer to record incoming calls in the bits draw, wonder if it plays out as well?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

joeactor

Quote from: Dave on July 09, 2018, 10:14:33 PM
Quote from: joeactor on July 09, 2018, 09:12:04 PM
I play this for them:
http://www.joesdump.com/audio/RoboAnswer_JoeActor_20130930_LoopIt.mp3

Did you do HAL2000 Joe? I was waiting for the voice to say, "Dave" somewhere in there!

Pardon my memory if this has been covered before.

Hmm, will have to find a way to connect a recorder to play on my phone . . . Hey, got a splicer to record incoming calls in the bits draw, wonder if it plays out as well?

Oh yeah... Hal's inside me somewhere...

xSilverPhinx

^ Portal :love:

"Daisy, Daisy..." :lol:

joeactor

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 10, 2018, 01:42:26 AM

I've been replaying Portal 2 - so amazing...

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: joeactor on July 10, 2018, 08:15:53 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 10, 2018, 01:42:26 AM

I've been replaying Portal 2 - so amazing...

:P I must have played it 4 times already, always looking for alternative ways to solve the puzzles...

Dark Lightning

We just got a new phone a few weeks ago that plays a message, ""Enter 1 to continue". This stops all robocalls, since the software doesn't yet have that level of sophistication. Since our TV and phone are provided by the same company, the calling number shows up on the TV. So, my wife can tell me when a call has been blocked (I watch maybe 1 hour of TV a month, main exposure is when walking through that room). The phone used to ring 10-12 times a day with this crap. Now, it rings maybe once or twice. Cell phones are not immune, btw; I have more blocked numbers than I have contacts!  ::)

Asmodean

Oh, them helpdesk scammers are awesome for targeting with counter-scams!

There are things I can and cannot say, but I can say that there are lists of their phone numbers out there, which an enterprising Internet troll can call and for example let them rummage on a slightly modified and well-disguised Virtual Machine. They are getting good at spotting the like, though, so some any-old-iron hardware, which you don't use for anything other than a paperweight and some occasional lulz is recommended.

This feels a bit like a mandatory disclaimer, but I actually mean it; if you do take up this hobby, do not do stuff like break into their bank accounts, install malware on their client fleet or anything like that. That would be bad, not to mention highly illegal. There is plenty of innocent fun to be had wasting their time and trying to make their heads explode without exposing yourself to any sort of practical liability.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Asmodean on October 15, 2018, 12:33:56 PM
Oh, them helpdesk scammers are awesome for targeting with counter-scams!

There are things I can and cannot say, but I can say that there are lists of their phone numbers out there, which an enterprising Internet troll can call and for example let them rummage on a slightly modified and well-disguised Virtual Machine. They are getting good at spotting the like, though, so some any-old-iron hardware, which you don't use for anything other than a paperweight and some occasional lulz is recommended.

This feels a bit like a mandatory disclaimer, but I actually mean it; if you do take up this hobby, do not do stuff like break into their bank accounts, install malware on their client fleet or anything like that. That would be bad, not to mention highly illegal. There is plenty of innocent fun to be had wasting their time and trying to make their heads explode without exposing yourself to any sort of practical liability.

Heh, my favorite (which I myself got caught in one time) was when one of my friends made a recording as follows:

[click] "Hello? Hello? Is there someone there? I can barely hear anything. If you're there, please speak up. Hello? Hello?" Etc., until he finally says, "Leave a message". Of course, by then one is yelling at the phone to be heard. :lol: I SO wanted to put this message on our phone, but the wife pointed out that anytime anyone legit called, they'd have to wait through that blather, so I didn't do it.