News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Oblivion

Started by DropLogic, October 05, 2010, 07:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DropLogic

I don't know where to post this.  But I feel the need to say a few words.
A close co-worker friend of mine decided to end his life last night.  He was friends with many people here, was a talented programmer, and had a wonderfully cynical sense of humor.  
I don't know how far down you have to be to end it all, and not even try to call someone...I really don't know what else to say.  I've known five suicides in my life, and each time I don't know how to handle it.  A mixture of anger, sorrow, and sometimes relief that maybe this was the only way they could find peace.  Sometimes I laugh...I don't know why I do that, nor do I like it.  It's weird.

Asmodean

Some people need to be really far gone to attempt something like that... Others - not. At the risk of sounding cold, I guess he had his reasons and those reasons were enough for him to opt out of life... In my opinion, such reasons should be respected since one's life is ultimately one's own to do with as one wills.

For me, dealing with my own "tendencies" and those of others always seems to boil down to respecting the right to choose. Not necessarilly the choice itself, but the fact that it may not have been yours to make.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dretlin

Quote from: "DropLogic"I don't know where to post this.  But I feel the need to say a few words.
A close co-worker friend of mine decided to end his life last night.  He was friends with many people here, was a talented programmer, and had a wonderfully cynical sense of humor.  
I don't know how far down you have to be to end it all, and not even try to call someone...I really don't know what else to say.  I've known five suicides in my life, and each time I don't know how to handle it.  A mixture of anger, sorrow, and sometimes relief that maybe this was the only way they could find peace.  Sometimes I laugh...I don't know why I do that, nor do I like it.  It's weird.

I am sorry to hear of your loss and of the ones you have suffered in the past.

I am far too naive in matters such as this to give any advice with even a shred of confidence or conviction. Though I can perhaps understand that your emotions could be complicated, so experiencing laughter as you said you have, may not be bad at all, but a way of coping with grief.

Whitney

I'm sorry for your loss.

I don't think there is any one way you are suppose to act when faced with unexpected death.  You shouldn't be concerned that you sometimes laugh, it could be a defense mechanism that is part of the grieving process for you.  I've only dealt with one suicide and it wasn't even someone I knew that well but he was in my class in college and most of us had been around him not long before he decided to kill himself; I think there is always that sense of thinking there was something that could have been done...but don't think that way because it's not like there is anything any of us can do for our friends in these situations unless they come to us for help in their darker hours.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "DropLogic"I don't know where to post this.  But I feel the need to say a few words.
Don't be too hard on yourself about laughing.
There are nervous laughs, it doesn't mean you are amused.

Lifeline is an organisation which tries to help those thinking of suicide and those left behind.
http://www.lifeline.org.au/ArticleDocum ... S.pdf.aspx
http://www.lifeline.org.au/Find-Help/He ... fault.aspx

DropLogic

wow, just wow.  
Some of the Christians around here are saying they aren't sorry for him, because he took his own life, he will go to hell.
I asked them if they truly honestly in their heart believe that, and asked why they can't show at least a shred of respect for the man they once called friend.  
I'm so angry with these fucking bigots right now.   :shake:

Asmodean

Are not Christians supposed to feel sorry for the Hellbound..? Try to save them and pray for them and all that..?  :raised: Or did I misunderstand the reason they sometimes appear at my door..?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

JasonHaynes

I haven't known anyone, even barely, that has ever actually killed them self, but I can imagine how hard it must be. Life gets tough, sometimes things happen that aren't in our control, sometimes people just can't imagine going on for one more day. In a way some suicidals are martyrs, they think they're more of a burden to the world in life than they could be in death, even when its probably not true. This is a sad concept, but maybe the person truly is happier with whatever happens after death, weather it be hell, heaven, purgatory, a vast blackness, a simple ceasing of existence, or even reincarnation as a fly, difference begets happiness as its an escape from the current situation, no matter how brief. I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm not entirely sorry for what happened, perhaps it was for the better.